James Kalm, after many foiled attempts, finally makes it by Salon 94 Bowery to take in the New York debut exhibition of Jayson Musson. Better known under his YouTube pseudonym “Hennessy Youngman” Musson has stormed the art world with his “homeboy” critiques of the elitist high art establishment. With “Halcyon Days” Musson shows himself to be an innovative pictorial artist with a tasteful sensitivity to materials and color. Fabricating the works from Coogi brand sweaters, the artist cuts, sews, stretches and peals layers of colorful fabric, and reveals compositions recalling geologic cross sections or the Abstract Expressionist “flame forms” of Clyfford Still. An epilog is delivered by Charlie Finch regarding the latest travails of Jeffrey Deitch. A musical introduction recorded live on the streets of the Lower East Side is provided by Kid Lucky.
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Space Between a Group Exhibition Curated by Diana Buckley at Paul Kolker Collection. November 13-16, 2014 Opening Reception Thursday, November 13 from 6-8 PM
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
- Fernando Mendoza Bravo November 2011. “The hour of the Wolf is the hour between night and dawn, when most people… »
- The art set at Driscoll Babcock Judith Lauand at Driscoll Babcock Everything old is new again. The cyclical nature of… »
- Art night in Chelsea at Yancey Richardson Thursday Art Night in Chelsea at Yancey Richardson Artist Bryan Graf … »
- 16.0, Brent Birnbaum, Paint On Treadmill, 57 x 56 x 124 in New York, New York, October 22, 2014—Diana Buckley, guest… »
- Erik Jones working on a huge 5 ft x 12 ft painting A work by Hueman A work by Alex Yanes Hueman with one of her… »
- Between the art of Thomas Scheibitz Opening for Thomas Scheibitz at Tanya Bonakdar Cheers to art on Thursday in… »
- On October 29th Mark Schubin will give a free presentation, as part of National Opera Week, at Neil Scherer’s Going… »
- Some words from Linda Yablonsky. During her life this person has written only one novel but she’s among the most… »
- As Director Richard P. Townsend explained during the press preview, MOBIA is following up its Back to Eden show (reviewed… »
- Egg-before conception Breaking the mold of the sort of artworks shown at Dacia gallery, Ted Barr's "Cycle of Life" show… »