When you think of the label “Made in China” you immediately picture the scores of products being imported into the United States and the sketchy quality equated with that label. To dispel that connotation, Mike Weiss Gallery is putting on the haute quality glitz and glamour for the third solo show of Chinese artist, Liao Yibai.
AF dropped into the 24nd Street gallery space and took in the hand welded stainless steel sculptures on display throughout. Yibai made a silver stiletto high heel sandal at a group show earlier this year at Jim Kempner for BLING! He was in pretty high-end company with the likes of Warhol and Hirst. But on his own, it is a solid created testament of the shiny veneer as what one perceives in the manufacturing strata as real fakes or ghetto fabulous, which was inspired by China’s fake antique industry. AF glam photographer, Max Noy, took some images worth a million bucks. Enjoy the luxurious pictures that AF captured on the night but come see the real art.
Liao Yibai: MADE IN CHINA / On View: October 18 – November 24, 2012
Gallery Hours: Tuesday – Saturday (10 am – 6 pm)
Mike Weiss Gallery. 520 West 24th Street. New York, NY 10011
text by: Oscar A. Laluyan
event photos by: Max Noy
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Ian Bertram is an artist living and working in New York. He is interested in uncovering the hedonistic and fatalistic… »
- Untitled ELK, 80” x 45” x 30”Elk Taxidermy, Resin,Steel, Gold Plate, 2014 “Babies”, Digital C Print, 16” x… »
- Hito Steyerl »How Not To Be Seen. A Fucking Didactic Educatio-nal .MOV File«, 2013 (still) HD-video (still),16:9, color,… »
- Susan Breen, “Square VII”, 2015Oil on paper,12 x 12 inches; 30.48 x 30.48 cm Susan Breen, “Order of Things II”,… »
- Initially, in Japan, tattoos were reserved to mark and identify criminals. Later, apparently, middle class guys who saw… »
- Shinsui, Ito - After Bath - 1917 One of the reasons why the color red is able to arrest our attention so easily is that it… »
- The Erik Thomsen Gallery specializes in Japanese screens and scrolls. Thomsen, himself, was born to Danish parents in… »
- A guest enjoying the work of Tom Sanford Our favorite painting of this show is by Christian Rex Van Minnen Upon… »
- Painting by Logan Hicks Upon making our way through the Mondrian Hotel in Soho, we first had to wander through a vine… »
- A peek at Thursdday Art Night in Chelsea Up CLose with artist Fernando Mastrangelo The subtle beauty of work by… »