The erect human penis, in the history of art, religion and culture, once used to be of paramount significance. One of the earliest discovered painted representations of a human figure was, in fact, in a Lascaux cave, dating back thousands of years, where a human figure with the head of a bird stands with […]
Paper was originally developed by the Egyptians over 5000 years ago from a marsh grass called Cyperous Papyrus, which was cut in to strips and softened with the muddy waters of the Nile. Paper is, in fact, one of the most popular materials with which to fabricate art; it’s easily accessible and cheap. It is […]
It has been a year of variety and surprises as to the range of shows we’ve covered. Any singular thing does not quantify the degree of how a show leaves a deep impression as it can be one tiny detail or a grand statement. Such trivial thoughts are best left to the wind as we […]
To me the current group show at Bill Hodges Gallery asks such questions as: Historically, how have African American artists had to navigate through an art world dominated by white artists, gallery owners and critics? How have things changed since the time of Norman Lewis and Jacob Lawrence? To what extent do black artists owe […]
If we look at the history of portrait painting, Lynette Yiadom-Boakye’s work, at Jack Shainman’s Gallery on 20th street, is quite subversive of this genre on a few levels, but in subtle and even disarming ways.
First of all, these pieces just don’t seem to fit any of the previous categories in the field of […]
I’d already had my share of overly-saturated experiences on Friday before I got to The Future Is Now at 60 Orchard Street so I didn’t stick around long enough to enjoy the party that seemed to be developing into an Exploding Plastic Inevitable for the 21st Century. Upstairs the DJ’s equipment was already buzzing and the wine […]
The NYSRP (The New York Studio Residency Program) located in DUMBO, Brooklyn, hosted their fall 2014 end of semester exhibition on Thursday, December 11th, which highlighted artworks created during the students’ fifteen week residency. AICAD, a consortium of Art and Design Colleges, provides the opportunity for students to study in NYC for one semester. The […]
Last week I was invited by a friend to attend Radiator Gallery’s closing event for their show titled From Within the Flesh of the World, curated by Eileen Jeng. I was immediately struck by the way the the gallery housed these powerful works within the confines of their smaller space. The show featured work by two artists – Adam Frelin and Rena […]
AF: Congratulations on your show Rad Roubeni. Can you please tell Arte Fuse about your background in photography and how you ended up here?
RR: Thanks so much, Jamie, I’m really excited about it! I’ve been really into photography since I was a kid. My dad gave me his Hasselblad when I was 12 […]
The last time I saw the work and reviewed Elise Adibi was in May of 2012 at Churner and Churner in Chelsea then I met her again at the Armory Show in 2013. Time passed and it is rare for me to even follow the careers of a handful of artists but when they […]
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Art night on the LES in Krause Gallery Stephan Zirwes & Marco Guglielmino at Krause Gallery Installation shot of… »
- Public Display: Streetscapes by Rad Roubeni Opening Reception: Sunday, December 21, 2014 4 - 7 p.m Exhibition… »
- Bloody good photos at Site 109 Photography lovers at Site 109 A bird's eye view at Site 109 Close Up Detail on one… »
- Prime Set Who: Justin Stewart, Chandler Craig, Allison Barker and a collective of musicians, visual artists, and… »
- Festina Lente group show at Create and Collectduring Art Basel week 2014 Laura Cartagena and Tatiana Camacho WYNWOOD,… »
- On Friday November 14th, Arte Fuse visited Launch F18 for their final opening at its current location in Tribeca. The… »
- Press release provided by the Gallery Venus Over Manhattan and Sotheby’s S|2 present Cosa Nostra, the first major… »
- Graffiti at Fridge Art Fair Qinza and Zaks Art by Lady Millard Fridge Art Fair was pleased to offer exhibitors and… »
- To experience Eliane Elias in concert is to understand the notion of temporary bliss. With a career spanning forty… »
- The Art Aficionados come out for the ART at Rooster Gallery Artist Arianna Carossa plus Italian hand gesture My first… »