To me the current group show at Bill Hodges Gallery asks such questions as: Historically, how have African American artists had to navigate through an art world dominated by white artists, gallery owners and critics? How have things changed since the time of Norman Lewis and Jacob Lawrence? To what extent do black artists owe […]
If we look at the history of portrait painting, Lynette Yiadom-Boakye’s work, at Jack Shainman’s Gallery on 20th street, is quite subversive of this genre on a few levels, but in subtle and even disarming ways.
First of all, these pieces just don’t seem to fit any of the previous categories in the field of […]
I’d already had my share of overly-saturated experiences on Friday before I got to The Future Is Now at 60 Orchard Street so I didn’t stick around long enough to enjoy the party that seemed to be developing into an Exploding Plastic Inevitable for the 21st Century. Upstairs the DJ’s equipment was already buzzing and the wine […]
The NYSRP (The New York Studio Residency Program) located in DUMBO, Brooklyn, hosted their fall 2014 end of semester exhibition on Thursday, December 11th, which highlighted artworks created during the students’ fifteen week residency. AICAD, a consortium of Art and Design Colleges, provides the opportunity for students to study in NYC for one semester. The […]
Last week I was invited by a friend to attend Radiator Gallery’s closing event for their show titled From Within the Flesh of the World, curated by Eileen Jeng. I was immediately struck by the way the the gallery housed these powerful works within the confines of their smaller space. The show featured work by two artists – Adam Frelin and Rena […]
AF: Congratulations on your show Rad Roubeni. Can you please tell Arte Fuse about your background in photography and how you ended up here?
RR: Thanks so much, Jamie, I’m really excited about it! I’ve been really into photography since I was a kid. My dad gave me his Hasselblad when I was 12 […]
The last time I saw the work and reviewed Elise Adibi was in May of 2012 at Churner and Churner in Chelsea then I met her again at the Armory Show in 2013. Time passed and it is rare for me to even follow the careers of a handful of artists but when they […]
It takes two to make things go right and out of sight. That is what the dual show at Krause Gallery managed to do with aerial photography by Stephan Zirwes and the neon sculptures of Marco Guglielmino which opened last December 11th. AF witnessed amazing bird’s eye view images by Zirwes that made abstract patterns […]
Roubeni’s photographs explore the street art of New York City, where the art has become a living part of the landscape. The artist’s fascination with street art stems from its somewhat contradictory nature—at once permanent and commanding, while also ephemeral and ever changing […]
Photography artists have to be charged with the responsibility of reframing our minds and how we see the world around us. Last December 11th, AF came to a group exhibition touting it as The Photography Show. This featured the innovative images of the following auteurs of the lens: Dietmar Busse, Janine Gordon, Allie Pohl, Sepideh Salehi, Marielis […]
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Prime Set Who: Justin Stewart, Chandler Craig, Allison Barker and a collective of musicians, visual artists, and… »
- Festina Lente group show at Create and Collectduring Art Basel week 2014 Laura Cartagena and Tatiana Camacho WYNWOOD,… »
- On Friday November 14th, Arte Fuse visited Launch F18 for their final opening at its current location in Tribeca. The… »
- Press release provided by the Gallery Venus Over Manhattan and Sotheby’s S|2 present Cosa Nostra, the first major… »
- Graffiti at Fridge Art Fair Qinza and Zaks Art by Lady Millard Fridge Art Fair was pleased to offer exhibitors and… »
- To experience Eliane Elias in concert is to understand the notion of temporary bliss. With a career spanning forty… »
- The Art Aficionados come out for the ART at Rooster Gallery Artist Arianna Carossa plus Italian hand gesture My first… »
- We are pleased to present “The Future Is Now” at 60 Orchard St Gallery in the Lower East Side. This unique… »
- Art Basel in Miami Beach 2014 | Public | Performance: Alix Pearlstein, Work by Sarah Braman, Door, 2013 – 2014… »
- Doug Rickard-Baltimore, MD 21x33 Inkjet Pigment Print, Google Street The Philadelphia Photo Arts Center hosted an exhibit… »