Signals, Colin McCallum’s exhibition of new paintings, refer to the subliminal and visual overload of our consumer society. The work is inspired by the collective experience of contemporary living.
City life is filled with an array of imagery, from airport and train station digital monitors to pixelated television and computer screens at home – supermarket shopping aisles and their myriad of packaging, lighting and random colour combinations.
This language is part of our daily life, but we seldom notice its impact or are able to appreciate it as more than a communication tool. Colin is fascinated by it and he takes elements from these aspects to create equivalent visual experiences. They are not simply representative but stimulating and intriguing. In one series of paintings, inspiration came from the aspirational idea of the perfect swimming pool. In his interpretation he presents us with a hypnotic grid of ripples or waves of light in a uniform balance, symmetrical to the edges, the symbol of an ideal that never exists.
The relationship between urban living and all its technology is a recurring theme and influence in his work. These moments are translated into forms and colours, as familiar as a computer screen or as haunting as a night lit office interior.
Colin McCallum’s paintings vibrate with bold, metallic, luminous paint with strong and contrasting colour palettes. Through his observations of man-made structures and objects he shows us an alternative reality, just below the surface of our experiences.
Opening Reception: 6.30 – 8.30 pm 24 May 2012
Exhibition: 25 May – 17 June 2012
Granada TV, Cooper’s Lybrand Deloitte and various private collections: Switzerland, New York,
London, Barcelona, Singapore, and Brussels.
1976-9 BA (Hons) Degree, Fine Art (Painting), Camberwell School of Art, London
1975-6 Art Foundation Course, Camberwell School of Art, London
London Arts Board Individual Artist’s Award
2011 AAF Singapore, Bicha Gallery
TIAF 2011 Toronto International Art Fair, Bicha Gallery
AAF London Battersea, Bicha Gallery
AAF Bristol, Bicha Gallery
AAF New York, Bicha Gallery
Art Chicago, Bicha Gallery
AAF Brussels, Bicha Gallery
AAF Milan, Bicha Gallery
2010 AAF Singapore, Bicha Gallery
AAF Amsterdam, Bicha Gallery
AAF London, Bicha Gallery
2009 Open Studios Freixas Building, L’Hospitalet, Barcelona
2008 Open Studios Freixas Building, L’Hospitalet, Barcelona
2007 Open Studios Freixas Building, L’Hospitalet, Barcelona
2006 Euro Star Cristal Palace Hotel, Barcelona (One-man exhibition)
2004 Tallers Oberts, organised by FAD, Cuitat Vella Barcelona
Creart Gallery, Barcelona
2003 Sala Gracia, Barcelona (One-man exhibition)
1999-2002 Represented by Si-Art. Art consultancy /internet gallery.
Leasing of large works to various corporate clients.
1998 “Vital Art”, London Arthouse, Atlantis Gallery, London
Art at Institute of Physics, Portland Place, London
1997 “The Motor Show” touring exhibition (Group show)
“The Fine Art Experience”, Atrium Gallery, Whiteley’s, London
1996 Gallery Duncan Terrace, Islington London (Group show)
“The Motor Show” touring exhibition (Group show)
1995 Gallery Duncan Terrace, Islington London (Group show)
Sign up for our newsletter!
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- In 2012 an 84 year-old Roman Catholic nun and two male companions cut through three fences at the Y-12 nuclear weapons… »
- One of the highlights of the Chelsea opening night last week was Deborah Butterfield’s striking sculptures of horses,… »
- Several months ago I wandered into ClampArt on a Saturday afternoon and saw that the gallery was primarily filled with… »
- Satan Ceramics at Salon 94 When Michelle Grabner curated the Whitney Biennial a line was drawn, a declaration that there is… »
- My name is Tasha Lewis and I want to share with you the story of my global collaborative street art project Swarm The… »
- Christopher Le Brun at Friedman Benda Two painintgs by Christopher Le Brun photo from Friedman Benda Gallery Into each… »
- Another great art night in Chelsea (L-R) Joseph Gross with artist Ted Lawson The electric backdrop of art at Joseph… »
- A good crowd at David Benjamin Sherry opening in Danziger Gallery Artist David Benjamin Sherry David Benjamin Sherry… »
- Alexander Gray (in orange jacket) with the designer and models Vegan Grade Couture deserve Vegan Shoes With the FALL… »
- Why did New York City become one of the centers of the world banking system? It started with shipping. Before Wall Street… »