Joy Wai Gallery proudly presents VITRIO, an exhibition by Finnish photographer SAANA WANG, featuring a series of photographs from her visits to China, from 2007 to the present.
Distances have shrank,
but I feel so far.
“Beijing airport. I am on the move searching for a free seat.
There are hundreds of people around me. A woman starts to cry.
She cries from a very deep place, filling the room with her pain.
I stop. I see her man reaching to her, holding her.
She is about to faint.
The man looks like something terrible has happened.
She moans again, loudly, no words are said.
I stand there. Now I hear the words: «My son!».I look at the people.
The seating area is still.
I want to approach her and hug her. But then my legs don’t move.
Like the other people around me, I freeze. I don’t do a thing.
From that moment on her voice is with me.”
Wang’s work does not constitute an attempt at commentary or description. Her approach is simply informed by questions, mostly pertaining to distance and time, and, rather than representations, her work consists of constructions guided by a deep curiosity and desire to understand.
The word “China” has become a portmanteau of sorts in American vernacular: it covers aspects that are still very foreign to most and translate into an imagery often bound by strict conventions. However, China’s everyday realities are also a complex and fluid mixture of the sublime and the horrible, a tension between the gritty and the beautiful on a scale both micro and macroscopic.
Wang’s work takes viewers into that context of painful equilibrium and blinding disequilibrium, into an almost subterranean world, where elements of threat, strangeness and abjection form a vital if disquieting undercurrent.
CARMINA FIGURATA: VITRIO is the first of a series of exhibitions that will be presented by the gallery as part of a larger artistic journey entitled, Carmina Figurata, which will explore visual arts as poetic form, as well as the value of the elegiac in the contemporary moment.
Born in Helsinki in 1979, SAANA WANG currently lives and works in New York. Her work has been presented in multiple solo and group exhibitions throughout Europe, Asia and USA.
Exhibitions: “Letters of Olana,” New York Public Library (part of the FEC Award Gala 2012); “ReGeneration 2,” International emerging photographer touring exhibition at Les Rencontres d ́Arles (FR), Le Musée de l ́Elysée in Lausanne (CH) and Aperture Foundation NYC (USA); “Hujialou” in Helsinki North by New York, New Nordic
Art, Scandinavian House, 2011; “Photography and Video NOW,” Group Show at the Helsinki and City Art Museum and at The National Museum of Photography in Copenhagen; (DEN)Art Fairs: Presented by TaiK Art at Paris Photo 08, Art Form Berlin 08, Daegu Photo Biennale Korea; among others.
Books: “ReGeneration 2 – Tomorrow’s Photographers Today,” published by Thames and Hudson;
Awards: Trieste photo prize “ITS#8 Mini Clubman Photo” (IT), 2009.
WANG’S WORK HAS BEEN PUBLISHED IN THE CATALOGUE, “HELSINKI SCHOOL VOL. 3: YOUNG PHOTOGRAPHY BY TAIK,” AS WELL AS IN
“HELSINKI SCHOOL VOL. 4: A FEMALE VIEW,” PUBLISHED BY HATJE CANTZ.
- Follow on Tumblr - Follow artefuse
FEATURED OPENING: FEDERICO CATTANEO
Artist Kim Kalinoski
Claes Oldenburg | The Street
Claes Oldenburg | The Store
TateShots: Allen Jones on Lichtenstein
1913 | “Contrast of Forms” by Fernand Léger
Arte Fuse Recent Posts
- The Other World III 40" x 60" The Other World I 60" x 43" Interview With Quiet Lunch In her first NYC solo… »
- Ilona Szwarc's "American Girls" June 5th- July 3rd Opening reception: June 5th, 6-8pm Ilona Szwarc's "American… »
- DiGiovanni, ink on gelatin silver print, 16 x 14 inches, 2012 Kim Kalinoski received her Bachelor or Fine Arts degree from… »
- Battle Armor by Karen Heagle Artist Karen Heagle Heraldry and the days of valiant knights are now legendary. Everyone… »
- The art is BOLD yet alluring by Laura Bochet Guests glamour it up at Something in Mind Artist Laura… »
- Jessica Segall, The Thirsty Person, Who Having Found a Spring, Rushes to Drink, Does Not Contemplate Its Beauty (2011), video… »
- Meg Cranston recipient of the Artadia NADA award Hudson of Feature Inc talking to a client at NADA Art Fair Debo… »
- The 81 Foot Balloon Dog by Paul McCarthy greets all at Frieze Art Fair NY 2013 Jack Early at McCaffrey Fine Art Booth … »
- Thomas Witte: "Piazza San Marco" 2012 Hand cut archival paper at Davidson Contemporary Cameron Gray at Mike Weiss… »
- The booth for Galerie Dix9 (R) Bruno Hadjadj Director of cutlog Approximately 45 galleries and curators presented… »