The New Romantic
October 20th – November 3rd
New York based photographer Martyn Thompson is a respected and prolific image-maker. His photographic career was set in motion some twenty-five years ago when he began shooting the avant-garde garments he was designing at the time. As it turned out, Thompson’s images attracted more attention than the clothes themselves, launching a career that continues to make a profound visual impact today.
Thompson was seduced at an early age first by glam rock and later the dynamic youth movements exploding in the early eighties. He was particularly captivated by the aesthetic of Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren’s subversive early collections and the music of artists such as Siouxsie and the Banshees.
In a Martyn Thompson image the human and the environment are always connected-the ordinary can become something enigmatic. His mastery of natural light is a skill that has made him highly sought after for still life and product photography. He is one of the founders of “the Tree” – a multi disciplinary art collective in New York City. Thompson has contributed editorial to some of the world’s most respected global magazines including, Architectural Digest, W, The New York Times Magazine, and British Vogue.
Martyn invited several like-minded artists to take part in this two-week exhibition that he is curating. The works are tactile, emotional, and ephemeral: often reflecting an artisanal aesthetic born out of Martyn’s love of craft.
To find out more about Martyn Thompson, visit his site at:
For more information about the show at Strange Loop, contact Claire Fleury :
347 963 3881 claire@martynthompsonstudio.
Sign up for our newsletter!
Jason Woodside, Judith Charles Gallery, July 2014
- Performance Art at Mixed Greens Gallery A Botero Piece at Sundaram Tagore Gallery for Chelsea Art Walk 2014 Last July… »
- Seeing summer group exhibitions in New York is like maintaining a steady exercise routine or going to family reunions -… »
- Ever Blossoming Life (Gold) A group of Japanese artists known as teamLab are currently presenting a compilation of… »
- Gina Minichino, Kiss, 2011 The Curator Gallery, in Chelsea, invites various folks to curate shows on a periodic basis. The… »
- Opening night for The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote at the Lodge Gallery Art by Sirikul Pattachote at The… »
- July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space… »
- Small works on paper from Alissa Blumenthal series Work-in-progress: Istomina's new video based on the footage from… »
- Color Us Happy to be out on ART NIGHT Artist George Horner The borderline between East Side and West Side is… »
- Color Rules in the Art Shows of South Korea Mixing Art with the art crowd in South Korea * AF Editor Note: Deukyun… »
- Amorphic Form 1 (Wave), Iron Amorphic Form 3 (Claw), Bronze In the art world, to utilize the most expensive and… »