You’ve heard of grand gestures and nothing more was the epitome of that word when AF came to the fourth solo show of Thomas Eggerer at Petzel Gallery last October 10th. Gesture and Territory featured 11 new paintings in large scale which reverberated with drama and visual impact.
The seismic shift from his once miniature presentations gave way to […]
Back in May 31, 2012 – my very first visit to now one of my favorite galleries in the gritty bosom of the LES, Rooster, that I met this artist at Jaro 1. “Bells and Whistles” by Guy Goldstein stuck with me for quite a while. I remembered the idea of how sound is intertwined with the […]
We love Drama or rather Diorama – not the soap opera kind that ends in tears but the idea of recreating and viewing a world in miniature that’s contained in a frame. AF came to the first solo exhibition of Conor Backman at Mixed Greens featuring his new take on the titular idea of a Diorama. The plethora of works played […]
At the advice of a gallery owner on our Thursday night art haunts, AF decided to drop in at Sikkema Jenkins & Co. on West 22nd Street in Chelsea. We entered two distinct worlds in one space. At the front were clay-based sculptures by Arlene Shechet for her show Slip while at the back were minimalism based paintings with a great Op […]
Sarah Crown pops-up again! After the tremendous success in the Lower East Side (March 2012) and SoHo (May 2013), sarahcrown appears for the third time revitalizing today an empty storefront in Alphabeth City, New York.
After passing through a crowded and dark bar, we entered a bright and comfortable room filled with young, lively artists and their supporters. There was a tangible buzz about the show in the room–especially around the book, And Every Day Was Overcast, which sold out.
On every wall of the room, enlarged photographs hung unceremoniously, unframed. Images […]
I stopped by Robert Attanasio’s studio in Long Island City to chat about art and to see his new work.
AF: Can you tell me about how you ended up in the art world?
RA: I think my entry into the art world began in elementary school, at around the age of 12. We had […]
Opening extravaganza and fundraiser to benefit Visual AIDS and Pax Miami.
December 5, 2013, 7 pm VIP preview at PAX: Thursday, December 5, 2013, 2 – 7 pm Fridge Open Hours: December 5 – 8, 2013 – 2pm-1am Dog and pet artist Eric Ginsburg and the Fridge Art Fair NYC team — artist/curator Kaitlin Martin and photographer/coordinator Cara Hunter Viera – are delighted to announce their partnership with PAX Miami to […]
Well, another DUMBO Arts Festival here and gone. One of my favorite events during the year seemed to be much more crowded than previous years.
One of my favorite pieces, an art installation by the SAWCC (South Asian Women’s Creative Collective) consisted of labeled numerical pennies placed over colorful cobblestones. Each cobblestone was represented by […]
Castle Fizjohns Gallery announces its grand opening at 98 Orchard Street on the Lower East Side (LES) of Manhattan.
The opening exhibit highlights the works of Max Wiedemann, who’s satirical tongue-in-cheek pop art has been taking the world by storm; the amazing taxidermy based work of Jake Lamagno, who uses among other media a 100 […]
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Klaus Enrique Trayvon Martin Klaus Enrique – The Arcimboldo Series I had been working on a photography series in which… »
- Christine Flynn, Timber, photograph with mixed media and resin finish, 42 x 72 in, 2013 September marks the launch of… »
- Attendees at the W Times Square to kick off Affordable Art Fair Fall 2013 Edition It is so New York to be lit by your cell… »
- The art crowd at Jack Geary Contemporary Soil Swamp Sample (2013) by Vadis Turner Ribbons of color, swaths that define… »
- (L - R) Jamie Martinez, Ximena Ojeda, Artist Dionisio González, Jean Luc Richard, El Kazan and critic Robert C. Morgan at… »
- exterior interior Kevin Arrow and Hugo Montoya With the dead heat of August supposedly slowing things down in… »
- "El Mundo de los Vivos" by Ofill Echevarria at The Gabarron Foundation "El Mundo de los Vivos" by Ofill Echevarria at… »
- Margaret Thatcher Projects Welcomes You The Fair Gallery Girls on Art Night at Margaret Thatcher Projects Artist Nan… »
- The packed house at Jim Kempner Fine Art Artist David Mitchell at Jim Kempner Fine Art Large Scale C-Prints by David… »
- The Gallery is Wide as the River in the art One of the panels from the Halong Series by Dionisio Gonzalez Getting a… »