The exhibition Figure and Form in Contemporary Photography highlights recent acquisitions and curated by Edward Robinson, Curator of the Wallis Annenberg Photography Department.
On View: July 22, 2012 – October 14, 2012
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
5905 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Capturing the human figure continues to have relevancy for contemporary photographers. As realized in this exhibition highlighting recent acquisitions, the focus comes in many forms – from the abstracted, to the gestural or performative; inclusive of form as conceptual, as sculptural, and as the object of observation, both straightforward and sublime, among other treatments. From Viviane Sassen’s evocative work that seems to defy the boundaries of the posed figure(2010), to Bruce Conner’s graphically pure life-size photogram (1974), to Paul Graham’s narrative, yet unscripted, six-part piece (2005), to Ken Gonzales-Day’s photo mural, a confrontation of its dual figures as well of the viewer (2010).
Additional artists include John Baldessari, Tracy Baran, Slater Bradley, Jo Ann Callis, Talia Chetrit, Bruce Conner, Zoe Crosher, Rineke Dijkstra, Thobias Fäldt, Fernell Franco, Paul Graham, Ken Gonzales-Day, Robert Heinecken, Anthony Hernandez, David LaChapelle, Matt Lipps, Catherine Opie, Viviane Sassen, Cindy Sherman, Madoka Takagi, Wolfgang Tillmans, and Carrie Yury.
Visit the LACMA website for further information:www.lacma.org
Sign up for our newsletter!
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- Coming in the wake of Iran Modern at the Asia Society, a show that showcased many Iranian modern masters, Portraits:… »
- Skylight gallery mistook his wife for a hat, or rather her husband since the gallery is directed by Carla Goldberg , and the… »
- Interrelated Echoes, 2014, (view 1) Steel, 62" x 41" So you’ve seen Leonardo’s Vitruvian Man – the… »
- Chambers Fine Art and Francis Naumann Fine Art have teamed up to present some of Ai Wei Wei’s latest work, along with a… »
- After two intense weeks of attending openings to kick-off the Fall 2014 Art Season, AF went back to Chelsea for… »
- Co-owner Frank Maresca Our final stop for the evening was Body Electric curated by Margot Mifflin at Ricco… »
- Iranian born New York based Samira Abbassy’s solo exhibition Conflicting Narratives: Series of Eternal War at B2OA… »
- Sometimes Brian Calvin paints a slightly open mouth against a plain background. Sometimes he presents an image of this… »
- Welcome to art night on Wednesday in NOLITA at Rebecca Hossack Gallery Wednesday night in NOLITA is alive with their art… »
- Definitely not a wall flower with this piece “Wear It Loud” at R|R Gallery Art +Jewelry Exhibition—Mercedes… »