At first glance intrigue is aroused by the dark drawing installation on view at Orchard Windows gallery in Kyle Nouses’s second solo show as a represented artist. The exhibition entitled “Close to Enough” has a magnetism that entices the viewer past the drawings to the rear space where large mixed media paintings loom ominously in bold colors. The works erupt off the walls in a highly irregular but successful format that that creates a whirlwind of passion, desire, and fury.
The untraditional shapes of the pieces generate curiosity in their construction, as well as content. Each painting is a construct of paper and canvas assembled together then mounted on to boards cut to shape. The result is that each painting has no straight edge in any sense of the word. The rejection of the canvas square lends an explosive quality to his rich pattern, and loud color palette.
John Imad Nasr created an original musical score to each piece that are on ipods next to the works. Nasr worked with Nouse as the work was composed tailoring it to the visual character of each painting. Its haunting as well as frantic beats set a mood for exploration of their detailed surfaces.
Nouse’s second solo exhibition shows the power of the unconventional emerging artist gallery that is willing to take risks. “Close to Enough” emits a sense of originality that thinks outside the canvas box and creates a raucous exhibition of paintings that is seldom seen.
article by Gonzalo Andrew Penaranda
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Space Between a Group Exhibition Curated by Diana Buckley at Paul Kolker Collection. November 13-16, 2014 Opening Reception Thursday, November 13 from 6-8 PM
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
- Henry Cole (drums), Miguel Zenon (alto sax), Luis Perdomo (piano), Hans Glawischnig (bass)Photo credit: Braithwaite &… »
- Birthday, DETAIL, mixed media sculpture, 18” x 36” x 9”, 2004 (solid industrial grade velvet cement, steel… »
- The man in black Johnny Cash Wall to wall attendees at HASTED KRAEUTLER Portraits have come a long way. Painting your… »
- Mulberry Street where art and fashion meet at Something in Mind The photography of Olya Turcihin at SIM Close up of… »
- The work of Tom Martin for his show (Filthy) Lucre O Come All Ye Faithful to Art Night in Chelsea De Buck Gallery… »
- Guess who was really born on December 25th? That’s right, baby Mithras. He was a sun god in the Roman Empire who liked… »
- One of the must-see shows, as this year draws to an end, is a sampling of work by Peter Blume at ACA Galleries. This show… »
- Artist Takashi Murakami with his fans Gagosian Gallery is representing the new paintings and sculptures of the iconic… »
- The eBay private dinner at Scarpetta on Nov 7th photo from Getty Artist Mario Wagner at the #ArtforAll installation in… »
- C24 Gallery knows how to throw an opening! I was enticed to enter after seeing several ornate chaquetillas (the little… »