At first glance intrigue is aroused by the dark drawing installation on view at Orchard Windows gallery in Kyle Nouses’s second solo show as a represented artist. The exhibition entitled “Close to Enough” has a magnetism that entices the viewer past the drawings to the rear space where large mixed media paintings loom ominously in bold colors. The works erupt off the walls in a highly irregular but successful format that that creates a whirlwind of passion, desire, and fury.
The untraditional shapes of the pieces generate curiosity in their construction, as well as content. Each painting is a construct of paper and canvas assembled together then mounted on to boards cut to shape. The result is that each painting has no straight edge in any sense of the word. The rejection of the canvas square lends an explosive quality to his rich pattern, and loud color palette.
John Imad Nasr created an original musical score to each piece that are on ipods next to the works. Nasr worked with Nouse as the work was composed tailoring it to the visual character of each painting. Its haunting as well as frantic beats set a mood for exploration of their detailed surfaces.
Nouse’s second solo exhibition shows the power of the unconventional emerging artist gallery that is willing to take risks. “Close to Enough” emits a sense of originality that thinks outside the canvas box and creates a raucous exhibition of paintings that is seldom seen.
article by Gonzalo Andrew Penaranda
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Art Installation by Brian Reed I met Brian Reed in 2012 at an opening of Chair and the Maiden (CATM) Chelsea at their… »
- Danilo Perez Panama 500 The start of Summer brings a bounty of splendor: beachy days and starry nights, barbeques and… »
- Crank a Fish & See the Origins of Consciousness at ISE Cultural Foundation Spiritual fulfilment has often been… »
- Attendees at the MFA Photography Graduate Thesis show at The Sheila C. Johnson Design Center Gallery Commiserating over… »
- Eric Starosielski's studio Eric working on a new price in front of Angkor Wat, Late After Sunset, a back lit… »
- 21st Precinct art show Guests at the opening Over the weekend, the old 21st precinct in NYC hosted an art show with… »
- Art night at COOHAUS in Chelsea Perusing the cool art at COOHAUS Art lovers come out in the summer in Chelsea to cool… »
- Sarah Doherty Heinrichs Opening at New Century Artist Gallery An artful feast in Chelsea on Thursday Art Night Getting… »
- Image: Proposal for White and Indian Dead Monument Transpositions, Washington, D.C., 2005. Medium density fiberboard,… »
- Archeologists have found an area in Turkey which might have inspired the Garden of Eden story. Gobekli Tepe is a region… »