When you think of the label “Made in China” you immediately picture the scores of products being imported into the United States and the sketchy quality equated with that label. To dispel that connotation, Mike Weiss Gallery is putting on the haute quality glitz and glamour for the third solo show of Chinese artist, Liao Yibai.
AF dropped into the 24nd Street gallery space and took in the hand welded stainless steel sculptures on display throughout. Yibai made a silver stiletto high heel sandal at a group show earlier this year at Jim Kempner for BLING! He was in pretty high-end company with the likes of Warhol and Hirst. But on his own, it is a solid created testament of the shiny veneer as what one perceives in the manufacturing strata as real fakes or ghetto fabulous, which was inspired by China’s fake antique industry. AF glam photographer, Max Noy, took some images worth a million bucks. Enjoy the luxurious pictures that AF captured on the night but come see the real art.
Liao Yibai: MADE IN CHINA / On View: October 18 – November 24, 2012
Gallery Hours: Tuesday – Saturday (10 am – 6 pm)
Mike Weiss Gallery. 520 West 24th Street. New York, NY 10011
text by: Oscar A. Laluyan
event photos by: Max Noy
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Space Between a Group Exhibition Curated by Diana Buckley at Paul Kolker Collection. November 13-16, 2014 Opening Reception Thursday, November 13 from 6-8 PM
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
- Fernando Mendoza Bravo November 2011. “The hour of the Wolf is the hour between night and dawn, when most people… »
- The art set at Driscoll Babcock Judith Lauand at Driscoll Babcock Everything old is new again. The cyclical nature of… »
- Art night in Chelsea at Yancey Richardson Thursday Art Night in Chelsea at Yancey Richardson Artist Bryan Graf … »
- 16.0, Brent Birnbaum, Paint On Treadmill, 57 x 56 x 124 in New York, New York, October 22, 2014—Diana Buckley, guest… »
- Erik Jones working on a huge 5 ft x 12 ft painting A work by Hueman A work by Alex Yanes Hueman with one of her… »
- Between the art of Thomas Scheibitz Opening for Thomas Scheibitz at Tanya Bonakdar Cheers to art on Thursday in… »
- On October 29th Mark Schubin will give a free presentation, as part of National Opera Week, at Neil Scherer’s Going… »
- Some words from Linda Yablonsky. During her life this person has written only one novel but she’s among the most… »
- As Director Richard P. Townsend explained during the press preview, MOBIA is following up its Back to Eden show (reviewed… »
- Egg-before conception Breaking the mold of the sort of artworks shown at Dacia gallery, Ted Barr's "Cycle of Life" show… »