The book “Freedom Through Football” features the first ever confirmed photos of the extremely elusive Banksy painting one of his murals during a visit to Mexico in 2001, according to The Daily Mail.
At the time the photos were taken he was still an amateur footballer rather than an infamous “guerrilla” artist.
In 2001, Banksy had gone on a football tour with the Easton Cowboys and Cowgirls during which time he painted this mural while on a break between games. The mural shows the Zapatista Army of National Liberation fight for independence against the Mexican government.
“He went on tour with us to Mexico in 2001 and painted a number of murals in the community,” Will Simpson, Cowboys footballer who knew Banksy before he was the famous graffiti artist told the BBC.
“He did one tour and shortly after, he might have moved to London. We see him every so often when he comes back to Bristol.”
After starting off painting murals in Bristol, London, and Brighton, Banksy became famous for his graffiti murals and even painted some in the West Bank, the border between Israel and Palestine. Today, some of Banksy’s murals sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Banksy is also known for pulling stunts, such as breaking into museums and replacing famous art pieces with his own work or placing an inflatable doll dressed like a Guantanamo Bay prisoner in Disneyland.
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Space Between a Group Exhibition Curated by Diana Buckley at Paul Kolker Collection. November 13-16, 2014 Opening Reception Thursday, November 13 from 6-8 PM
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
- Henry Cole (drums), Miguel Zenon (alto sax), Luis Perdomo (piano), Hans Glawischnig (bass)Photo credit: Braithwaite &… »
- Birthday, DETAIL, mixed media sculpture, 18” x 36” x 9”, 2004 (solid industrial grade velvet cement, steel… »
- The man in black Johnny Cash Wall to wall attendees at HASTED KRAEUTLER Portraits have come a long way. Painting your… »
- Mulberry Street where art and fashion meet at Something in Mind The photography of Olya Turcihin at SIM Close up of… »
- The work of Tom Martin for his show (Filthy) Lucre O Come All Ye Faithful to Art Night in Chelsea De Buck Gallery… »
- Guess who was really born on December 25th? That’s right, baby Mithras. He was a sun god in the Roman Empire who liked… »
- One of the must-see shows, as this year draws to an end, is a sampling of work by Peter Blume at ACA Galleries. This show… »
- Artist Takashi Murakami with his fans Gagosian Gallery is representing the new paintings and sculptures of the iconic… »
- The eBay private dinner at Scarpetta on Nov 7th photo from Getty Artist Mario Wagner at the #ArtforAll installation in… »
- C24 Gallery knows how to throw an opening! I was enticed to enter after seeing several ornate chaquetillas (the little… »