Lehmann Maupin Gallery is pleased to present Friends with Benefits, a group exhibition on view 28 June – 10 August at 201 Chyrstie Street. Extending the gallery space to local emerging talent for our summer show, we turned to Tony Oursler, Angel Otero, Tim Rollins, Mickalene Thomas, and Nari Ward to reach out to New York artists whose work they wish to encourage. The show manifests the gallery community as a fertile space for the exchange of ideas and an opportunity for fresh prespectives, while supporting the richness of New York’s interconnected art world. Curated by Carla Camacho and Drew Moody, the participating artists include Derrick Adams, Scott Andresen, David Antonio Cruz, Nicole Awai, Matias Cuevas, Max Galyon, Wilfredo Ortega, Linda Post, and Sebastien Vallejo
Since opening in October 1996, Lehmann Maupin has identified and cultivated the careers of an international roster of visionary and historically significant artists. We support artists working in new and challenging forms who are likely to impact contemporary art and culture. With curators and leading intellectuals in the field, we seek to present these artists in context; and, to accelerate their influence and value in the market.
The gallery has given important artists their first one-person exhibitions in New York including Tracey Emin, Anya Gallaccio, Shirazeh Houshiary, Do Ho Suh, Juergen Teller, and Adriana Varejão. In addition, the gallery has exposed emerging talents, such as Mickalene Thomas, Hernan Bas, Angel Otero and the Japanese artist Mr., through exhibitions at the gallery and participations in select art fairs. Our program includes important artists such as Lee Bul, Ashley Bickerton, Gilbert & George, Teresita Fernandez, Tony Oursler, Tim Rollins and K.O.S., Nari Ward, and Erwin Wurm.
Founded by partners Rachel Lehmann and David Maupin, Lehmann Maupin first opened in SoHo, and moved, in September 2002, to its present location in Chelsea. A second New York gallery space opened in late 2007 at 201 Chrystie Street in Manhattan’s new cultural hub, the Bowery area
201 Chrystie Street
New York, NY 10002
Telephone 212 254 0054
Sign up for our newsletter!
Ryan Piers Williams: Monsters and Landscapes
2015 OPEN CALL AT COOHAUS ART MORA GALLERY
- Guests enjoying the project 365 DEGREES OF INSTANT FILM at the opening of MONSTERS AND LANDSCAPES exhibition by Ryan Piers… »
- Open Call 2015 at Coohaus Art Mora Stop by the gallery to vote for your favorite piece A guest enjoying the work of… »
- Sculpture by Aaron Spangler Ellen Lesperance TAKE BACK VERMONT! struck me as a timely, relevant and even important type… »
- Sumi ink is made of a type of compressed soot derived from burning plant seed oils, which is then mixed with bone glue.… »
- Exterior of frosch & portmann on the LES frosch & portmann opening reception for Brad Nelson Back in January… »
- So many statements made at the show RESPOND in Smack Mellon Respond at Smack Mellon in DUMBO The Art goers come out… »
- Perusing the art of Erin Smith Amy Li (at center) with guests at the opening for Erin Smith Here is the unusual… »
- As the cognitive psychologist Jerome Bruner pointed out, before children can visually represent anything, they scribble.… »
- As he was being forced to leave the USA, in 1948, the composer Hanns Eisler read this statement to the press: “I leave… »
- Guest enjoying the work of Julia Sinelnikova Opening night for Magick Show at Galerie Protégé Folks who like to… »