“Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
My biological father, a religious fanatic, claimed to know the truth. A woman’s value could be precisely calculated according to metrics of [...]
Walking among the elaborately decorated and sparkling pieces at the Paul Kasmin Gallery on 27th street, I suddenly heard the voice of sportscasting legend Howard Cosell – “What?! Roberto Duran has quit! Roberto Duran has quit!” Stepping around a partition I saw a replica of a working-class Chicago basement rec room (which made me feel [...]
Paul Glabicki’s hyper-intellectual drawings derive from his experimental films. At Kim Foster Gallery (which just seems to put up one amazing show after another) Glabicki has now created various drawings around the scientific theme of ‘relativity.’ So the basic idea seems to be to provide parallel images, both showing a relationship to each other, [...]
Peter Hort is a contemporary art collector and heir to the Hort Family Collection. He is also a founding member of the Rema Hort Mann Foundation, which awards grants to emerging artists.
AF: Can you tell us the history behind the Hort Family Collection?
PH: My mother, Susan Hort, grew up around [...]
Fridge Art Fair Returns to the Lower East Side May 2014
Fridge Art Fair is pleased to announce that it will once again feature a small group of selected galleries and artists on Manhattan’s Lower East Side during Frieze New York Art Fair Week 2014. The “Ice Cream Edition” will be hosted by, and [...]
Everyone is lit up either by substance (alcohol most likely if you go to enough gallery opening receptions), emotion maybe such as love (or lust), and the flattery of words like poetry. AF came to one show that is lit up in all the obvious content and in more subtle contexts. Thrush Holmes had his debut solo [...]
“One ought to hold on to one’s heart, for if one lets it go, one soon loses control of the head too.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
In art, the notion of control is a quaint one. An artist must cultivate technical mastery and control over their work. Chaos is a tricky device but seen as an [...]
Young Russian Jewish artists helped raised funds to support Holocaust survivors in need when they donated works that went on display as part of a Tribeca art auction that was held Last Thursday, January 23.
The event is the first in a collaboration between The Blue Card, a national nonprofit dedicated to aiding Holocaust survivors, [...]
New York is the kind of city where you don’t know where the night will take you but it promises to be a great one. One such artist dared to make the stark and seductive statement of that fact with her latest show that opened last January 24th. Ena Swansea showcased her large scale paintings of untitled nightlife. [...]
FEARFULAWESOME, Ecstasy, death and rebirth of a male painter, SANE, Seline Baumgartner, Nancy Barton & Mike Glass, Bjoerk (One Little Indian-Elektra Records), Ella Joyce Buckley, Shadi Harouni, Andy Hope 1930, Alexa Hoyer, Jürgen Klauke, Austin Lee, Michael Mahalchick, Nadja Verena Marcin, Adam Parker Smith, Thomas Zummer
Sign up for our newsletter!
Push It, Art Now NYC, April 2014
James Austin Murray, Lyons Wier Gallery, April 2014
Shony Rivnay, BOSI Contemporary, March 2014
Find us on YouTube
- Art opening at Gallery HO Instagram this one for you baby! Three is not a lonely number and it is the perfect trinity… »
- Solstice Synergy Opening Reception Mahlstedt Gallery 2014 Osamu Kobayashi Hazy Block Oil on Canvas 60 x 70 in New… »
- Army of One by Jef Campion I was first introduced to Jef Campion, aka Army of One, in 2011 while hunting NYC streets for… »
- Stars come out via Murat Pulat's work at Leila Heller Artist Murat Pulat Living your life in a movie can mean you have… »
- AF publisher Jamie Martinez with Fran Drescher at Steven Kasher Gallery Knight Landesman of Art Forum Any die hard art… »
- (L-R) Artist Theo Rosenblum and Jeffrey Deitch Vito Schnabel’s private exhibition space in the West Village was the place… »
- Gathered to see the ART at 303 Gallery Viewing the work of Sue Williams 303 Gallery opened its ninth exhibition of Sue… »
- Thursday Art Night in Chelsea Artist Jeff Landman If you build it, they will come and boy did the art folks showed up… »
- One of the most engaging kinds of art is art that sets up an emotional dialogue with the viewer. If that art also is… »
- The Sellout crowd at the opening spray painting a guest for being on his cell phone Twin Peeks by MikeWolf Most… »