James Kalm, after many foiled attempts, finally makes it by Salon 94 Bowery to take in the New York debut exhibition of Jayson Musson. Better known under his YouTube pseudonym “Hennessy Youngman” Musson has stormed the art world with his “homeboy” critiques of the elitist high art establishment. With “Halcyon Days” Musson shows himself to be an innovative pictorial artist with a tasteful sensitivity to materials and color. Fabricating the works from Coogi brand sweaters, the artist cuts, sews, stretches and peals layers of colorful fabric, and reveals compositions recalling geologic cross sections or the Abstract Expressionist “flame forms” of Clyfford Still. An epilog is delivered by Charlie Finch regarding the latest travails of Jeffrey Deitch. A musical introduction recorded live on the streets of the Lower East Side is provided by Kid Lucky.
Sign up for our newsletter!
Jason Woodside, Judith Charles Gallery, July 2014
- Select Group to Discover the Techniques of Figurative Art NEW YORK, NY July 21st, 2014 -- Renowned figurative painter… »
- Charles Burchfield, an amazing American artist from the past, once wrote: “An artist must paint not what he sees in… »
- Performance Art at Mixed Greens Gallery A Botero Piece at Sundaram Tagore Gallery for Chelsea Art Walk 2014 Last July… »
- Seeing summer group exhibitions in New York is like maintaining a steady exercise routine or going to family reunions -… »
- Ever Blossoming Life (Gold) A group of Japanese artists known as teamLab are currently presenting a compilation of… »
- Gina Minichino, Kiss, 2011 The Curator Gallery, in Chelsea, invites various folks to curate shows on a periodic basis. The… »
- Opening night for The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote at the Lodge Gallery Art by Sirikul Pattachote at The… »
- July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space… »
- Small works on paper from Alissa Blumenthal series Work-in-progress: Istomina's new video based on the footage from… »
- Color Us Happy to be out on ART NIGHT Artist George Horner The borderline between East Side and West Side is… »