Bayor is a West Coast installation artist who studied philosophy and religion at Harvard. Her academic interests, including time spent studying under renowned Oxford philosopher Derek Parfit, inform her work. The pieces in this exhibition explore, as she puts it, “A descent into the psyche and the materialization of powerful, disembodied, abstracted emotional forms.”
Bayor uses raw, natural materials such as found wood, wool, and coarse fiber. For instance, in the piece Narcissus the artist wraps tree branches with white wool, except for strange, empty, circular areas. Plant and animal life are merged, while contrasting the purity of the wool with the grittiness of the wood. The artist severely limits the alteration to the materials and thereby maximizes their impact. The result is a group of surreal and gripping biomorphically-charged pieces.
The exhibition will be on view from April 24th through May 12th, 2012. There will be an opening reception for the artist on Thursday evening, May 3rd from 6-8pm. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 11am – 6pm.
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Space Between a Group Exhibition Curated by Diana Buckley at Paul Kolker Collection. November 13-16, 2014 Opening Reception Thursday, November 13 from 6-8 PM
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
- Henry Cole (drums), Miguel Zenon (alto sax), Luis Perdomo (piano), Hans Glawischnig (bass)Photo credit: Braithwaite &… »
- Birthday, DETAIL, mixed media sculpture, 18” x 36” x 9”, 2004 (solid industrial grade velvet cement, steel… »
- The man in black Johnny Cash Wall to wall attendees at HASTED KRAEUTLER Portraits have come a long way. Painting your… »
- Mulberry Street where art and fashion meet at Something in Mind The photography of Olya Turcihin at SIM Close up of… »
- The work of Tom Martin for his show (Filthy) Lucre O Come All Ye Faithful to Art Night in Chelsea De Buck Gallery… »
- Guess who was really born on December 25th? That’s right, baby Mithras. He was a sun god in the Roman Empire who liked… »
- One of the must-see shows, as this year draws to an end, is a sampling of work by Peter Blume at ACA Galleries. This show… »
- Artist Takashi Murakami with his fans Gagosian Gallery is representing the new paintings and sculptures of the iconic… »
- The eBay private dinner at Scarpetta on Nov 7th photo from Getty Artist Mario Wagner at the #ArtforAll installation in… »
- C24 Gallery knows how to throw an opening! I was enticed to enter after seeing several ornate chaquetillas (the little… »