Signals, Colin McCallum’s exhibition of new paintings, refer to the subliminal and visual overload of our consumer society. The work is inspired by the collective experience of contemporary living.
City life is filled with an array of imagery, from airport and train station digital monitors to pixelated television and computer screens at home – supermarket shopping aisles and their myriad of packaging, lighting and random colour combinations.
This language is part of our daily life, but we seldom notice its impact or are able to appreciate it as more than a communication tool. Colin is fascinated by it and he takes elements from these aspects to create equivalent visual experiences. They are not simply representative but stimulating and intriguing. In one series of paintings, inspiration came from the aspirational idea of the perfect swimming pool. In his interpretation he presents us with a hypnotic grid of ripples or waves of light in a uniform balance, symmetrical to the edges, the symbol of an ideal that never exists.
The relationship between urban living and all its technology is a recurring theme and influence in his work. These moments are translated into forms and colours, as familiar as a computer screen or as haunting as a night lit office interior.
Colin McCallum’s paintings vibrate with bold, metallic, luminous paint with strong and contrasting colour palettes. Through his observations of man-made structures and objects he shows us an alternative reality, just below the surface of our experiences.
Opening Reception: 6.30 – 8.30 pm 24 May 2012
Exhibition: 25 May – 17 June 2012
Granada TV, Cooper’s Lybrand Deloitte and various private collections: Switzerland, New York,
London, Barcelona, Singapore, and Brussels.
1976-9 BA (Hons) Degree, Fine Art (Painting), Camberwell School of Art, London
1975-6 Art Foundation Course, Camberwell School of Art, London
London Arts Board Individual Artist’s Award
2011 AAF Singapore, Bicha Gallery
TIAF 2011 Toronto International Art Fair, Bicha Gallery
AAF London Battersea, Bicha Gallery
AAF Bristol, Bicha Gallery
AAF New York, Bicha Gallery
Art Chicago, Bicha Gallery
AAF Brussels, Bicha Gallery
AAF Milan, Bicha Gallery
2010 AAF Singapore, Bicha Gallery
AAF Amsterdam, Bicha Gallery
AAF London, Bicha Gallery
2009 Open Studios Freixas Building, L’Hospitalet, Barcelona
2008 Open Studios Freixas Building, L’Hospitalet, Barcelona
2007 Open Studios Freixas Building, L’Hospitalet, Barcelona
2006 Euro Star Cristal Palace Hotel, Barcelona (One-man exhibition)
2004 Tallers Oberts, organised by FAD, Cuitat Vella Barcelona
Creart Gallery, Barcelona
2003 Sala Gracia, Barcelona (One-man exhibition)
1999-2002 Represented by Si-Art. Art consultancy /internet gallery.
Leasing of large works to various corporate clients.
1998 “Vital Art”, London Arthouse, Atlantis Gallery, London
Art at Institute of Physics, Portland Place, London
1997 “The Motor Show” touring exhibition (Group show)
“The Fine Art Experience”, Atrium Gallery, Whiteley’s, London
1996 Gallery Duncan Terrace, Islington London (Group show)
“The Motor Show” touring exhibition (Group show)
1995 Gallery Duncan Terrace, Islington London (Group show)
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Danilo Perez Panama 500 The start of Summer brings a bounty of splendor: beachy days and starry nights, barbeques and… »
- Crank a Fish & See the Origins of Consciousness at ISE Cultural Foundation Spiritual fulfilment has often been… »
- Attendees at the MFA Photography Graduate Thesis show at The Sheila C. Johnson Design Center Gallery Commiserating over… »
- Eric Starosielski's studio Eric working on a new price in front of Angkor Wat, Late After Sunset, a back lit… »
- 21st Precinct art show Guests at the opening Over the weekend, the old 21st precinct in NYC hosted an art show with… »
- Art night at COOHAUS in Chelsea Perusing the cool art at COOHAUS Art lovers come out in the summer in Chelsea to cool… »
- Sarah Doherty Heinrichs Opening at New Century Artist Gallery An artful feast in Chelsea on Thursday Art Night Getting… »
- Image: Proposal for White and Indian Dead Monument Transpositions, Washington, D.C., 2005. Medium density fiberboard,… »
- Archeologists have found an area in Turkey which might have inspired the Garden of Eden story. Gobekli Tepe is a region… »
- Sam Trioli, S. (Installation View), courtesy of the artist and Farm Project Space + Gallery In this day and age it seems… »