Signals, Colin McCallum’s exhibition of new paintings, refer to the subliminal and visual overload of our consumer society. The work is inspired by the collective experience of contemporary living.
City life is filled with an array of imagery, from airport and train station digital monitors to pixelated television and computer screens at home – supermarket shopping aisles and their myriad of packaging, lighting and random colour combinations.
This language is part of our daily life, but we seldom notice its impact or are able to appreciate it as more than a communication tool. Colin is fascinated by it and he takes elements from these aspects to create equivalent visual experiences. They are not simply representative but stimulating and intriguing. In one series of paintings, inspiration came from the aspirational idea of the perfect swimming pool. In his interpretation he presents us with a hypnotic grid of ripples or waves of light in a uniform balance, symmetrical to the edges, the symbol of an ideal that never exists.
The relationship between urban living and all its technology is a recurring theme and influence in his work. These moments are translated into forms and colours, as familiar as a computer screen or as haunting as a night lit office interior.
Colin McCallum’s paintings vibrate with bold, metallic, luminous paint with strong and contrasting colour palettes. Through his observations of man-made structures and objects he shows us an alternative reality, just below the surface of our experiences.
Opening Reception: 6.30 – 8.30 pm 24 May 2012
Exhibition: 25 May – 17 June 2012
Granada TV, Cooper’s Lybrand Deloitte and various private collections: Switzerland, New York,
London, Barcelona, Singapore, and Brussels.
1976-9 BA (Hons) Degree, Fine Art (Painting), Camberwell School of Art, London
1975-6 Art Foundation Course, Camberwell School of Art, London
London Arts Board Individual Artist’s Award
2011 AAF Singapore, Bicha Gallery
TIAF 2011 Toronto International Art Fair, Bicha Gallery
AAF London Battersea, Bicha Gallery
AAF Bristol, Bicha Gallery
AAF New York, Bicha Gallery
Art Chicago, Bicha Gallery
AAF Brussels, Bicha Gallery
AAF Milan, Bicha Gallery
2010 AAF Singapore, Bicha Gallery
AAF Amsterdam, Bicha Gallery
AAF London, Bicha Gallery
2009 Open Studios Freixas Building, L’Hospitalet, Barcelona
2008 Open Studios Freixas Building, L’Hospitalet, Barcelona
2007 Open Studios Freixas Building, L’Hospitalet, Barcelona
2006 Euro Star Cristal Palace Hotel, Barcelona (One-man exhibition)
2004 Tallers Oberts, organised by FAD, Cuitat Vella Barcelona
Creart Gallery, Barcelona
2003 Sala Gracia, Barcelona (One-man exhibition)
1999-2002 Represented by Si-Art. Art consultancy /internet gallery.
Leasing of large works to various corporate clients.
1998 “Vital Art”, London Arthouse, Atlantis Gallery, London
Art at Institute of Physics, Portland Place, London
1997 “The Motor Show” touring exhibition (Group show)
“The Fine Art Experience”, Atrium Gallery, Whiteley’s, London
1996 Gallery Duncan Terrace, Islington London (Group show)
“The Motor Show” touring exhibition (Group show)
1995 Gallery Duncan Terrace, Islington London (Group show)
Sign up for our newsletter!
“Sir! Sir! ….Sorry.” By Ivaylo Gueorgiev at Launch F-18
- Art night in the LES can be a golden opportunity Artist Elise Adibi The last time I saw the work and reviewed Elise… »
- Art night on the LES in Krause Gallery Stephan Zirwes & Marco Guglielmino at Krause Gallery Installation shot of… »
- Public Display: Streetscapes by Rad Roubeni Opening Reception: Sunday, December 21, 2014 4 - 7 p.m Exhibition… »
- Bloody good photos at Site 109 Photography lovers at Site 109 A bird's eye view at Site 109 Close Up Detail on one… »
- Prime Set Who: Justin Stewart, Chandler Craig, Allison Barker and a collective of musicians, visual artists, and… »
- Festina Lente group show at Create and Collectduring Art Basel week 2014 Laura Cartagena and Tatiana Camacho WYNWOOD,… »
- On Friday November 14th, Arte Fuse visited Launch F18 for their final opening at its current location in Tribeca. The… »
- Press release provided by the Gallery Venus Over Manhattan and Sotheby’s S|2 present Cosa Nostra, the first major… »
- Graffiti at Fridge Art Fair Qinza and Zaks Art by Lady Millard Fridge Art Fair was pleased to offer exhibitors and… »
- To experience Eliane Elias in concert is to understand the notion of temporary bliss. With a career spanning forty… »