Tuesday night was the Art Opening & Rodeo Featuring ***New Work*** by the infamous Cowboy Ray Kelly – sculptor, art maverick, man about town and Lower East Side original. As a young art student he was Motherwell’s favorite bartender. As a young artist he was Rothko’s painting assistant for three years during the building of the Rothko Chapel in Houston. As a young man he founded the Rivington School and No Se No social club/art gallery on NY’s Lower East Side where everyone from Debbie Harry to Keith Haring stopped in for the one dollar beers and when, in the 1980’s, he turned empty, needle infested, lots into welcoming sculpture gardens for all to enjoy. He is a living legend, one who helped transform our great city into the art center that it is, especially on the LES when no one but no one, except crazy, broke, artists wanted to be there. Stop by the Orchard Windows Gallery anytime through May 13th and experience a true cowboy’s creative vision right here in the Big Apple. This show was curated by Gregory de la Haba who did a fantastic job.
Sign up for our newsletter!
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
COJO, Castle Fitzjohns Gallery, September 2014
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- Birgit Brenner, Sleep, 2014,Wood, paint, paper, 47.2 x 24 inchesimage courtesy of Marc Straus gallery Birgit Brenner,… »
- Over the canyon, behind the pain. That's where we'll find out way home by Jay Riggio hand cut collage on vellum paper 11 x 14… »
- In Halley Zien’s current work at BravinLee programs, she uses a combination of collage and painting to create small… »
- Rima Fujita, Avidya, 68x58 inches; mixed media on canvas Michela Martello, me on, work in progress for the installation,… »
- Karen Fitzgerald, The Shy Moon, 2013 Karen Fitzgerald, Idir Eathara, 2012 The NYOC Gallery is pleased to present… »
- The great Vito Acconci let us into his studio in Dumbo (Brooklyn) for a conversation. During which he went over his history… »
- Garis & Hahn Gallery on the Bowery Artist Julien Levy taking a moment to check phone messages of… »
- Post To My Wall is FUN Downtown Casual Cool for reception of Alex Kelleher Alex Kelleher at his reception in Sohotel… »
- What if Abbie Hoffman had been cryogenically frozen after his suicide in 1989 and was then brought back to life again… »
- Federico Infante, Toward The Sun, 2014, Acrylic on Canvas, 47¾" x 99" The Bertrand Delacroix Gallery in Chelsea is… »