At first glance intrigue is aroused by the dark drawing installation on view at Orchard Windows gallery in Kyle Nouses’s second solo show as a represented artist. The exhibition entitled “Close to Enough” has a magnetism that entices the viewer past the drawings to the rear space where large mixed media paintings loom ominously in bold colors. The works erupt off the walls in a highly irregular but successful format that that creates a whirlwind of passion, desire, and fury.
The untraditional shapes of the pieces generate curiosity in their construction, as well as content. Each painting is a construct of paper and canvas assembled together then mounted on to boards cut to shape. The result is that each painting has no straight edge in any sense of the word. The rejection of the canvas square lends an explosive quality to his rich pattern, and loud color palette.
John Imad Nasr created an original musical score to each piece that are on ipods next to the works. Nasr worked with Nouse as the work was composed tailoring it to the visual character of each painting. Its haunting as well as frantic beats set a mood for exploration of their detailed surfaces.
Nouse’s second solo exhibition shows the power of the unconventional emerging artist gallery that is willing to take risks. “Close to Enough” emits a sense of originality that thinks outside the canvas box and creates a raucous exhibition of paintings that is seldom seen.
article by Gonzalo Andrew Penaranda
Sign up for our newsletter!
“Sir! Sir! ….Sorry.” By Ivaylo Gueorgiev at Launch F-18
- Art night in the LES can be a golden opportunity Artist Elise Adibi The last time I saw the work and reviewed Elise… »
- Art night on the LES in Krause Gallery Stephan Zirwes & Marco Guglielmino at Krause Gallery Installation shot of… »
- Public Display: Streetscapes by Rad Roubeni Opening Reception: Sunday, December 21, 2014 4 - 7 p.m Exhibition… »
- Bloody good photos at Site 109 Photography lovers at Site 109 A bird's eye view at Site 109 Close Up Detail on one… »
- Prime Set Who: Justin Stewart, Chandler Craig, Allison Barker and a collective of musicians, visual artists, and… »
- Festina Lente group show at Create and Collectduring Art Basel week 2014 Laura Cartagena and Tatiana Camacho WYNWOOD,… »
- On Friday November 14th, Arte Fuse visited Launch F18 for their final opening at its current location in Tribeca. The… »
- Press release provided by the Gallery Venus Over Manhattan and Sotheby’s S|2 present Cosa Nostra, the first major… »
- Graffiti at Fridge Art Fair Qinza and Zaks Art by Lady Millard Fridge Art Fair was pleased to offer exhibitors and… »
- To experience Eliane Elias in concert is to understand the notion of temporary bliss. With a career spanning forty… »