In the classic fantasy movie The Wizard of Oz, the moment Dorothy opens the door of her tornado blown shack from her black and white world back in Kansas – COLOR abounds then her adventure begins with the yellow brick road! The same exuberance is expressed by Evan Levine with his selected color rich abstract [...]
In 1927 Fritz Lang directed Metropolis, a German expressionist science fiction film that depicted a seemingly high rising city with the undercurrent of dystopia. André Saraiva with his first solo exhibition at The Hole installed a miniature city at night in Gallery 3. Arte Fuse came to the VIP Preview June 6, 2012 to traipse the [...]
These days there are no more secrets. Everyone announces everything that’s on their mind, whether on a Facebook status, a Tweet, or an IM. The very texture of our lives has become the basis for both communication and entertainment, and art is left waiting its turn in line. Any form of organized artifice is immediately [...]
Floating Souls: May 31 – July 21, 2012
On an ethereal ground of white light, Avella-Bagur shows us archetypal representations of male and female bodies that answer our expectations of mass-produced perfection. Avella-Bagur disrupts this ideal with a second layer of portraits painted in visceral flesh-tones that never quite register with the face’s outline. [...]
Everything comes in threes. The Three Musketeers, the Holy Trinity, and even blockbuster movies comes in a trilogy. Last May 31, 2012 that a trio of artists were shown by FEATURE INC. on Allen Street. It was a packed reception but fortunately each artist had strong pieces to keep art aficionados engaged.
Artists in residence take the period provided to just churn our work and it’s a great opportunity to avail resources to show as well. Residency Unlimited (RU) in collaboration with Rooster Gallery, has made it possible for two artists in residence to present their work last May 31, 2012 at an opening reception for Bells [...]
Egon Zippel’s most recent work involves recycling “communication” from re-appropriated stickers, tags and other fragments of urban signature found on New York streets. These artifacts of urban life regroup on canvas into defined yet chaotic linear, circular and random images emanating contemporary culture.
Egon Zippel: Excerpts from an Interview (NYC 2012, by Lin QUIK [...]
JIM JOE’s work is regularly seen on the streets of New York City. Now, at last, a chance to see JIM JOE’s artistic execution in the confines of a leading New York City contemporary art gallery:
For one evening and two days only during irregular gallery hours, New York Art Department proudly presents JIM JOE YES 2012 (or YES 1 [...]
To celebrate Flag Day, Soho Gallery For Digital Art is proud to present The Grand Old Group Show with the highest flying art featuring a diverse scope of styles, perspectives and mediums from an array of international artists from 11 different countries.
Colors will come alive with stellar iphoneography, kinky action figures, traditional watercolors, photography, illustration, modern tapestries and [...]
Brief History with an Ax
June 7 to July 13, 2012
“The clock is ticking and how much we do not have … So why not go faster with the tools that we have, even if they are not very sophisticated. Note that, whatever the tool precisely, it is the power [...]
Sign up for our newsletter!
Find us on YouTube
Leslie-Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art Announces Largest Gift in US History For LGBT ArtGifts in excess of $10 MillionThe newly announced Leslie-Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art has received major gifts in excess of $10 million. This… »
- Every picture tells a story. When does the actual subject becomes the material placed into the picture to add to the story?… »
- Evoking a Modernist vibe and a tad Minimalist, Elise Adibi had her second solo exhibition in New York at CHURNER and… »
- James Kalm dodges into the Leo Koenig Gallery, and captures some video of the opening of Nicole Eisenman:… »
- httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTNqZgG6tfY May 3, 2012 - June 9, 2012Mike Weiss Gallery is pleased to present Treasury, a… »
- For over three decades, contemporary Georgian artist and co-founder of the 10th Floor Group, Oleg Timchenko has never… »
- How do I express thee? The question is not really Shakespeare but artists have always expressed themselves in unique… »
- Last May 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM at Petrosino Square in Soho where this enclave is a respite off the busy streets,… »
- The Romanian Culture Institute in New York proudly presents the second installation of THE WINDOW. This site specific… »
- The American Academy of Arts and Letters is an honor society of 250 architects, composers, artists, and writers. Members… »