When you think of the label “Made in China” you immediately picture the scores of products being imported into the United States and the sketchy quality equated with that label. To dispel that connotation, Mike Weiss Gallery is putting on the haute quality glitz and glamour for the third solo show of Chinese artist, Liao Yibai.
AF dropped into the 24nd Street gallery space and took in the hand welded stainless steel sculptures on display throughout. Yibai made a silver stiletto high heel sandal at a group show earlier this year at Jim Kempner for BLING! He was in pretty high-end company with the likes of Warhol and Hirst. But on his own, it is a solid created testament of the shiny veneer as what one perceives in the manufacturing strata as real fakes or ghetto fabulous, which was inspired by China’s fake antique industry. AF glam photographer, Max Noy, took some images worth a million bucks. Enjoy the luxurious pictures that AF captured on the night but come see the real art.
Liao Yibai: MADE IN CHINA / On View: October 18 – November 24, 2012
Gallery Hours: Tuesday – Saturday (10 am – 6 pm)
Mike Weiss Gallery. 520 West 24th Street. New York, NY 10011
text by: Oscar A. Laluyan
event photos by: Max Noy
Sign up for our newsletter!
Ryan Piers Williams: Monsters and Landscapes
2015 OPEN CALL AT COOHAUS ART MORA GALLERY
- Portrait painting owes its most meaningful possible impact to our ability to discern character traits and emotional… »
- Ho-ho-ho for Art at Postmasters Gallery Postmasters Gallery presents Ryder Ripps Artist Ryder Ripps Art is lively… »
- Thursday Art Night at Dillon Gallery The eyes have it in the work of Santiago Ydanez Artist Santiago Ydanez The… »
- The art crowd at Winston Wachter Gallery The image transformed in the work of Margeaux Walter Artist Margeaux… »
- Maria Constanza Cerullo Chief Curator at MACBA MUseum I AF: MACBA - Museum of Contemporary Art in Buenos Aires opened… »
- Guests enjoying the project 365 DEGREES OF INSTANT FILM at the opening of MONSTERS AND LANDSCAPES exhibition by Ryan Piers… »
- Open Call 2015 at Coohaus Art Mora Stop by the gallery to vote for your favorite piece A guest enjoying the work of… »
- Sculpture by Aaron Spangler Ellen Lesperance TAKE BACK VERMONT! struck me as a timely, relevant and even important type… »
- Sumi ink is made of a type of compressed soot derived from burning plant seed oils, which is then mixed with bone glue.… »
- Exterior of frosch & portmann on the LES frosch & portmann opening reception for Brad Nelson Back in January… »