The exhibition Figure and Form in Contemporary Photography highlights recent acquisitions and curated by Edward Robinson, Curator of the Wallis Annenberg Photography Department.
On View: July 22, 2012 – October 14, 2012
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
5905 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Capturing the human figure continues to have relevancy for contemporary photographers. As realized in this exhibition highlighting recent acquisitions, the focus comes in many forms – from the abstracted, to the gestural or performative; inclusive of form as conceptual, as sculptural, and as the object of observation, both straightforward and sublime, among other treatments. From Viviane Sassen’s evocative work that seems to defy the boundaries of the posed figure(2010), to Bruce Conner’s graphically pure life-size photogram (1974), to Paul Graham’s narrative, yet unscripted, six-part piece (2005), to Ken Gonzales-Day’s photo mural, a confrontation of its dual figures as well of the viewer (2010).
Additional artists include John Baldessari, Tracy Baran, Slater Bradley, Jo Ann Callis, Talia Chetrit, Bruce Conner, Zoe Crosher, Rineke Dijkstra, Thobias Fäldt, Fernell Franco, Paul Graham, Ken Gonzales-Day, Robert Heinecken, Anthony Hernandez, David LaChapelle, Matt Lipps, Catherine Opie, Viviane Sassen, Cindy Sherman, Madoka Takagi, Wolfgang Tillmans, and Carrie Yury.
Visit the LACMA website for further information:www.lacma.org
Sign up for our newsletter!
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- What might be the oldest symbol for the concept of ‘rebirth’? Well, if you go back to the cave paintings of about… »
- In 2012 an 84 year-old Roman Catholic nun and two male companions cut through three fences at the Y-12 nuclear weapons… »
- One of the highlights of the Chelsea opening night last week was Deborah Butterfield’s striking sculptures of horses,… »
- Several months ago I wandered into ClampArt on a Saturday afternoon and saw that the gallery was primarily filled with… »
- Satan Ceramics at Salon 94 When Michelle Grabner curated the Whitney Biennial a line was drawn, a declaration that there is… »
- My name is Tasha Lewis and I want to share with you the story of my global collaborative street art project Swarm The… »
- Christopher Le Brun at Friedman Benda Two painintgs by Christopher Le Brun photo from Friedman Benda Gallery Into each… »
- Another great art night in Chelsea (L-R) Joseph Gross with artist Ted Lawson The electric backdrop of art at Joseph… »
- A good crowd at David Benjamin Sherry opening in Danziger Gallery Artist David Benjamin Sherry David Benjamin Sherry… »
- Alexander Gray (in orange jacket) with the designer and models Vegan Grade Couture deserve Vegan Shoes With the FALL… »