Charles Burchfield, an amazing American artist from the past, once wrote: “An artist must paint not what he sees in nature, but what is there. To do so he must invent symbols, which, if properly used, make his work seem even more real than what is in front of him.” This echoes, to a [...]
Last July 24, 2014, AF came out to join the legions of art denizens lining up the cobble stoned streets and art gallery Mecca of Chelsea for its annual ART WALK. The night delivered on its celebratory frenzy of open galleries, festive spirit and of course, the HOT art on its walls. This is a [...]
Seeing summer group exhibitions in New York is like maintaining a steady exercise routine or going to family reunions – necessary but slightly tedious. Most group shows are battle grounds for the conflicting intentions and emotions of everyone involved; hopes, ambitions, insecurities, strategic maneuvers and counter-maneuvers of artists, curators and gallery owners create tensions [...]
A group of Japanese artists known as teamLab are currently presenting a compilation of digital works for the exhibition Ultra Subjective Space at The Pace Gallery.
Founded in 2001 by Toshiyuki Inoke and several college classmates, teamLab is comprised of individuals striving to find a balance between technology, art, commerce, and creativity. Their talents range from animation to performanceto fashion design to mathematics and even to medical science.
The Curator Gallery, in Chelsea, invites various folks to curate shows on a periodic basis. The gallery was initially underwritten by Ann S. Moore, a retired Chairperson of Time, as her way to contribute to the arts scene in NY. The current show “Verisimilitude” was curated by Ethan Karp, of the now shuttered but immensely [...]
After a night of gallery hopping in Chelsea, we headed downtown to The Lodge Gallery for the opening of The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote. She is a Thailand-born New York artist and this is her first solo show with the Gallery. One of the best things about the Logde Gallery is that [...]
July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space in Dumbo, New York. Guests arrived to find a locked door and six viewing windows.
Constellations is a collection of individual wall ceramics that can be rearranged, referring to masked forms or heads; strangely crude, [...]
We visited the studio of a painter and video artist Tatiana Istomina, who is currently an artist-in-residence at SOHO20 Gallery in Chelsea. If you can, stop by the gallery this Thursday, July 24th, from 6 till 8 pm, for Istomina’s Open Studio and the opening of a group showUnder Construction curated by Sharon Matt Atkins of the Brooklyn [...]
The borderline between East Side and West Side is the Bowery. This stretch used to house the legendary CBGB’s (closed), Amato Opera House (closed), the Bowery Mission still remains and the bevy of restaurant supply stores dot the block. The proliferation of new restaurants, high-rise condominiums, the New Museum and the smattering of art galleries [...]
* AF Editor Note: Deukyun “Sunny” Hwang took pictures for AF in the summer of 2012 till spring 2013. She is also a visual artist in her own right concentrating on film making and finishing her studies to become the next Sofia Coppola or Spielberg. Recently, she went to South Korea and said wanted to share [...]
Sign up for our newsletter!
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
COJO, Castle Fitzjohns Gallery, September 2014
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- Amorphic Form 1 (Wave), Iron Amorphic Form 3 (Claw), Bronze In the art world, to utilize the most expensive and… »
- Limones (after Ouka Leele), 2014 Barça 86, 2014 A project space in East Harlem is currently featuring a show by Wendy… »
- Rockaway! was envisioned by Patti Smith and MoMA PS1’s Director, Klaus Biesenbach, both Rockaway residents. Their… »
- A series of sketches and watercolor paintings by Hank Blaustein are currently on view in Chelsea. The exhibition, Drawn… »
- AF Editor in Chief Oscar Laluyan with Maureen Chung of gallery nine5 The News is that Street Art has invaded the… »
- Ross BonfantiSt. Sebastian, 2013Concrete, nails, toy parts12 x 20 x 12 in Opening Reception: July 16 from 6-9PM Ross… »
- (L-R) Laura Manning, Daniel Weintraub and SEK3 Last Friday night we headed to Succulent Studios for the closing party… »
- Curator David A. Willis Last week a group of thirteen artists alongside curator David Wills took over a storefront… »
- Lots of art denizens taking another look Drawn to the light of ART Thursday Art Night is HOT in Chelsea Welcome to… »
- (L-R) Co-Founder of Cinders Gallery Sto Len with Monique Mantell Our final stop for our Thursday night art walk was Cinders… »