In a HIJACKING situation there is the occupation, demanding and taking of hostages. Last August 2, 2012 – Arte Fuse came to Jack Shainman Gallery on 20th Street and encountered a HiJACK-ing in progress. The art handlers have taken over the space and turned the mechanics of an exhibition upside down or rather right side up with the show HiJack!
The show organized/curated by Luke Turner along with Victor de Matha and Daniel Finch has fostered a new dawn to focus the spotlight on the less visible member of the art flow chart – the art handlers. Without their expert skill and sweat equity, it is impossible for a gallery to stage exhibitions month after month. Most art handlers are well educated and accomplished artists that happen to have the unglamorous job being picture hangers per art industry parlance.
The staunch artists that took over the gallery in the show are: Anthony Campuzano, Bessma Khalaf, Esperanza Mayobre, Chris Mottalini, Odili Donald Odita, Mariah Robertson, Tyler Rowland, and Malick Sidibé.
All of the works touch on the worldwide social issue of human labor in all forms and dynamics. There were paintings, multi-media work, video, drawings, and installations. Another feature of note was the library out front with the bench seating area with table fashioned from found lumber by the art handlers. All the art books and reference materials that are usually behind the reception desk is out in the open for easy access. The door that privately encloses the office has been removed to expose it to the public. Unconventional strokes of fancy that really espouses the whole take over as not merely lip service and the gallery is indeed under siege – with their full consent of course.
Examining the selected oeuvre and talking to some of the artists during the shoulder to shoulder packed opening reception yielded a passionate overview of each one about their art. It is not only about the obvious or the aesthetic nature of the work but the underlying message that final results does not take into account the tireless labor put in. It is true that sometimes a work of art is born out of blood, sweat and tears. Perhaps the best summary and work that exemplified this is the tableau of All of the Objects Needed to Install a Work of Art. This installation is poignant and encapsulates the austere nature of the work behind the work. For that, one’s attention is taken hostage to be reminded that the hand that hangs the art really rules the world although in silent satisfaction.
HiJack! / On View: August 2 – September 1, 2012
Gallery Summer Hours: Monday – Friday (10 am – 6 pm)
Jack Shainman Gallery. 513 West 20th Street. New York, NY 10011
- Picture This: Flowers Gallery Bared Some Skin has been extended until August 24th
- Vadis Turner Fabricates Perfection
- Check out: FOUNTAIN NEW YORK ANNOUNCES MASSIVE STREET ART INSTALLATION FOR 2011 FAIR Ten Revered Artists Collaborate on a 100-Foot Installation from March 4–March 6, 12pm–7pm
- Photo Story: Closing reception for The Mural Project at Succulent Studios
- Daniele Davitti’s “Immaculate Decay”
Sign up for our newsletter!
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- One of the highlights of the Chelsea opening night last week was Deborah Butterfield’s striking sculptures of horses,… »
- Several months ago I wandered into ClampArt on a Saturday afternoon and saw that the gallery was primarily filled with… »
- Satan Ceramics at Salon 94 When Michelle Grabner curated the Whitney Biennial a line was drawn, a declaration that there is… »
- My name is Tasha Lewis and I want to share with you the story of my global collaborative street art project Swarm The… »
- Christopher Le Brun at Friedman Benda Two painintgs by Christopher Le Brun photo from Friedman Benda Gallery Into each… »
- Another great art night in Chelsea (L-R) Joseph Gross with artist Ted Lawson The electric backdrop of art at Joseph… »
- A good crowd at David Benjamin Sherry opening in Danziger Gallery Artist David Benjamin Sherry David Benjamin Sherry… »
- Alexander Gray (in orange jacket) with the designer and models Vegan Grade Couture deserve Vegan Shoes With the FALL… »
- Why did New York City become one of the centers of the world banking system? It started with shipping. Before Wall Street… »
- Opening night for Kent Henricksen's Disharmony in Blue and Gold at The Lodge Gallery Aritst Kent Henricksen After a… »