Bayor is a West Coast installation artist who studied philosophy and religion at Harvard. Her academic interests, including time spent studying under renowned Oxford philosopher Derek Parfit, inform her work. The pieces in this exhibition explore, as she puts it, “A descent into the psyche and the materialization of powerful, disembodied, abstracted emotional forms.”
Bayor uses raw, natural materials such as found wood, wool, and coarse fiber. For instance, in the piece Narcissus the artist wraps tree branches with white wool, except for strange, empty, circular areas. Plant and animal life are merged, while contrasting the purity of the wool with the grittiness of the wood. The artist severely limits the alteration to the materials and thereby maximizes their impact. The result is a group of surreal and gripping biomorphically-charged pieces.
The exhibition will be on view from April 24th through May 12th, 2012. There will be an opening reception for the artist on Thursday evening, May 3rd from 6-8pm. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 11am – 6pm.
Sign up for our newsletter!
“Sir! Sir! ….Sorry.” By Ivaylo Gueorgiev at Launch F-18
- And it was a buzzing night on all levels I’d already had my share of overly-saturated experiences on Friday before I… »
- Breaking out of frame at NYSRP (L-R) Michael Geiger, Danielle Colon, William Powhida, Alan Lupiani, Tessa Binder The… »
- At Radiator Gallery in Long Island City Performance piece at the freight elevator Last week I was invited by a friend… »
- AF: Congratulations on your show Rad Roubeni. Can you please tell Arte Fuse about your background in photography and how… »
- Art night in the LES can be a golden opportunity Artist Elise Adibi The last time I saw the work and reviewed Elise… »
- Art night on the LES in Krause Gallery Stephan Zirwes & Marco Guglielmino at Krause Gallery Installation shot of… »
- Public Display: Streetscapes by Rad Roubeni Opening Reception: Sunday, December 21, 2014 4 - 7 p.m Exhibition… »
- Bloody good photos at Site 109 Photography lovers at Site 109 A bird's eye view at Site 109 Close Up Detail on one… »
- Prime Set Who: Justin Stewart, Chandler Craig, Allison Barker and a collective of musicians, visual artists, and… »
- Festina Lente group show at Create and Collectduring Art Basel week 2014 Laura Cartagena and Tatiana Camacho WYNWOOD,… »