Orchard Windows Gallery is pleased to present Shifting Perception, a solo show of drawings by Colleen Blackard. This exhibition will be on display from August 13th-20th, 2012.
Opening Reception: Tuesday, August 14th, 2012, 6-9PM
Shifting Perception highlights the importance of memory in creating a positive future. To bring us closer to a time when memory loss itself will be forgotten, Colleen Blackard and Orchard Windows Gallery will donate 25% of sales to The Alzheimer’s Association, New York City Chapter.
The heart of the show is hidden, but not lost. The viewer must touch the work to complete the piece. When only a small detail appears, the viewer must use memory to recreate the image in its entirety. The experience of the piece continues as long as the memory lasts. Memory defies loss.
Memories tempt us to interpret the present based on the past and, from there, create our future. Some of the pieces display iconic images with negative associations. The images can incite certain past memories, but a touch of reality can easily shift our perception, allowing us to connect with a point in the past when inspiration rather than fear could have kept negative events from occurring. Memory defines the past and inspires the future.
Will yours be negative or positive?
Colleen Blackard is originally from Austin, TX, and currently lives and works in Brooklyn. She received a BA in Studio Art from Hampshire College, MA. She has been included in exhibitions at the Rush Arts Gallery, Family Business Gallery, Times Square, and Contrast at 320 Studios. This is her first solo show at Orchard Windows Gallery.
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Art Installation by Brian Reed I met Brian Reed in 2012 at an opening of Chair and the Maiden (CATM) Chelsea at their… »
- Danilo Perez Panama 500 The start of Summer brings a bounty of splendor: beachy days and starry nights, barbeques and… »
- Crank a Fish & See the Origins of Consciousness at ISE Cultural Foundation Spiritual fulfilment has often been… »
- Attendees at the MFA Photography Graduate Thesis show at The Sheila C. Johnson Design Center Gallery Commiserating over… »
- Eric Starosielski's studio Eric working on a new price in front of Angkor Wat, Late After Sunset, a back lit… »
- 21st Precinct art show Guests at the opening Over the weekend, the old 21st precinct in NYC hosted an art show with… »
- Art night at COOHAUS in Chelsea Perusing the cool art at COOHAUS Art lovers come out in the summer in Chelsea to cool… »
- Sarah Doherty Heinrichs Opening at New Century Artist Gallery An artful feast in Chelsea on Thursday Art Night Getting… »
- Image: Proposal for White and Indian Dead Monument Transpositions, Washington, D.C., 2005. Medium density fiberboard,… »
- Archeologists have found an area in Turkey which might have inspired the Garden of Eden story. Gobekli Tepe is a region… »