Julia Wilkins presents a dance performance in a landscape of water, fabric, and light
The culmination of three years of development and many years of searching for her distinct voice, dancer and choreographer Julia Wilkins presents “here there nowhere” at the Salomon Arts Gallery, September 13-15, with live music, and an original score by Qasim Naqvi. Investigating the elements of mortality – birth, life, death, body, mind, spirit – the work is driven by imagery, in a landscape of water, fabric, and light.
After years of classical training, Wilkins began to discover her own voice as a performer and choreographer, with live music and improvisation as a catalyst. Her choreography is greatly influenced by years of professional dance experience with Martha Clarke, who taught her how to dance without dancing, and Donald Byrd with whom she learned to develop character in dance. In “here there nowhere,” Wilkins brings her experience to a solo dance performance which transports the audience to a unique world, lost in time, where they will connect with the essence of core human experience.
A theatrical statement elaborately composed of yards of scrim, a 20 foot pathway of water, and painterly light, “here there nowhere” is a triptych in which a character journeys from spirit contending with mortality, to mind experiencing life, and finally, to body at conception. Moving from death to birth, shedding limitation, anxiety, and inhibition, she attains full-expression.
Wilkins’ creative team includes composer Qasim Naqvi, who will be performing his original score with vocalist Areni Agbabian; set designer Victoria Valencia; costume designer Maria Garcia; designer and director Jacques Perdigues; lighting designers Jeff Sugg, Joe Cantalupo, and Rico Rosetti.
Performance Dates: September 13 -15, 8:00 pm
Preceded by: 7:30 pm wine reception
The Salomon Arts Gallery
83 Leonard Street, 4th Floor
New York City, NY
Sign up for our newsletter!
Jason Woodside, Judith Charles Gallery, July 2014
- A new art installation at a popular West Village wine and dessert bar is catching the eye of many neighborhood residents.… »
- Select Group to Discover the Techniques of Figurative Art NEW YORK, NY July 21st, 2014 -- Renowned figurative painter… »
- Charles Burchfield, an amazing American artist from the past, once wrote: “An artist must paint not what he sees in… »
- Performance Art at Mixed Greens Gallery A Botero Piece at Sundaram Tagore Gallery for Chelsea Art Walk 2014 Last July… »
- Seeing summer group exhibitions in New York is like maintaining a steady exercise routine or going to family reunions -… »
- Ever Blossoming Life (Gold) A group of Japanese artists known as teamLab are currently presenting a compilation of… »
- Gina Minichino, Kiss, 2011 The Curator Gallery, in Chelsea, invites various folks to curate shows on a periodic basis. The… »
- Opening night for The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote at the Lodge Gallery Art by Sirikul Pattachote at The… »
- July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space… »
- Small works on paper from Alissa Blumenthal series Work-in-progress: Istomina's new video based on the footage from… »