Lehmann Maupin Gallery is pleased to present Friends with Benefits, a group exhibition on view 28 June – 10 August at 201 Chyrstie Street. Extending the gallery space to local emerging talent for our summer show, we turned to Tony Oursler, Angel Otero, Tim Rollins, Mickalene Thomas, and Nari Ward to reach out to New York artists whose work they wish to encourage. The show manifests the gallery community as a fertile space for the exchange of ideas and an opportunity for fresh prespectives, while supporting the richness of New York’s interconnected art world. Curated by Carla Camacho and Drew Moody, the participating artists include Derrick Adams, Scott Andresen, David Antonio Cruz, Nicole Awai, Matias Cuevas, Max Galyon, Wilfredo Ortega, Linda Post, and Sebastien Vallejo
Since opening in October 1996, Lehmann Maupin has identified and cultivated the careers of an international roster of visionary and historically significant artists. We support artists working in new and challenging forms who are likely to impact contemporary art and culture. With curators and leading intellectuals in the field, we seek to present these artists in context; and, to accelerate their influence and value in the market.
The gallery has given important artists their first one-person exhibitions in New York including Tracey Emin, Anya Gallaccio, Shirazeh Houshiary, Do Ho Suh, Juergen Teller, and Adriana Varejão. In addition, the gallery has exposed emerging talents, such as Mickalene Thomas, Hernan Bas, Angel Otero and the Japanese artist Mr., through exhibitions at the gallery and participations in select art fairs. Our program includes important artists such as Lee Bul, Ashley Bickerton, Gilbert & George, Teresita Fernandez, Tony Oursler, Tim Rollins and K.O.S., Nari Ward, and Erwin Wurm.
Founded by partners Rachel Lehmann and David Maupin, Lehmann Maupin first opened in SoHo, and moved, in September 2002, to its present location in Chelsea. A second New York gallery space opened in late 2007 at 201 Chrystie Street in Manhattan’s new cultural hub, the Bowery area
201 Chrystie Street
New York, NY 10002
Telephone 212 254 0054
Sign up for our newsletter!
Jason Woodside, Judith Charles Gallery, July 2014
- Performance Art at Mixed Greens Gallery A Botero Piece at Sundaram Tagore Gallery for Chelsea Art Walk 2014 Last July… »
- Seeing summer group exhibitions in New York is like maintaining a steady exercise routine or going to family reunions -… »
- Ever Blossoming Life (Gold) A group of Japanese artists known as teamLab are currently presenting a compilation of… »
- Gina Minichino, Kiss, 2011 The Curator Gallery, in Chelsea, invites various folks to curate shows on a periodic basis. The… »
- Opening night for The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote at the Lodge Gallery Art by Sirikul Pattachote at The… »
- July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space… »
- Small works on paper from Alissa Blumenthal series Work-in-progress: Istomina's new video based on the footage from… »
- Color Us Happy to be out on ART NIGHT Artist George Horner The borderline between East Side and West Side is… »
- Color Rules in the Art Shows of South Korea Mixing Art with the art crowd in South Korea * AF Editor Note: Deukyun… »
- Amorphic Form 1 (Wave), Iron Amorphic Form 3 (Claw), Bronze In the art world, to utilize the most expensive and… »