Davenport and Shapiro Fine Art is pleased to announce that it will feature an exhibition of the career works of Abstract Expressionist artist Harriette Joffe beginning Saturday, June 30rd at its East Hampton Gallery. Davenport and Shapiro is publishing a monograph in conjunction with the show. The show itself is curated by art critic Robert Linsley.
Harriette Joffe’s 50-year career spans from post-World War II to the present. Embraced by the first generation of Abstract Expressionist painters on the East End of Long Island, she represents one of the last living links to central figures in the avant-garde of 20th-century American art, including such artists as Willem de Kooning, Elaine de Kooning, Philip Pavia, Ibram Lassaw, John Little and Balcomb Greene.
“We are pleased to welcome Harriette back to the Hamptons, where she lived and painted for so many years and where she and her work have been beloved,” said Gallery Director Howard Shapiro. “She has an important ongoing contribution to make—both to the local arts scene and the art world dialogue nationally.”
Davenport and Shapiro will offer both a Joffe retrospective spanning 50 years and Joffe’s most recent works—her Riversong series. “This new work continues her exploration of figurative and abstract form,” said co-Director Len Davenport.
Joff has exhibited frequently in the Hamptons: she is represented in numerous private collections. Her contribution to the culture of American Abstract Expressionism is featured in the Parrish Museum’s “East End Stories” permanent oral history series.
The exhibition will open with a reception on Saturday, June 30th from 5-9 pm. Joffe will give an artist’s talk at the gallery on July 7th at 5 pm.
For further information, please contact:
Howard Shapiro, Gallery Director
Davenport and Shapiro Fine Art
37 Newtown Lane
East Hampton, NY 11937
Sign up for our newsletter!
“Sir! Sir! ….Sorry.” By Ivaylo Gueorgiev at Launch F-18
- Art night in the LES can be a golden opportunity Artist Elise Adibi The last time I saw the work and reviewed Elise… »
- Art night on the LES in Krause Gallery Stephan Zirwes & Marco Guglielmino at Krause Gallery Installation shot of… »
- Public Display: Streetscapes by Rad Roubeni Opening Reception: Sunday, December 21, 2014 4 - 7 p.m Exhibition… »
- Bloody good photos at Site 109 Photography lovers at Site 109 A bird's eye view at Site 109 Close Up Detail on one… »
- Prime Set Who: Justin Stewart, Chandler Craig, Allison Barker and a collective of musicians, visual artists, and… »
- Festina Lente group show at Create and Collectduring Art Basel week 2014 Laura Cartagena and Tatiana Camacho WYNWOOD,… »
- On Friday November 14th, Arte Fuse visited Launch F18 for their final opening at its current location in Tribeca. The… »
- Press release provided by the Gallery Venus Over Manhattan and Sotheby’s S|2 present Cosa Nostra, the first major… »
- Graffiti at Fridge Art Fair Qinza and Zaks Art by Lady Millard Fridge Art Fair was pleased to offer exhibitors and… »
- To experience Eliane Elias in concert is to understand the notion of temporary bliss. With a career spanning forty… »