After a night of gallery hopping in Chelsea, we headed downtown to The Lodge Gallery for the opening of The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote. She is a Thailand-born New York artist and this is her first solo show with the Gallery. One of the best things about the Logde Gallery is that [...]
July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space in Dumbo, New York. Guests arrived to find a locked door and six viewing windows.
Constellations is a collection of individual wall ceramics that can be rearranged, referring to masked forms or heads; strangely crude, [...]
We visited the studio of a painter and video artist Tatiana Istomina, who is currently an artist-in-residence at SOHO20 Gallery in Chelsea. If you can, stop by the gallery this Thursday, July 24th, from 6 till 8 pm, for Istomina’s Open Studio and the opening of a group showUnder Construction curated by Sharon Matt Atkins of the Brooklyn [...]
The borderline between East Side and West Side is the Bowery. This stretch used to house the legendary CBGB’s (closed), Amato Opera House (closed), the Bowery Mission still remains and the bevy of restaurant supply stores dot the block. The proliferation of new restaurants, high-rise condominiums, the New Museum and the smattering of art galleries [...]
* AF Editor Note: Deukyun “Sunny” Hwang took pictures for AF in the summer of 2012 till spring 2013. She is also a visual artist in her own right concentrating on film making and finishing her studies to become the next Sofia Coppola or Spielberg. Recently, she went to South Korea and said wanted to share [...]
In the art world, to utilize the most expensive and sophisticated tools from a local art store does not necessarily produce work with character. This is something achieved by being innovative with what is already available paired with the technical knowledge of the medium. Sculptor Steve Ceraso has mastered multiple types of three dimensional art [...]
A project space in East Harlem is currently featuring a show by Wendy White titled Madrid Me Mata. If you like vintage Spanish soccer, the films of Almodovar, or just good art, you’ll want to check out this show.
For this show, White presents work that pays tribute to the Galeria Moriarty in Madrid, a landmark [...]
Rockaway! was envisioned by Patti Smith and MoMA PS1’s Director, Klaus Biesenbach, both Rockaway residents. Their collaboration was in response to the issues following the devastation that resulted from Superstorm Sandy. The festival is sponsored by the Jamaica [...]
A series of sketches and watercolor paintings by Hank Blaustein are currently on view in Chelsea. The exhibition, Drawn to Life: A Sketchbook Diary, features eloquent and detailed works by Blaustein who has been drawing his observations of the world around him, from the moment he could hold a pencil.
Blaustein’s subjects are people, places, [...]
Since prehistoric times, man has made markings or drawings on cave walls that served as daily records, which resulted into valuable artifact upon its discovery. The caveman was the very first graffiti artist and as history proved – there was graffiti in ancient Rome, “Kilroy was Here” during World War II, and the rampant citywide spray painted graffiti on subway train cars in the late 70’s New York [...]
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Space Between a Group Exhibition Curated by Diana Buckley at Paul Kolker Collection. November 13-16, 2014 Opening Reception Thursday, November 13 from 6-8 PM
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
- Ross BonfantiSt. Sebastian, 2013Concrete, nails, toy parts12 x 20 x 12 in Opening Reception: July 16 from 6-9PM Ross… »
- (L-R) Laura Manning, Daniel Weintraub and SEK3 Last Friday night we headed to Succulent Studios for the closing party… »
- Curator David A. Willis Last week a group of thirteen artists alongside curator David Wills took over a storefront… »
- Lots of art denizens taking another look Drawn to the light of ART Thursday Art Night is HOT in Chelsea Welcome to… »
- (L-R) Co-Founder of Cinders Gallery Sto Len with Monique Mantell Our final stop for our Thursday night art walk was Cinders… »
- Nancy Reed - vocals Listening to Jazz music is often associated with the famous rooms of major cities. This setting… »
- This month, four artists come together to participate in the latest group show New Acquaintances—works by GAMA, Fu… »
- Caspar David Friedrich The artists of the Romantic Movement could see science coming, and it wasn’t pretty. Science… »
- Jack Youngerman, Blackfoil Beverly Pepper, Homage The 188th Annual shows that the National Academy continues as an arts… »
- The largest retrospective ever held of a single artist at the Whitney Museum, it’s not a secret, is the… »