Davenport and Shapiro Fine Art is pleased to announce that it will feature an exhibition of the career works of Abstract Expressionist artist Harriette Joffe beginning Saturday, June 30rd at its East Hampton Gallery. Davenport and Shapiro is publishing a monograph in conjunction with the show. The show itself is curated by art critic Robert Linsley.
Harriette Joffe’s 50-year career spans from post-World War II to the present. Embraced by the first generation of Abstract Expressionist painters on the East End of Long Island, she represents one of the last living links to central figures in the avant-garde of 20th-century American art, including such artists as Willem de Kooning, Elaine de Kooning, Philip Pavia, Ibram Lassaw, John Little and Balcomb Greene.
“We are pleased to welcome Harriette back to the Hamptons, where she lived and painted for so many years and where she and her work have been beloved,” said Gallery Director Howard Shapiro. “She has an important ongoing contribution to make—both to the local arts scene and the art world dialogue nationally.”
Davenport and Shapiro will offer both a Joffe retrospective spanning 50 years and Joffe’s most recent works—her Riversong series. “This new work continues her exploration of figurative and abstract form,” said co-Director Len Davenport.
Joff has exhibited frequently in the Hamptons: she is represented in numerous private collections. Her contribution to the culture of American Abstract Expressionism is featured in the Parrish Museum’s “East End Stories” permanent oral history series.
The exhibition will open with a reception on Saturday, June 30th from 5-9 pm. Joffe will give an artist’s talk at the gallery on July 7th at 5 pm.
For further information, please contact:
Howard Shapiro, Gallery Director
Davenport and Shapiro Fine Art
37 Newtown Lane
East Hampton, NY 11937
- Davenport and Shapiro to Present Works on Paper by Ted Stamatelos
- Davenport & Shapiro Fine Arts Opens Summer Season with Emerging Contemporary Art Show
- Before Their Iconic Rise: Warhol & Indiana
- The American Academy of Arts and Letters holds an award ceremony
- Artist Roz Jacobs Opens “Paintings & Process” Exhibit at Synchronicity Space Fine Arts
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Art Installation by Brian Reed I met Brian Reed in 2012 at an opening of Chair and the Maiden (CATM) Chelsea at their… »
- Danilo Perez Panama 500 The start of Summer brings a bounty of splendor: beachy days and starry nights, barbeques and… »
- Crank a Fish & See the Origins of Consciousness at ISE Cultural Foundation Spiritual fulfilment has often been… »
- Attendees at the MFA Photography Graduate Thesis show at The Sheila C. Johnson Design Center Gallery Commiserating over… »
- Eric Starosielski's studio Eric working on a new price in front of Angkor Wat, Late After Sunset, a back lit… »
- 21st Precinct art show Guests at the opening Over the weekend, the old 21st precinct in NYC hosted an art show with… »
- Art night at COOHAUS in Chelsea Perusing the cool art at COOHAUS Art lovers come out in the summer in Chelsea to cool… »
- Sarah Doherty Heinrichs Opening at New Century Artist Gallery An artful feast in Chelsea on Thursday Art Night Getting… »
- Image: Proposal for White and Indian Dead Monument Transpositions, Washington, D.C., 2005. Medium density fiberboard,… »
- Archeologists have found an area in Turkey which might have inspired the Garden of Eden story. Gobekli Tepe is a region… »