Everyone is lit up either by substance (alcohol most likely if you go to enough gallery opening receptions), emotion maybe such as love (or lust), and the flattery of words like poetry. AF came to one show that is lit up in all the obvious content and in more subtle contexts. Thrush Holmes had his debut solo [...]
“One ought to hold on to one’s heart, for if one lets it go, one soon loses control of the head too.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
In art, the notion of control is a quaint one. An artist must cultivate technical mastery and control over their work. Chaos is a tricky device but seen as an [...]
Young Russian Jewish artists helped raised funds to support Holocaust survivors in need when they donated works that went on display as part of a Tribeca art auction that was held Last Thursday, January 23.
The event is the first in a collaboration between The Blue Card, a national nonprofit dedicated to aiding Holocaust survivors, [...]
New York is the kind of city where you don’t know where the night will take you but it promises to be a great one. One such artist dared to make the stark and seductive statement of that fact with her latest show that opened last January 24th. Ena Swansea showcased her large scale paintings of untitled nightlife. [...]
FEARFULAWESOME, Ecstasy, death and rebirth of a male painter, SANE, Seline Baumgartner, Nancy Barton & Mike Glass, Bjoerk (One Little Indian-Elektra Records), Ella Joyce Buckley, Shadi Harouni, Andy Hope 1930, Alexa Hoyer, Jürgen Klauke, Austin Lee, Michael Mahalchick, Nadja Verena Marcin, Adam Parker Smith, Thomas Zummer
Three is not a lonely number and it is the perfect trinity as proven when last January 23rd AF walked into Gallery HO for the exhibition New Originals featuring a trio of talented women artists: Fay Ku, Manju Shandler, and Hiba Schahbaz. The show curated by Grace Noh brought together a diverse body of work united by each artist’s special interpretation of women.
New Rochelle, New York━The Mahlstedt Gallery is proud to present Solstice Synergy, a group exhibition featuring paintings and sculptural works by artists working in the greater New York Tri-state area, including Eric Hibit, Osamu Kobayashi, Tang-Wei Hsu, Tom Costa, Tom Smith, and Vince Contarino.
In both modern and ancient cultures, solstices are acknowledged and celebrated [...]
I was first introduced to Jef Campion, aka Army of One, in 2011 while hunting NYC streets for curbside masterpieces to document through photography. My friend and I walked down Freeman Alley and we were surrounded by a sea of beautiful street art – one of which was Jef Campion’s interpretation of Diane Arbus’ photograph [...]
Living your life in a movie can mean you have to wake up and smell the coffee then face reality. Well, how about perking up to the oil paintings of Turkish artist Murat Pulat for his first solo show Image-Animal at Leila Heller Gallery that opened last January 16th. AF marveled at the rich and textured paintings of movie scenes [...]
Any die hard art fan and gallery trooper anticipates a monumental or magical night every Thursday because that is the high holy day of their entire week. That is when they get to pay reverence to the hallowed halls of their gallery of choice and perhaps warm in the glow of the people with the brilliance of [...]
Sign up for our newsletter!
Jason Woodside, Judith Charles Gallery, July 2014
- (L-R) Artist Theo Rosenblum and Jeffrey Deitch Vito Schnabel’s private exhibition space in the West Village was the place… »
- Gathered to see the ART at 303 Gallery Viewing the work of Sue Williams 303 Gallery opened its ninth exhibition of Sue… »
- Thursday Art Night in Chelsea Artist Jeff Landman If you build it, they will come and boy did the art folks showed up… »
- One of the most engaging kinds of art is art that sets up an emotional dialogue with the viewer. If that art also is… »
- The Sellout crowd at the opening spray painting a guest for being on his cell phone Twin Peeks by MikeWolf Most… »
- Artist Allison Schulnik ZieherSmith gallery was buzzing with conversation and life when we walked in between the two live… »
- The packed house at Margaraet Thatcher Projects Heidi Spector, Groove is in the Heart, 2012 Right off the gate, AF… »
- Caroline Wright + Quollective January 14, 2014 - Quollective, a social network for styling and sharing quotes on iOS,… »
- The work of Shaun Ellison Artist Shaun Ellison The show title is enough to draw you in as you imagine the American… »
- Collin #2-4 (2013), Digital C-Print, 20"X20", by Artist Gisella Sorrentino Wix.com brings together two of its talented… »