Life is but a dream when you have choices. Last March 6th, The Hole poised the question and choice to art lovers ready to sink their teeth into Chicken or Beef? This transcontinental survey of figurative painting pitted European and American artists ounce per ounce on the meatiest content there is.
The show curated by Jesper Elg with superbly tenacious efforts by Kathy Grayson (proprietor of The Hole) who coordinated the American side brought together a museum style of illustrating the remarkable versions of figurative art from both continents. The title of the show is taken from what flight attendants ask passengers on their choice from the in-flight menu. Sorry to vegans and vegetarians but Soy Pups or Tofu doesn’t have the same ring to it.
Dietary issues aside – the show gave everyone a smorgasbord of what one considers figurative painting and the appetite to absorb is on the eye of the beholder. It is certainly dismissive to say European art is more esoteric conceptually while Americans are prone to be irreverent in their renditions. Figurative art for artists is like wearing their hearts on their sleeves where you get the feel and sense of what emerges from the figures whether they are hyper-realistic or implied forms. The genre is as rich and substantial in its thrust to be a perennial favorite of those seeking to always find something worth looking into.
The following delectable charcuterie of artists are included in this exhibition:
Allison Schulnik – Anders Oinonen – Anna Bjerger – Antonio Ballester Moreno – Barnaby Furnas – Bjarne Melgaard – Cecily Brown – Dan Attoe – Devon Troy Strother – Eddie Martinez – Ella Kruglyanskaya – Erik Parker – Geoff McFetridge - HuskMitNavn – Jannis Varelas – Jemima Kirke – Jocelyn Hobbie – John Copeland – John Korner – Jules de Balincourt – Katherine Bernhardt – Keegan McHargue – Lola Schnabel – Margaret Kilgallen – Maya Bloch – Miriam Cahn – Misaki Kawai – Peter Linde Busk – Rosson Crow – Ryan Schneider – Tal R – Taylor McKimens – Todd James – Troels Carlsen
With all these choices of figurative paintings in one gallery, it is a dream indeed. The ephemeral nature of art ebbs and flows of what is of the moment but at the end of the day – there is something to gnaw and relish about a painting where you can see something of yourself. And that – is worth sinking your teeth into.
Chicken or Beef? / On View: March 6 – April 20, 2013
Gallery Hours: Tuesday – Saturday (12 – 7 pm)
The Hole. 312 Bowery (Between Bleecker & Houston.) NYC, NY 10012
art review by: Oscar A. Laluyan
select images from The Hole courtesy of the artists
event photography by: Deukyun Hwang
- Painter Steven Assael Offers Unique Master Workshop
- “Entourage” at Dino Eli Gallery
- The Orchard Windows Gallery Presents, Eddie Rehm’s “Instant Gratification Abstract” . This Solo show will be on display from “January 10th to January 19th” , at 37 Orchard Street , Lower East Side , Manhattan. The Artists Reception will be “Friday , January 14th from 6pm to 10pm “
- Eddie Rehm’s “Belligerence” takes over at Orchard Windows Gallery
- Eddie Rehm at Orchard Windows Gallery Oct 17 – 30
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Danilo Perez Panama 500 The start of Summer brings a bounty of splendor: beachy days and starry nights, barbeques and… »
- Crank a Fish & See the Origins of Consciousness at ISE Cultural Foundation Spiritual fulfilment has often been… »
- Attendees at the MFA Photography Graduate Thesis show at The Sheila C. Johnson Design Center Gallery Commiserating over… »
- Eric Starosielski's studio Eric working on a new price in front of Angkor Wat, Late After Sunset, a back lit… »
- 21st Precinct art show Guests at the opening Over the weekend, the old 21st precinct in NYC hosted an art show with… »
- Art night at COOHAUS in Chelsea Perusing the cool art at COOHAUS Art lovers come out in the summer in Chelsea to cool… »
- Sarah Doherty Heinrichs Opening at New Century Artist Gallery An artful feast in Chelsea on Thursday Art Night Getting… »
- Image: Proposal for White and Indian Dead Monument Transpositions, Washington, D.C., 2005. Medium density fiberboard,… »
- Archeologists have found an area in Turkey which might have inspired the Garden of Eden story. Gobekli Tepe is a region… »
- Sam Trioli, S. (Installation View), courtesy of the artist and Farm Project Space + Gallery In this day and age it seems… »