When you think of the label “Made in China” you immediately picture the scores of products being imported into the United States and the sketchy quality equated with that label. To dispel that connotation, Mike Weiss Gallery is putting on the haute quality glitz and glamour for the third solo show of Chinese artist, Liao Yibai.
AF dropped into the 24nd Street gallery space and took in the hand welded stainless steel sculptures on display throughout. Yibai made a silver stiletto high heel sandal at a group show earlier this year at Jim Kempner for BLING! He was in pretty high-end company with the likes of Warhol and Hirst. But on his own, it is a solid created testament of the shiny veneer as what one perceives in the manufacturing strata as real fakes or ghetto fabulous, which was inspired by China’s fake antique industry. AF glam photographer, Max Noy, took some images worth a million bucks. Enjoy the luxurious pictures that AF captured on the night but come see the real art.
Liao Yibai: MADE IN CHINA / On View: October 18 – November 24, 2012
Gallery Hours: Tuesday – Saturday (10 am – 6 pm)
Mike Weiss Gallery. 520 West 24th Street. New York, NY 10011
text by: Oscar A. Laluyan
event photos by: Max Noy
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Space Between a Group Exhibition Curated by Diana Buckley at Paul Kolker Collection. November 13-16, 2014 Opening Reception Thursday, November 13 from 6-8 PM
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
- Henry Cole (drums), Miguel Zenon (alto sax), Luis Perdomo (piano), Hans Glawischnig (bass)Photo credit: Braithwaite &… »
- Birthday, DETAIL, mixed media sculpture, 18” x 36” x 9”, 2004 (solid industrial grade velvet cement, steel… »
- The man in black Johnny Cash Wall to wall attendees at HASTED KRAEUTLER Portraits have come a long way. Painting your… »
- Mulberry Street where art and fashion meet at Something in Mind The photography of Olya Turcihin at SIM Close up of… »
- The work of Tom Martin for his show (Filthy) Lucre O Come All Ye Faithful to Art Night in Chelsea De Buck Gallery… »
- Guess who was really born on December 25th? That’s right, baby Mithras. He was a sun god in the Roman Empire who liked… »
- One of the must-see shows, as this year draws to an end, is a sampling of work by Peter Blume at ACA Galleries. This show… »
- Artist Takashi Murakami with his fans Gagosian Gallery is representing the new paintings and sculptures of the iconic… »
- The eBay private dinner at Scarpetta on Nov 7th photo from Getty Artist Mario Wagner at the #ArtforAll installation in… »
- C24 Gallery knows how to throw an opening! I was enticed to enter after seeing several ornate chaquetillas (the little… »