Davenport & Shapiro (www.DavenportandShapiro.com) will kickoff its 2012 exhibition schedule with an in depth exploration of fine, new works by contemporary artists Harriette Joffe, Eddie Rehm, and Emanuel Buckvar. “We also will highlight some fantastically evocative works by female artists past and present and consider why they should remain overlooked and undervalued when their work is of such high quality,” says owner Howard Shapiro. “To conclude the season, we’ll be taking a humorous look at the circus in American art, which is always a sought after subject matter,” says co-owner Len Davenport. The gallery will conclude its exhibition season with an exhibition of work by up-and-coming East End Long Island artists.
Davenport and Shapiro are also excited to announce the opening of a “Young Collectors” space at the gallery featuring less expensive high quality works and works on paper specially selected for novice collectors who are interested in acquiring one-of-a-kind pieces and growing with their collection. The new space will be open at the beginning of the summer season in May 2012.
Davenport & Shapiro 2012 Exhibition Schedule:
- May 24 – June 18. Eddie Rehm & Emanuel Buckvar. After a well-regarded fall show, emerging artists Eddie Rehm and Emanuel Buckvar will return to kick off the 2012 summer season. Eddie Rehm’s “instant gratification abstract” works are insistently his own, exploring current socio-economic topics through his own experience and conflicts. His paintings radiate an intense masculine virility, even anger, or, as he terms it, “belligerence.” Buckvar has overcome many challenges in life to create a new approach to drip and splatter paintings and throw down abstract expressionism.
- June 21 – July 23. Harriette Joffe: A Lifetime’s Journey features new works and a retrospective of a lifetime of painting by this luminous “New York School” painter well-known in the Hamptons. Having previewed her new “Riversong” series, we believe collectors will react as strongly to this work as we have. The show will be curated by Robert Linsley.
- July 26 – August 20. Overlooked, Undervalued and Underpriced: Women Painters of the Pre-Contemporary Era asks a simple question: Why are so many quality female painters still overlooked by collectors and the art world in general? We hope to open a discussion about why they shouldn’t be and hopefully expose the area to some stunning work that would be a blessing in any collection.
- August 23 – September 10. Circus presents a fond, light-hearted look at the circus and its performers in American art.
- Finally, Davenport & Shapiro concludes its fall presentations with a September exhibition of up-and-coming East End painters. We are actively seeking submissions.
Please feel free to call or e-mail anyone listed below if you need any further information or have questions. Please contact by e-mail if this release is used for print, online, or any other form of press publication. Thank You.
GALLERY OWNERS / DIRECTORS
Len Davenport and Howard Shapiro
37 Newtown Lane
East Hampton, NY 11931