The exhibition Figure and Form in Contemporary Photography highlights recent acquisitions and curated by Edward Robinson, Curator of the Wallis Annenberg Photography Department.
On View: July 22, 2012 – October 14, 2012
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
5905 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Capturing the human figure continues to have relevancy for contemporary photographers. As realized in this exhibition highlighting recent acquisitions, the focus comes in many forms – from the abstracted, to the gestural or performative; inclusive of form as conceptual, as sculptural, and as the object of observation, both straightforward and sublime, among other treatments. From Viviane Sassen’s evocative work that seems to defy the boundaries of the posed figure(2010), to Bruce Conner’s graphically pure life-size photogram (1974), to Paul Graham’s narrative, yet unscripted, six-part piece (2005), to Ken Gonzales-Day’s photo mural, a confrontation of its dual figures as well of the viewer (2010).
Additional artists include John Baldessari, Tracy Baran, Slater Bradley, Jo Ann Callis, Talia Chetrit, Bruce Conner, Zoe Crosher, Rineke Dijkstra, Thobias Fäldt, Fernell Franco, Paul Graham, Ken Gonzales-Day, Robert Heinecken, Anthony Hernandez, David LaChapelle, Matt Lipps, Catherine Opie, Viviane Sassen, Cindy Sherman, Madoka Takagi, Wolfgang Tillmans, and Carrie Yury.
Visit the LACMA website for further information:www.lacma.org
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Madness of Art — Season 1, Episode 1: Tony
- More Bradley Hart work at Anna Zorina Gallery Close Up on a sculpture by Bradley Hart Back in March 2013, I had my… »
- Art Lovers at Kim Foster Gallery Artist Kathleen Mulcahy Art by Ron Desmett Thursday Art Night at Kim Foster… »
- Perusing the art at Metro Pictures Check Mate on Art Night in Chelsea The art crowd at Metro Pictures in Chelsea … »
- The origin of the current show at Mayson Pop-Up Space, at 98 Orchard Street (the basement space at Castle Fitzjohns),… »
- Imagine listening to the first phone conversation Maayan Strauss might have had with the Kohler Company to ask for the… »
- Dogon, Granary Doors, Mali, wood with iron staples, 21” x 16” Kadir Nelson, Barber Shop, oil on canvas, 2014, 50"x… »
- The interior of Marc Straus Gallery with works by John Newsom John Newsom makes ART that can pounce and… »
- Opening night at Arlene's Grocery (L-R) Art by Danielle Mastrion, Whisbe and Michael Serafino Artist Cojo next to his… »
- In November 2013 Scooter LaForge and Johnny Rozsa set out on a cross-country car ride with Rozsa’s three dogs and a first… »