When you think of the label “Made in China” you immediately picture the scores of products being imported into the United States and the sketchy quality equated with that label. To dispel that connotation, Mike Weiss Gallery is putting on the haute quality glitz and glamour for the third solo show of Chinese artist, Liao Yibai.
AF dropped into the 24nd Street gallery space and took in the hand welded stainless steel sculptures on display throughout. Yibai made a silver stiletto high heel sandal at a group show earlier this year at Jim Kempner for BLING! He was in pretty high-end company with the likes of Warhol and Hirst. But on his own, it is a solid created testament of the shiny veneer as what one perceives in the manufacturing strata as real fakes or ghetto fabulous, which was inspired by China’s fake antique industry. AF glam photographer, Max Noy, took some images worth a million bucks. Enjoy the luxurious pictures that AF captured on the night but come see the real art.
Liao Yibai: MADE IN CHINA / On View: October 18 – November 24, 2012
Gallery Hours: Tuesday – Saturday (10 am – 6 pm)
Mike Weiss Gallery. 520 West 24th Street. New York, NY 10011
text by: Oscar A. Laluyan
event photos by: Max Noy
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Madness of Art — Season 1, Episode 1: Tony
- The origin of the current show at Mayson Pop-Up Space, at 98 Orchard Street (the basement space at Castle Fitzjohns),… »
- Imagine listening to the first phone conversation Maayan Strauss might have had with the Kohler Company to ask for the… »
- Dogon, Granary Doors, Mali, wood with iron staples, 21” x 16” Kadir Nelson, Barber Shop, oil on canvas, 2014, 50"x… »
- The interior of Marc Straus Gallery with works by John Newsom John Newsom makes ART that can pounce and… »
- Opening night at Arlene's Grocery (L-R) Art by Danielle Mastrion, Whisbe and Michael Serafino Artist Cojo next to his… »
- In November 2013 Scooter LaForge and Johnny Rozsa set out on a cross-country car ride with Rozsa’s three dogs and a first… »
- Elise P. Church, T-Cells, paper, photographs, ink, graphite21 x 14 in., 2014, image courtesy of Molly Krom Gallery Elise… »
- You may have seen some of Bruce Davenport Jr.’s work at the recent Outsider Art Fair in New York City. For this current show… »
- Katya Grokhovsky, Disturbance, 2015, mixed media, found objects, photo: Peter Gynd Katya Grokhovsky, Lips, 2014, mixed… »