Davenport and Shapiro Fine Art is pleased to announce that it will feature an exhibition of the career works of Abstract Expressionist artist Harriette Joffe beginning Saturday, June 30rd at its East Hampton Gallery. Davenport and Shapiro is publishing a monograph in conjunction with the show. The show itself is curated by art critic Robert Linsley.
Harriette Joffe’s 50-year career spans from post-World War II to the present. Embraced by the first generation of Abstract Expressionist painters on the East End of Long Island, she represents one of the last living links to central figures in the avant-garde of 20th-century American art, including such artists as Willem de Kooning, Elaine de Kooning, Philip Pavia, Ibram Lassaw, John Little and Balcomb Greene.
“We are pleased to welcome Harriette back to the Hamptons, where she lived and painted for so many years and where she and her work have been beloved,” said Gallery Director Howard Shapiro. “She has an important ongoing contribution to make—both to the local arts scene and the art world dialogue nationally.”
Davenport and Shapiro will offer both a Joffe retrospective spanning 50 years and Joffe’s most recent works—her Riversong series. “This new work continues her exploration of figurative and abstract form,” said co-Director Len Davenport.
Joff has exhibited frequently in the Hamptons: she is represented in numerous private collections. Her contribution to the culture of American Abstract Expressionism is featured in the Parrish Museum’s “East End Stories” permanent oral history series.
The exhibition will open with a reception on Saturday, June 30th from 5-9 pm. Joffe will give an artist’s talk at the gallery on July 7th at 5 pm.
For further information, please contact:
Howard Shapiro, Gallery Director
Davenport and Shapiro Fine Art
37 Newtown Lane
East Hampton, NY 11937
- Davenport and Shapiro to Present Works on Paper by Ted Stamatelos
- Davenport & Shapiro Fine Arts Opens Summer Season with Emerging Contemporary Art Show
- Before Their Iconic Rise: Warhol & Indiana
- The American Academy of Arts and Letters holds an award ceremony
- Artist Roz Jacobs Opens “Paintings & Process” Exhibit at Synchronicity Space Fine Arts
Sign up for our newsletter!
Jason Woodside, Judith Charles Gallery, July 2014
- Performance Art at Mixed Greens Gallery A Botero Piece at Sundaram Tagore Gallery for Chelsea Art Walk 2014 Last July… »
- Seeing summer group exhibitions in New York is like maintaining a steady exercise routine or going to family reunions -… »
- Ever Blossoming Life (Gold) A group of Japanese artists known as teamLab are currently presenting a compilation of… »
- Gina Minichino, Kiss, 2011 The Curator Gallery, in Chelsea, invites various folks to curate shows on a periodic basis. The… »
- Opening night for The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote at the Lodge Gallery Art by Sirikul Pattachote at The… »
- July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space… »
- Small works on paper from Alissa Blumenthal series Work-in-progress: Istomina's new video based on the footage from… »
- Color Us Happy to be out on ART NIGHT Artist George Horner The borderline between East Side and West Side is… »
- Color Rules in the Art Shows of South Korea Mixing Art with the art crowd in South Korea * AF Editor Note: Deukyun… »
- Amorphic Form 1 (Wave), Iron Amorphic Form 3 (Claw), Bronze In the art world, to utilize the most expensive and… »