Signals, Colin McCallum’s exhibition of new paintings, refer to the subliminal and visual overload of our consumer society. The work is inspired by the collective experience of contemporary living.
City life is filled with an array of imagery, from airport and train station digital monitors to pixelated television and computer screens at home – supermarket shopping aisles and their myriad of packaging, lighting and random colour combinations.
This language is part of our daily life, but we seldom notice its impact or are able to appreciate it as more than a communication tool. Colin is fascinated by it and he takes elements from these aspects to create equivalent visual experiences. They are not simply representative but stimulating and intriguing. In one series of paintings, inspiration came from the aspirational idea of the perfect swimming pool. In his interpretation he presents us with a hypnotic grid of ripples or waves of light in a uniform balance, symmetrical to the edges, the symbol of an ideal that never exists.
The relationship between urban living and all its technology is a recurring theme and influence in his work. These moments are translated into forms and colours, as familiar as a computer screen or as haunting as a night lit office interior.
Colin McCallum’s paintings vibrate with bold, metallic, luminous paint with strong and contrasting colour palettes. Through his observations of man-made structures and objects he shows us an alternative reality, just below the surface of our experiences.
Opening Reception: 6.30 – 8.30 pm 24 May 2012
Exhibition: 25 May – 17 June 2012
Granada TV, Cooper’s Lybrand Deloitte and various private collections: Switzerland, New York,
London, Barcelona, Singapore, and Brussels.
1976-9 BA (Hons) Degree, Fine Art (Painting), Camberwell School of Art, London
1975-6 Art Foundation Course, Camberwell School of Art, London
London Arts Board Individual Artist’s Award
2011 AAF Singapore, Bicha Gallery
TIAF 2011 Toronto International Art Fair, Bicha Gallery
AAF London Battersea, Bicha Gallery
AAF Bristol, Bicha Gallery
AAF New York, Bicha Gallery
Art Chicago, Bicha Gallery
AAF Brussels, Bicha Gallery
AAF Milan, Bicha Gallery
2010 AAF Singapore, Bicha Gallery
AAF Amsterdam, Bicha Gallery
AAF London, Bicha Gallery
2009 Open Studios Freixas Building, L’Hospitalet, Barcelona
2008 Open Studios Freixas Building, L’Hospitalet, Barcelona
2007 Open Studios Freixas Building, L’Hospitalet, Barcelona
2006 Euro Star Cristal Palace Hotel, Barcelona (One-man exhibition)
2004 Tallers Oberts, organised by FAD, Cuitat Vella Barcelona
Creart Gallery, Barcelona
2003 Sala Gracia, Barcelona (One-man exhibition)
1999-2002 Represented by Si-Art. Art consultancy /internet gallery.
Leasing of large works to various corporate clients.
1998 “Vital Art”, London Arthouse, Atlantis Gallery, London
Art at Institute of Physics, Portland Place, London
1997 “The Motor Show” touring exhibition (Group show)
“The Fine Art Experience”, Atrium Gallery, Whiteley’s, London
1996 Gallery Duncan Terrace, Islington London (Group show)
“The Motor Show” touring exhibition (Group show)
1995 Gallery Duncan Terrace, Islington London (Group show)
Sign up for our newsletter!
Ryan Piers Williams: Monsters and Landscapes
2015 OPEN CALL AT COOHAUS ART MORA GALLERY
- Guests enjoying the project 365 DEGREES OF INSTANT FILM at the opening of MONSTERS AND LANDSCAPES exhibition by Ryan Piers… »
- Open Call 2015 at Coohaus Art Mora Stop by the gallery to vote for your favorite piece A guest enjoying the work of… »
- Sculpture by Aaron Spangler Ellen Lesperance TAKE BACK VERMONT! struck me as a timely, relevant and even important type… »
- Sumi ink is made of a type of compressed soot derived from burning plant seed oils, which is then mixed with bone glue.… »
- Exterior of frosch & portmann on the LES frosch & portmann opening reception for Brad Nelson Back in January… »
- So many statements made at the show RESPOND in Smack Mellon Respond at Smack Mellon in DUMBO The Art goers come out… »
- Perusing the art of Erin Smith Amy Li (at center) with guests at the opening for Erin Smith Here is the unusual… »
- As the cognitive psychologist Jerome Bruner pointed out, before children can visually represent anything, they scribble.… »
- As he was being forced to leave the USA, in 1948, the composer Hanns Eisler read this statement to the press: “I leave… »
- Guest enjoying the work of Julia Sinelnikova Opening night for Magick Show at Galerie Protégé Folks who like to… »