The exhibition Figure and Form in Contemporary Photography highlights recent acquisitions and curated by Edward Robinson, Curator of the Wallis Annenberg Photography Department.
On View: July 22, 2012 – October 14, 2012
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
5905 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Capturing the human figure continues to have relevancy for contemporary photographers. As realized in this exhibition highlighting recent acquisitions, the focus comes in many forms – from the abstracted, to the gestural or performative; inclusive of form as conceptual, as sculptural, and as the object of observation, both straightforward and sublime, among other treatments. From Viviane Sassen’s evocative work that seems to defy the boundaries of the posed figure(2010), to Bruce Conner’s graphically pure life-size photogram (1974), to Paul Graham’s narrative, yet unscripted, six-part piece (2005), to Ken Gonzales-Day’s photo mural, a confrontation of its dual figures as well of the viewer (2010).
Additional artists include John Baldessari, Tracy Baran, Slater Bradley, Jo Ann Callis, Talia Chetrit, Bruce Conner, Zoe Crosher, Rineke Dijkstra, Thobias Fäldt, Fernell Franco, Paul Graham, Ken Gonzales-Day, Robert Heinecken, Anthony Hernandez, David LaChapelle, Matt Lipps, Catherine Opie, Viviane Sassen, Cindy Sherman, Madoka Takagi, Wolfgang Tillmans, and Carrie Yury.
Visit the LACMA website for further information:www.lacma.org
Sign up for our newsletter!
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
COJO, Castle Fitzjohns Gallery, September 2014
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- Thursday Art Night at FLOWERS Gallery Close Up Detail on work by Renny Tait It is the Major Duomo of ART Fun is on… »
- Sara MacCulloch Opening at Kathryn Markel Fine Arts Thursday Art Night at 529 West 20th Street Building at Kathryn Markel… »
- Birgit Brenner, Sleep, 2014,Wood, paint, paper, 47.2 x 24 inchesimage courtesy of Marc Straus gallery Birgit Brenner,… »
- Over the canyon, behind the pain. That's where we'll find out way home by Jay Riggio hand cut collage on vellum paper 11 x 14… »
- In Halley Zien’s current work at BravinLee programs, she uses a combination of collage and painting to create small… »
- Rima Fujita, Avidya, 68x58 inches; mixed media on canvas Michela Martello, me on, work in progress for the installation,… »
- Karen Fitzgerald, The Shy Moon, 2013 Karen Fitzgerald, Idir Eathara, 2012 The NYOC Gallery is pleased to present… »
- The great Vito Acconci let us into his studio in Dumbo (Brooklyn) for a conversation. During which he went over his history… »
- Garis & Hahn Gallery on the Bowery Artist Julien Levy taking a moment to check phone messages of… »
- Post To My Wall is FUN Downtown Casual Cool for reception of Alex Kelleher Alex Kelleher at his reception in Sohotel… »