Bayor is a West Coast installation artist who studied philosophy and religion at Harvard. Her academic interests, including time spent studying under renowned Oxford philosopher Derek Parfit, inform her work. The pieces in this exhibition explore, as she puts it, “A descent into the psyche and the materialization of powerful, disembodied, abstracted emotional forms.”
Bayor uses raw, natural materials such as found wood, wool, and coarse fiber. For instance, in the piece Narcissus the artist wraps tree branches with white wool, except for strange, empty, circular areas. Plant and animal life are merged, while contrasting the purity of the wool with the grittiness of the wood. The artist severely limits the alteration to the materials and thereby maximizes their impact. The result is a group of surreal and gripping biomorphically-charged pieces.
The exhibition will be on view from April 24th through May 12th, 2012. There will be an opening reception for the artist on Thursday evening, May 3rd from 6-8pm. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 11am – 6pm.
Sign up for our newsletter!
Jason Woodside, Judith Charles Gallery, July 2014
- A new art installation at a popular West Village wine and dessert bar is catching the eye of many neighborhood residents.… »
- Select Group to Discover the Techniques of Figurative Art NEW YORK, NY July 21st, 2014 -- Renowned figurative painter… »
- Charles Burchfield, an amazing American artist from the past, once wrote: “An artist must paint not what he sees in… »
- Performance Art at Mixed Greens Gallery A Botero Piece at Sundaram Tagore Gallery for Chelsea Art Walk 2014 Last July… »
- Seeing summer group exhibitions in New York is like maintaining a steady exercise routine or going to family reunions -… »
- Ever Blossoming Life (Gold) A group of Japanese artists known as teamLab are currently presenting a compilation of… »
- Gina Minichino, Kiss, 2011 The Curator Gallery, in Chelsea, invites various folks to curate shows on a periodic basis. The… »
- Opening night for The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote at the Lodge Gallery Art by Sirikul Pattachote at The… »
- July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space… »
- Small works on paper from Alissa Blumenthal series Work-in-progress: Istomina's new video based on the footage from… »