The exhibition Figure and Form in Contemporary Photography highlights recent acquisitions and curated by Edward Robinson, Curator of the Wallis Annenberg Photography Department.
On View: July 22, 2012 – October 14, 2012
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
5905 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Capturing the human figure continues to have relevancy for contemporary photographers. As realized in this exhibition highlighting recent acquisitions, the focus comes in many forms – from the abstracted, to the gestural or performative; inclusive of form as conceptual, as sculptural, and as the object of observation, both straightforward and sublime, among other treatments. From Viviane Sassen’s evocative work that seems to defy the boundaries of the posed figure(2010), to Bruce Conner’s graphically pure life-size photogram (1974), to Paul Graham’s narrative, yet unscripted, six-part piece (2005), to Ken Gonzales-Day’s photo mural, a confrontation of its dual figures as well of the viewer (2010).
Additional artists include John Baldessari, Tracy Baran, Slater Bradley, Jo Ann Callis, Talia Chetrit, Bruce Conner, Zoe Crosher, Rineke Dijkstra, Thobias Fäldt, Fernell Franco, Paul Graham, Ken Gonzales-Day, Robert Heinecken, Anthony Hernandez, David LaChapelle, Matt Lipps, Catherine Opie, Viviane Sassen, Cindy Sherman, Madoka Takagi, Wolfgang Tillmans, and Carrie Yury.
Visit the LACMA website for further information:www.lacma.org
Sign up for our newsletter!
Ryan Piers Williams: Monsters and Landscapes
2015 OPEN CALL AT COOHAUS ART MORA GALLERY
- Maria Constanza Cerullo Chief Curator at MACBA MUseum I AF: MACBA - Museum of Contemporary Art in Buenos Aires opened… »
- Guests enjoying the project 365 DEGREES OF INSTANT FILM at the opening of MONSTERS AND LANDSCAPES exhibition by Ryan Piers… »
- Open Call 2015 at Coohaus Art Mora Stop by the gallery to vote for your favorite piece A guest enjoying the work of… »
- Sculpture by Aaron Spangler Ellen Lesperance TAKE BACK VERMONT! struck me as a timely, relevant and even important type… »
- Sumi ink is made of a type of compressed soot derived from burning plant seed oils, which is then mixed with bone glue.… »
- Exterior of frosch & portmann on the LES frosch & portmann opening reception for Brad Nelson Back in January… »
- So many statements made at the show RESPOND in Smack Mellon Respond at Smack Mellon in DUMBO The Art goers come out… »
- Perusing the art of Erin Smith Amy Li (at center) with guests at the opening for Erin Smith Here is the unusual… »
- As the cognitive psychologist Jerome Bruner pointed out, before children can visually represent anything, they scribble.… »
- As he was being forced to leave the USA, in 1948, the composer Hanns Eisler read this statement to the press: “I leave… »