The New Romantic
October 20th – November 3rd
New York based photographer Martyn Thompson is a respected and prolific image-maker. His photographic career was set in motion some twenty-five years ago when he began shooting the avant-garde garments he was designing at the time. As it turned out, Thompson’s images attracted more attention than the clothes themselves, launching a career that continues to make a profound visual impact today.
Thompson was seduced at an early age first by glam rock and later the dynamic youth movements exploding in the early eighties. He was particularly captivated by the aesthetic of Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren’s subversive early collections and the music of artists such as Siouxsie and the Banshees.
In a Martyn Thompson image the human and the environment are always connected-the ordinary can become something enigmatic. His mastery of natural light is a skill that has made him highly sought after for still life and product photography. He is one of the founders of “the Tree” – a multi disciplinary art collective in New York City. Thompson has contributed editorial to some of the world’s most respected global magazines including, Architectural Digest, W, The New York Times Magazine, and British Vogue.
Martyn invited several like-minded artists to take part in this two-week exhibition that he is curating. The works are tactile, emotional, and ephemeral: often reflecting an artisanal aesthetic born out of Martyn’s love of craft.
To find out more about Martyn Thompson, visit his site at:
For more information about the show at Strange Loop, contact Claire Fleury :
347 963 3881 claire@martynthompsonstudio.
Sign up for our newsletter!
Oscar Murillo At David Zwirner Gallery
- Lots of art denizens taking another look Drawn to the light of ART Thursday Art Night is HOT in Chelsea Welcome to… »
- A mural painting by Shie Moreno PORTRAIT of artist Shie Moreno Unexpectedly stepping foot into this happening haven—I… »
- (L-R) Co-Founder of Cinders Gallery Sto Len with Monique Mantell Our final stop for our Thursday night art walk was Cinders… »
- Nancy Reed - vocals Listening to Jazz music is often associated with the famous rooms of major cities. This setting… »
- This month, four artists come together to participate in the latest group show New Acquaintances—works by GAMA, Fu… »
- Caspar David Friedrich The artists of the Romantic Movement could see science coming, and it wasn’t pretty. Science… »
- Jack Youngerman, Blackfoil Beverly Pepper, Homage The 188th Annual shows that the National Academy continues as an arts… »
- The largest retrospective ever held of a single artist at the Whitney Museum, it’s not a secret, is the… »
- Jerry Kearns, Heaven’s Gate, 2014, Pigment print and acrylic on canvas, 36 x 48 inches Jerry Kearns,BAM BAM,… »
- Artist Profile: Adam Kiger Artist Profile: Adam Kiger Columbus native, Adam Kiger, comes from a long line of acrylic… »