The New Romantic
October 20th – November 3rd
New York based photographer Martyn Thompson is a respected and prolific image-maker. His photographic career was set in motion some twenty-five years ago when he began shooting the avant-garde garments he was designing at the time. As it turned out, Thompson’s images attracted more attention than the clothes themselves, launching a career that continues to make a profound visual impact today.
Thompson was seduced at an early age first by glam rock and later the dynamic youth movements exploding in the early eighties. He was particularly captivated by the aesthetic of Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren’s subversive early collections and the music of artists such as Siouxsie and the Banshees.
In a Martyn Thompson image the human and the environment are always connected-the ordinary can become something enigmatic. His mastery of natural light is a skill that has made him highly sought after for still life and product photography. He is one of the founders of “the Tree” – a multi disciplinary art collective in New York City. Thompson has contributed editorial to some of the world’s most respected global magazines including, Architectural Digest, W, The New York Times Magazine, and British Vogue.
Martyn invited several like-minded artists to take part in this two-week exhibition that he is curating. The works are tactile, emotional, and ephemeral: often reflecting an artisanal aesthetic born out of Martyn’s love of craft.
To find out more about Martyn Thompson, visit his site at:
For more information about the show at Strange Loop, contact Claire Fleury :
347 963 3881 claire@martynthompsonstudio.
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Art Installation by Brian Reed I met Brian Reed in 2012 at an opening of Chair and the Maiden (CATM) Chelsea at their… »
- Danilo Perez Panama 500 The start of Summer brings a bounty of splendor: beachy days and starry nights, barbeques and… »
- Crank a Fish & See the Origins of Consciousness at ISE Cultural Foundation Spiritual fulfilment has often been… »
- Attendees at the MFA Photography Graduate Thesis show at The Sheila C. Johnson Design Center Gallery Commiserating over… »
- Eric Starosielski's studio Eric working on a new price in front of Angkor Wat, Late After Sunset, a back lit… »
- 21st Precinct art show Guests at the opening Over the weekend, the old 21st precinct in NYC hosted an art show with… »
- Art night at COOHAUS in Chelsea Perusing the cool art at COOHAUS Art lovers come out in the summer in Chelsea to cool… »
- Sarah Doherty Heinrichs Opening at New Century Artist Gallery An artful feast in Chelsea on Thursday Art Night Getting… »
- Image: Proposal for White and Indian Dead Monument Transpositions, Washington, D.C., 2005. Medium density fiberboard,… »
- Archeologists have found an area in Turkey which might have inspired the Garden of Eden story. Gobekli Tepe is a region… »