Behind the scenes at the Frieze Art Fair curators race against the clock to buy new and important works for Tate’s collection.
Now in its tenth year, The Outset/Frieze Art Fair Fund has enabled Tate to acquire many significant works by emerging artists for the national collection. This year TateShots was given [...]
This weekend at the café La Chope du Chateau Rouge, I had the chance to sit down with Taylor Holland and ask him some questions about life as an artist in Paris, and more importantly, his new Frames Project. Taylor is originally from Austin, Texas, and left for Paris pursuing his career in [...]
After an extensive nationwide search, Leslie-Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art, the world’s first and only museum focused on LGBT art, announced today the appointment of its first Director since it became an official museum in 2011. Hunter O’Hanian will join the Leslie Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art as its Director in [...]
Close your eyes, imagine the scent and taste of the cool yet damp stagnant summer air while walking the grounds outdoors in the evening. Recall the seemingly invisible yet actual traces of the viscous and ethereal line-work left behind by a small arachnid awaiting your unexpected disturbance. [Untitled] Mulberry [...]
Now in its new digs at The Tunnel in Chelsea at 11th Avenue & 28th Street, the Affordable Art Fair Fall 2012 Edition had a preview party on October 4th. ARTE FUSE got a sneak peek and threw ourselves into the melee of art lovers to see some familiar and new exhibitors at the fair. With over [...]
For No Age Noah Becker and David Goodman present a levy of works, each standing uniquely as oppositions and conceptually co-dependent within the margins of time and human creation. As age naturally applies definition and form to existence, No Age rallies a particularly youthful manor amid a fringe of documentation and repurposing. To quote the band No Age from [...]
Sexuality and death are interlaced seamlessly with the latest works of Pat Andrea for his show “IRREALISM” at Bertrand Delacroix Gallery. With an internationally acclaimed forty-year artistic career, Andrea presented his magical realist and neo-expressionist works with skillful and colorful depictions of men and women in the ever sensual dynamics teetering between life and death.
“I think good art happens on that edge between comfortable and in a lot of pain, you know what I mean?” ~ Liz Phair
“The world can only be grasped by action, not by contemplation. The hand is the cutting edge of the mind.” ~ Diane Arbus
“I think the rock’n’roll myth of living on [...]
Virginia Martinsen’s paintings are the result of pours of gesso, oil paint, linseed oil and traditional painting mediums onto raw canvases and wood panels. By exploiting the intrinsic properties of paint, her work explores the physicality of the mediums used to create a painting; as opposed to mediums that [...]
How does a painting go from the personal archives of an artist to being part of a collection being shown in two different countries? Today’s provenance of an artwork takes on an interesting journey. Let’s look at the work Balance by Jamie Martinez.
Origins: Balance was created by Martinez for a late September 2011 show at Orchard Windows [...]
Sign up for our newsletter!
Push It, Art Now NYC, April 2014
James Austin Murray, Lyons Wier Gallery, April 2014
Shony Rivnay, BOSI Contemporary, March 2014
Find us on YouTube
- "Second Nature" by David Trulli at Foley Gallery Foley is pleased to present the first New York solo exhibition… »
- "The Soft Storm" 18" x 24" Colored pencil on colored paper Deviating from the usual chaos of my work, Pretty-Cute embraces… »
- Transmission by Michael Bevilacqua Word by Michael Bevilacqua Born in California but currently residing and creating… »
- VOLTA NY MARCH 7-10, 2013 VOLTA NY, taking place from Thursday, March 7 through Sunday, March 10, is thrilled to… »
- Fahamu Pecou, artist Everything is cool at Lyons Wier Gallery (L - R) Fahamu Pecou and Michael Lyons Wier (L-R)… »
- Matt Bahen Installation View at Munch Gallery Matt Bahen Installation View at Munch Gallery Matt Bahen: The Weight of… »
- LES Art Walk action at frosch & portmann Magnolia Laurie (artist) at frosch & portmann Perusing the work at… »
- Sexual desire is sexual desire and its force, in an individual's psychology, is independent of the ultimate Darwinian… »
- Close to having had enough. Close to having just enough. Close to not having enough. This exhibition references states of… »
- Steve Ellis, artist Irina Gusin (left), Director of External Affairs for gallery nine5 Home is where the heart is as… »