Bayor is a West Coast installation artist who studied philosophy and religion at Harvard. Her academic interests, including time spent studying under renowned Oxford philosopher Derek Parfit, inform her work. The pieces in this exhibition explore, as she puts it, “A descent into the psyche and the materialization of powerful, disembodied, abstracted emotional forms.”
Bayor uses raw, natural materials such as found wood, wool, and coarse fiber. For instance, in the piece Narcissus the artist wraps tree branches with white wool, except for strange, empty, circular areas. Plant and animal life are merged, while contrasting the purity of the wool with the grittiness of the wood. The artist severely limits the alteration to the materials and thereby maximizes their impact. The result is a group of surreal and gripping biomorphically-charged pieces.
The exhibition will be on view from April 24th through May 12th, 2012. There will be an opening reception for the artist on Thursday evening, May 3rd from 6-8pm. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 11am – 6pm.
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Space Between a Group Exhibition Curated by Diana Buckley at Paul Kolker Collection. November 13-16, 2014 Opening Reception Thursday, November 13 from 6-8 PM
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
- Fernando Mendoza Bravo November 2011. “The hour of the Wolf is the hour between night and dawn, when most people… »
- The art set at Driscoll Babcock Judith Lauand at Driscoll Babcock Everything old is new again. The cyclical nature of… »
- Art night in Chelsea at Yancey Richardson Thursday Art Night in Chelsea at Yancey Richardson Artist Bryan Graf … »
- 16.0, Brent Birnbaum, Paint On Treadmill, 57 x 56 x 124 in New York, New York, October 22, 2014—Diana Buckley, guest… »
- Erik Jones working on a huge 5 ft x 12 ft painting A work by Hueman A work by Alex Yanes Hueman with one of her… »
- Between the art of Thomas Scheibitz Opening for Thomas Scheibitz at Tanya Bonakdar Cheers to art on Thursday in… »
- On October 29th Mark Schubin will give a free presentation, as part of National Opera Week, at Neil Scherer’s Going… »
- Some words from Linda Yablonsky. During her life this person has written only one novel but she’s among the most… »
- As Director Richard P. Townsend explained during the press preview, MOBIA is following up its Back to Eden show (reviewed… »
- Egg-before conception Breaking the mold of the sort of artworks shown at Dacia gallery, Ted Barr's "Cycle of Life" show… »