Despite the recent implosion of art fairs during events like Basel Miami and New York’s Armory Show Week, the British organization FRIEZE has mounted one of the most expensive and well orchestrated art fairs New Yorkers have ever seen. With scores of Europe and America’s best galleries participating, this fair has stirred much controversy and speculation. Your reporter begins his tour with the ferry trip from Midtown to Randall’s Island and jaunts through the plethora of booths to bring viewers a few highlights of this debut art event. Includes glimpses of works by Anselm Reyle, Jim Lambie, Rirkrit Tiravanija, Ales Katz and others.
Video and words by: James Kalm
A strong American and European contingent of galleries is joined by those from the rest of the world. Galleries that are regular exhibitors at Frieze Art Fair London are accompanied by those new to Frieze, in particular the young galleries included in Frame, a section dedicated to those established less than six years ago. The New York fair introduces Focus, a section for galleries opened in or after 2001 showing a presentation of up to three gallery artists.
For those looking to make new discoveries Frame is selected on the basis of a proposed solo presentation. Frame allows visitors and collectors to see work by artists who have not previously benefitted from an international platform to show their work. The Frame galleries’ selection has been advised by curators Cecilia Alemani and Rodrigo Moura.
Frieze New York will also benefit from a curatorial programme, Frieze Projects and Frieze Talks both of which will be curated by Cecilia Alemani and produced under the auspices of the non-profit arm, Frieze Art Inc.
Frieze New York will take a similar approach to the London fair, which brings an international focus to London every year. Designed by New York-based SO-IL Architects, Frieze New York will be housed in a bespoke structure and located in a unique setting overlooking the East River.
Co-directors Amanda Sharp and Matthew Slotover commented, ‘We are delighted by the strength and depth of the Frieze New York gallery list. The number and quality of applications to our first American fair matched our ambition in ensuring this was a leading international fair from the beginning. New York promises to show the most interesting contemporary art being produced right now. We’re looking forward to an exciting year ahead celebrating the 10th anniversary of Frieze Art Fair, London, and the launches of both Frieze New York and Frieze Masters.’
Shayna McClelland Black Frame framenoir.com tel: + 1 212 226 2196 email@example.com
Belinda Bowring frieze.com tel: +44 (0)20 3372 6135 firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Space Between a Group Exhibition Curated by Diana Buckley at Paul Kolker Collection. November 13-16, 2014 Opening Reception Thursday, November 13 from 6-8 PM
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
- Henry Cole (drums), Miguel Zenon (alto sax), Luis Perdomo (piano), Hans Glawischnig (bass)Photo credit: Braithwaite &… »
- Birthday, DETAIL, mixed media sculpture, 18” x 36” x 9”, 2004 (solid industrial grade velvet cement, steel… »
- The man in black Johnny Cash Wall to wall attendees at HASTED KRAEUTLER Portraits have come a long way. Painting your… »
- Mulberry Street where art and fashion meet at Something in Mind The photography of Olya Turcihin at SIM Close up of… »
- The work of Tom Martin for his show (Filthy) Lucre O Come All Ye Faithful to Art Night in Chelsea De Buck Gallery… »
- Guess who was really born on December 25th? That’s right, baby Mithras. He was a sun god in the Roman Empire who liked… »
- One of the must-see shows, as this year draws to an end, is a sampling of work by Peter Blume at ACA Galleries. This show… »
- Artist Takashi Murakami with his fans Gagosian Gallery is representing the new paintings and sculptures of the iconic… »
- The eBay private dinner at Scarpetta on Nov 7th photo from Getty Artist Mario Wagner at the #ArtforAll installation in… »
- C24 Gallery knows how to throw an opening! I was enticed to enter after seeing several ornate chaquetillas (the little… »