The book “Freedom Through Football” features the first ever confirmed photos of the extremely elusive Banksy painting one of his murals during a visit to Mexico in 2001, according to The Daily Mail.
At the time the photos were taken he was still an amateur footballer rather than an infamous “guerrilla” artist.
In 2001, Banksy had gone on a football tour with the Easton Cowboys and Cowgirls during which time he painted this mural while on a break between games. The mural shows the Zapatista Army of National Liberation fight for independence against the Mexican government.
“He went on tour with us to Mexico in 2001 and painted a number of murals in the community,” Will Simpson, Cowboys footballer who knew Banksy before he was the famous graffiti artist told the BBC.
“He did one tour and shortly after, he might have moved to London. We see him every so often when he comes back to Bristol.”
After starting off painting murals in Bristol, London, and Brighton, Banksy became famous for his graffiti murals and even painted some in the West Bank, the border between Israel and Palestine. Today, some of Banksy’s murals sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Banksy is also known for pulling stunts, such as breaking into museums and replacing famous art pieces with his own work or placing an inflatable doll dressed like a Guantanamo Bay prisoner in Disneyland.
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Madness of Art — Season 1, Episode 1: Tony
- Art Lovers at Kim Foster Gallery Artist Kathleen Mulcahy Art by Ron Desmett Thursday Art Night at Kim Foster… »
- Perusing the art at Metro Pictures Check Mate on Art Night in Chelsea The art crowd at Metro Pictures in Chelsea … »
- The origin of the current show at Mayson Pop-Up Space, at 98 Orchard Street (the basement space at Castle Fitzjohns),… »
- Imagine listening to the first phone conversation Maayan Strauss might have had with the Kohler Company to ask for the… »
- Dogon, Granary Doors, Mali, wood with iron staples, 21” x 16” Kadir Nelson, Barber Shop, oil on canvas, 2014, 50"x… »
- The interior of Marc Straus Gallery with works by John Newsom John Newsom makes ART that can pounce and… »
- Opening night at Arlene's Grocery (L-R) Art by Danielle Mastrion, Whisbe and Michael Serafino Artist Cojo next to his… »
- In November 2013 Scooter LaForge and Johnny Rozsa set out on a cross-country car ride with Rozsa’s three dogs and a first… »
- Elise P. Church, T-Cells, paper, photographs, ink, graphite21 x 14 in., 2014, image courtesy of Molly Krom Gallery Elise… »