The book “Freedom Through Football” features the first ever confirmed photos of the extremely elusive Banksy painting one of his murals during a visit to Mexico in 2001, according to The Daily Mail.
At the time the photos were taken he was still an amateur footballer rather than an infamous “guerrilla” artist.
In 2001, Banksy had gone on a football tour with the Easton Cowboys and Cowgirls during which time he painted this mural while on a break between games. The mural shows the Zapatista Army of National Liberation fight for independence against the Mexican government.
“He went on tour with us to Mexico in 2001 and painted a number of murals in the community,” Will Simpson, Cowboys footballer who knew Banksy before he was the famous graffiti artist told the BBC.
“He did one tour and shortly after, he might have moved to London. We see him every so often when he comes back to Bristol.”
After starting off painting murals in Bristol, London, and Brighton, Banksy became famous for his graffiti murals and even painted some in the West Bank, the border between Israel and Palestine. Today, some of Banksy’s murals sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Banksy is also known for pulling stunts, such as breaking into museums and replacing famous art pieces with his own work or placing an inflatable doll dressed like a Guantanamo Bay prisoner in Disneyland.
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Amorphic Form 1 (Wave), Iron Amorphic Form 3 (Claw), Bronze In the art world, to utilize the most expensive and… »
- Limones (after Ouka Leele), 2014 Barça 86, 2014 A project space in East Harlem is currently featuring a show by Wendy… »
- Rockaway! was envisioned by Patti Smith and MoMA PS1’s Director, Klaus Biesenbach, both Rockaway residents. Their… »
- A series of sketches and watercolor paintings by Hank Blaustein are currently on view in Chelsea. The exhibition, Drawn… »
- AF Editor in Chief Oscar Laluyan with Maureen Chung of gallery nine5 The News is that Street Art has invaded the… »
- Ross BonfantiSt. Sebastian, 2013Concrete, nails, toy parts12 x 20 x 12 in Opening Reception: July 16 from 6-9PM Ross… »
- (L-R) Laura Manning, Daniel Weintraub and SEK3 Last Friday night we headed to Succulent Studios for the closing party… »
- Curator David A. Willis Last week a group of thirteen artists alongside curator David Wills took over a storefront… »
- Lots of art denizens taking another look Drawn to the light of ART Thursday Art Night is HOT in Chelsea Welcome to… »
- A mural painting by Shie Moreno PORTRAIT of artist Shie Moreno Unexpectedly stepping foot into this happening haven—I… »