Lehmann Maupin Gallery is pleased to present Friends with Benefits, a group exhibition on view 28 June – 10 August at 201 Chyrstie Street. Extending the gallery space to local emerging talent for our summer show, we turned to Tony Oursler, Angel Otero, Tim Rollins, Mickalene Thomas, and Nari Ward to reach out to New York artists whose work they wish to encourage. The show manifests the gallery community as a fertile space for the exchange of ideas and an opportunity for fresh prespectives, while supporting the richness of New York’s interconnected art world. Curated by Carla Camacho and Drew Moody, the participating artists include Derrick Adams, Scott Andresen, David Antonio Cruz, Nicole Awai, Matias Cuevas, Max Galyon, Wilfredo Ortega, Linda Post, and Sebastien Vallejo
Since opening in October 1996, Lehmann Maupin has identified and cultivated the careers of an international roster of visionary and historically significant artists. We support artists working in new and challenging forms who are likely to impact contemporary art and culture. With curators and leading intellectuals in the field, we seek to present these artists in context; and, to accelerate their influence and value in the market.
The gallery has given important artists their first one-person exhibitions in New York including Tracey Emin, Anya Gallaccio, Shirazeh Houshiary, Do Ho Suh, Juergen Teller, and Adriana Varejão. In addition, the gallery has exposed emerging talents, such as Mickalene Thomas, Hernan Bas, Angel Otero and the Japanese artist Mr., through exhibitions at the gallery and participations in select art fairs. Our program includes important artists such as Lee Bul, Ashley Bickerton, Gilbert & George, Teresita Fernandez, Tony Oursler, Tim Rollins and K.O.S., Nari Ward, and Erwin Wurm.
Founded by partners Rachel Lehmann and David Maupin, Lehmann Maupin first opened in SoHo, and moved, in September 2002, to its present location in Chelsea. A second New York gallery space opened in late 2007 at 201 Chrystie Street in Manhattan’s new cultural hub, the Bowery area
201 Chrystie Street
New York, NY 10002
Telephone 212 254 0054
Sign up for our newsletter!
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
COJO, Castle Fitzjohns Gallery, September 2014
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- As Director Richard P. Townsend explained during the press preview, MOBIA is following up its Back to Eden Show (reviewed… »
- Egg-before conception Breaking the mold of the sort of artworks shown at Dacia gallery, Ted Barr's "Cycle of Life" show… »
- Mikhail Larionov (1881-1964), Abstract Composition, 1910, Pencil and watercolor on paper, 16.5 x 12 in / 41.9 x 30.4… »
- Moyra Davey, Diaries III, 2014, Digital C-print, tape, postage, ink, 12 x 18 inches Moyra Davey Burn the Diaries ICA… »
- In 1984 E.O. Wilson wrote the book Biophilia, which theorized that there was an inherent attraction that humans felt toward… »
- Studying details in the art of Antonio Petracca Close Up detail on the work of Antonio Petracca for Mezzogiorno Artist… »
- Thursday Art Night at FLOWERS Gallery Close Up Detail on work by Renny Tait It is the Major Duomo of ART Fun is on… »
- Sara MacCulloch Opening at Kathryn Markel Fine Arts Thursday Art Night at 529 West 20th Street Building at Kathryn Markel… »
- Birgit Brenner, Sleep, 2014,Wood, paint, paper, 47.2 x 24 inchesimage courtesy of Marc Straus gallery Birgit Brenner,… »
- Over the canyon, behind the pain. That's where we'll find out way home by Jay Riggio hand cut collage on vellum paper 11 x 14… »