Tuesday night was the Art Opening & Rodeo Featuring ***New Work*** by the infamous Cowboy Ray Kelly – sculptor, art maverick, man about town and Lower East Side original. As a young art student he was Motherwell’s favorite bartender. As a young artist he was Rothko’s painting assistant for three years during the building of the Rothko Chapel in Houston. As a young man he founded the Rivington School and No Se No social club/art gallery on NY’s Lower East Side where everyone from Debbie Harry to Keith Haring stopped in for the one dollar beers and when, in the 1980’s, he turned empty, needle infested, lots into welcoming sculpture gardens for all to enjoy. He is a living legend, one who helped transform our great city into the art center that it is, especially on the LES when no one but no one, except crazy, broke, artists wanted to be there. Stop by the Orchard Windows Gallery anytime through May 13th and experience a true cowboy’s creative vision right here in the Big Apple. This show was curated by Gregory de la Haba who did a fantastic job.
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Madness of Art — Season 1, Episode 1: Tony
- Installation view of Alison Rossiter’s “Paper Wait,” Yossi Milo Gallery© Thomas Seely, Courtesy Yossi Milo Gallery, New… »
- More Bradley Hart work at Anna Zorina Gallery Close Up on a sculpture by Bradley Hart Back in March 2013, I had my… »
- Art Lovers at Kim Foster Gallery Artist Kathleen Mulcahy Art by Ron Desmett Thursday Art Night at Kim Foster… »
- Perusing the art at Metro Pictures Check Mate on Art Night in Chelsea The art crowd at Metro Pictures in Chelsea … »
- The origin of the current show at Mayson Pop-Up Space, at 98 Orchard Street (the basement space at Castle Fitzjohns),… »
- Imagine listening to the first phone conversation Maayan Strauss might have had with the Kohler Company to ask for the… »
- Dogon, Granary Doors, Mali, wood with iron staples, 21” x 16” Kadir Nelson, Barber Shop, oil on canvas, 2014, 50"x… »
- The interior of Marc Straus Gallery with works by John Newsom John Newsom makes ART that can pounce and… »
- Opening night at Arlene's Grocery (L-R) Art by Danielle Mastrion, Whisbe and Michael Serafino Artist Cojo next to his… »