Brief History with an Ax
June 7 to July 13, 2012
“The clock is ticking and how much we do not have … So why not go faster with the tools that we have, even if they are not very sophisticated. Note that, whatever the tool precisely, it is the power and precision of gesture that counts above all and whatever the use. Therefore a metaphorical ax to cut the phenomenon in order to collect at least some bursts since it would be sheer presumption to want to seize it in entirety. Rearrange these fragments, debris, or fractions, according to rules devised, and often improbable set always temporarily, conveniently share them with others … Building with these fragments, fire and flames … Retinal and irresistibly cinematic. ” – DC
After one year of residence at the Villa Medici in Rome, Delphine Coindet returns to Galerie Laurent Godin for a third solo exhibition brief history with an ax.
For this exhibition, the artist brings together, in an unconventional way, a body of work resulting from interdisciplinary projects generated in this work context and on the occasion of the exhibition Extended Scope, conducted with the help of the Master ” Arts and Crafts Exhibition “from the Université de Rennes II from January to April 2012. The set designed for this new exhibition includes sculptures, drawings and photos revolving around a centerpiece: the Podium Medici. Conducted on the occasion of the exhibition Teatro delle Esposizioni at the Villa Medici, this sculpture is as a mobile stage, polychrome, composed of eight distinct parts, infinitely reconfigurable and offering the possibility of staging in situations still unpublished, artistic practices (music, dance, theater) … or strictly intellectual.
The Podium is thus a potential structure, nice to see for herself, and especially likely to produce an endless constellation of objects and events, interstitial friction and occasional trips.
Galerie Laurent Godin
5, rue Saint-Lazare in the attic
75003 Paris – France
T: +33 (0) 1 42 71 10 66
Sign up for our newsletter!
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- Coming in the wake of Iran Modern at the Asia Society, a show that showcased many Iranian modern masters, Portraits:… »
- Skylight gallery mistook his wife for a hat, or rather her husband since the gallery is directed by Carla Goldberg , and the… »
- Interrelated Echoes, 2014, (view 1) Steel, 62" x 41" So you’ve seen Leonardo’s Vitruvian Man – the… »
- Chambers Fine Art and Francis Naumann Fine Art have teamed up to present some of Ai Wei Wei’s latest work, along with a… »
- After two intense weeks of attending openings to kick-off the Fall 2014 Art Season, AF went back to Chelsea for… »
- Co-owner Frank Maresca Our final stop for the evening was Body Electric curated by Margot Mifflin at Ricco… »
- Iranian born New York based Samira Abbassy’s solo exhibition Conflicting Narratives: Series of Eternal War at B2OA… »
- Sometimes Brian Calvin paints a slightly open mouth against a plain background. Sometimes he presents an image of this… »
- Welcome to art night on Wednesday in NOLITA at Rebecca Hossack Gallery Wednesday night in NOLITA is alive with their art… »
- Definitely not a wall flower with this piece “Wear It Loud” at R|R Gallery Art +Jewelry Exhibition—Mercedes… »