Bayor is a West Coast installation artist who studied philosophy and religion at Harvard. Her academic interests, including time spent studying under renowned Oxford philosopher Derek Parfit, inform her work. The pieces in this exhibition explore, as she puts it, “A descent into the psyche and the materialization of powerful, disembodied, abstracted emotional forms.”
Bayor uses raw, natural materials such as found wood, wool, and coarse fiber. For instance, in the piece Narcissus the artist wraps tree branches with white wool, except for strange, empty, circular areas. Plant and animal life are merged, while contrasting the purity of the wool with the grittiness of the wood. The artist severely limits the alteration to the materials and thereby maximizes their impact. The result is a group of surreal and gripping biomorphically-charged pieces.
The exhibition will be on view from April 24th through May 12th, 2012. There will be an opening reception for the artist on Thursday evening, May 3rd from 6-8pm. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 11am – 6pm.
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Madness of Art — Season 1, Episode 1: Tony
- Imagine listening to the first phone conversation Maayan Strauss might have had with the Kohler Company to ask for the… »
- Dogon, Granary Doors, Mali, wood with iron staples, 21” x 16” Kadir Nelson, Barber Shop, oil on canvas, 2014, 50"x… »
- The interior of Marc Straus Gallery with works by John Newsom John Newsom makes ART that can pounce and… »
- Opening night at Arlene's Grocery (L-R) Art by Danielle Mastrion, Whisbe and Michael Serafino Artist Cojo next to his… »
- In November 2013 Scooter LaForge and Johnny Rozsa set out on a cross-country car ride with Rozsa’s three dogs and a first… »
- Elise P. Church, T-Cells, paper, photographs, ink, graphite21 x 14 in., 2014, image courtesy of Molly Krom Gallery Elise… »
- You may have seen some of Bruce Davenport Jr.’s work at the recent Outsider Art Fair in New York City. For this current show… »
- Katya Grokhovsky, Disturbance, 2015, mixed media, found objects, photo: Peter Gynd Katya Grokhovsky, Lips, 2014, mixed… »
- Clio art fair 2015 CLIO ART FAIR returns for its 2nd year in NYC March 5th – 8th at 508-526 West 26th Street… »