At first glance intrigue is aroused by the dark drawing installation on view at Orchard Windows gallery in Kyle Nouses’s second solo show as a represented artist. The exhibition entitled “Close to Enough” has a magnetism that entices the viewer past the drawings to the rear space where large mixed media paintings loom ominously in bold colors. The works erupt off the walls in a highly irregular but successful format that that creates a whirlwind of passion, desire, and fury.
The untraditional shapes of the pieces generate curiosity in their construction, as well as content. Each painting is a construct of paper and canvas assembled together then mounted on to boards cut to shape. The result is that each painting has no straight edge in any sense of the word. The rejection of the canvas square lends an explosive quality to his rich pattern, and loud color palette.
John Imad Nasr created an original musical score to each piece that are on ipods next to the works. Nasr worked with Nouse as the work was composed tailoring it to the visual character of each painting. Its haunting as well as frantic beats set a mood for exploration of their detailed surfaces.
Nouse’s second solo exhibition shows the power of the unconventional emerging artist gallery that is willing to take risks. “Close to Enough” emits a sense of originality that thinks outside the canvas box and creates a raucous exhibition of paintings that is seldom seen.
article by Gonzalo Andrew Penaranda
Sign up for our newsletter!
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
COJO, Castle Fitzjohns Gallery, September 2014
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- Moyra Davey, Diaries III, 2014, Digital C-print, tape, postage, ink, 12 x 18 inches Moyra Davey Burn the Diaries ICA… »
- In 1984 E.O. Wilson wrote the book Biophilia, which theorized that there was an inherent attraction that humans felt toward… »
- Studying details in the art of Antonio Petracca Close Up detail on the work of Antonio Petracca for Mezzogiorno Artist… »
- Thursday Art Night at FLOWERS Gallery Close Up Detail on work by Renny Tait It is the Major Duomo of ART Fun is on… »
- Sara MacCulloch Opening at Kathryn Markel Fine Arts Thursday Art Night at 529 West 20th Street Building at Kathryn Markel… »
- Birgit Brenner, Sleep, 2014,Wood, paint, paper, 47.2 x 24 inchesimage courtesy of Marc Straus gallery Birgit Brenner,… »
- Over the canyon, behind the pain. That's where we'll find out way home by Jay Riggio hand cut collage on vellum paper 11 x 14… »
- In Halley Zien’s current work at BravinLee programs, she uses a combination of collage and painting to create small… »
- Rima Fujita, Avidya, 68x58 inches; mixed media on canvas Michela Martello, me on, work in progress for the installation,… »
- Karen Fitzgerald, The Shy Moon, 2013 Karen Fitzgerald, Idir Eathara, 2012 The NYOC Gallery is pleased to present… »