“Inside Out,” a retrospective of Deborah Buck’s provocative, abstract paintings will be on view in the Gilette Gallery at the Garrison Art Center in Garrison, NY, April 7 – May 6, 2012. In addition, “What’s Inside?,” an exhibition of Buck’s recent acrylic works on paper, is on view at Julie Saul Gallery (New York City) through May 5, 2012. An illustrated catalog has been published in conjunction with both shows and includes an essay by Lilly Wei. Copies are available upon request.
“Inside Out” will include a selection of 16 to 18 Deborah Buck’s works on paper and large-scale oils on canvas. These colorful, expressive compositions, which span a period of twenty years, show the range of Buck’s skill and sensibilities. “Piano Legs” (1991) and “Up in the Air” (2004) are examples of her masterful handling of paint and demonstrate her wit, humor and curiosity. Although the imagery is abstract, the pictures invite interpretation or suggest a narrative.
Secret worlds and fairy tales such as Wonderland are a consistent point of departure for Buck’s practice. The centralized forms, anthropomorphic wrapped objects, which are the subject of Buck’s paintings are both inviting and slightly sinister. Her vocabulary of form is distinctive and grows out of organic surrealism.
“The work is smart in every sense of the word,” says Bill Burback, curator of Buck’s show and President of the Board of Directors at Garrison Art Center. “What impresses me is the boldness, strength and originality of her imagery along with the consistency of her vision. She loves paint and has a resourceful – accomplished hand and an impressive command of the medium. Buck’s work offers many rewards. They all make you want to know her.” “Inside Out” continues through May 6, with a reception for the artists on April 14, from 6 to 8pm and an artist talk by Deborah Buck on Sunday, April 29 at 2:00pm.
About Deborah Buck
Now living and working in New York City, Buck is originally from Baltimore and credits her early artistic and intellectual development to her encounters with the legendary Abstract Expressionist painter Clyfford Still. Impressed by her paintings, Still arranged for Buck to go to The Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture in Skowhegan, Maine at the age of 18. Buck began showing her work professionally in the 1980’s and her work has been exhibited at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, The Baltimore Museum of Art, Grey Art Gallery and The Bronx Museum, among other galleries and museums. She is currently a faculty member at the School of Visual Arts in the MFA Design Program in New York and also sits on the Board of Trustees at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn.
For more information about Deborah Buck and her paintings, please visit http://deborahbuck.com/
Deborah Buck 2012 Exhibition Schedule:
Julie Saul Gallery
535 W. 22nd Street
New York, New York 10011
March 22 to May 5, 2012
“Inside Out” Deborah Buck”
The Garrison Art Center
23 Garrison’s Landing
Garrison, New York 10524
April 7 to May 6, 2012
- Follow on Tumblr - Follow artefuse
FEATURED OPENING: FEDERICO CATTANEO
Artist Kim Kalinoski
Claes Oldenburg | The Street
Claes Oldenburg | The Store
TateShots: Allen Jones on Lichtenstein
1913 | “Contrast of Forms” by Fernand Léger
Arte Fuse Recent Posts
- The Other World III 40" x 60" The Other World I 60" x 43" Interview With Quiet Lunch In her first NYC solo… »
- Ilona Szwarc's "American Girls" June 5th- July 3rd Opening reception: June 5th, 6-8pm Ilona Szwarc's "American… »
- DiGiovanni, ink on gelatin silver print, 16 x 14 inches, 2012 Kim Kalinoski received her Bachelor or Fine Arts degree from… »
- Battle Armor by Karen Heagle Artist Karen Heagle Heraldry and the days of valiant knights are now legendary. Everyone… »
- The art is BOLD yet alluring by Laura Bochet Guests glamour it up at Something in Mind Artist Laura… »
- Jessica Segall, The Thirsty Person, Who Having Found a Spring, Rushes to Drink, Does Not Contemplate Its Beauty (2011), video… »
- Meg Cranston recipient of the Artadia NADA award Hudson of Feature Inc talking to a client at NADA Art Fair Debo… »
- The 81 Foot Balloon Dog by Paul McCarthy greets all at Frieze Art Fair NY 2013 Jack Early at McCaffrey Fine Art Booth … »
- Thomas Witte: "Piazza San Marco" 2012 Hand cut archival paper at Davidson Contemporary Cameron Gray at Mike Weiss… »
- The booth for Galerie Dix9 (R) Bruno Hadjadj Director of cutlog Approximately 45 galleries and curators presented… »