Peter was fascinated with narrative ever since he was a small child in his native Brooklyn neighborhood of Gerritsen Beach. When he was older he studied photography, creative writing, and screenwriting at The New School.
Because of his love of story Peter’s work in photography is mostly documentary in nature. Peter prefers to focus in on moments and having them speak for themselves.
About End Of The Universe Peter says: “I started thinking about this project way back in 2005 when I lived on Beach 90th for several months. Back then I was on my last dime, and living with a relative.
It was in the winter and the entire neighborhood and with lack of activity in the streets, and the boarded up storefronts the whole place felt haunted. In my diaries I wrote “There is a spirituality here, probably because there is no where else to go but into the ocean. It’s almost as if this place is the end of the universe.”
Above all though I was interested in the fact there was real surfing here in New York City. I lived within the five boroughs for most of my life and I never even saw a surfboard in person until I lived in Rockaway.
Five years later in 2010 I started this project when again I found myself with nowhere else to go. It was a sunny day at the end of the winter. The waves were up and there were surfers in the water. I took some shots. When I got home and went through the day’s work I realized I had something, and I kept going back whenever I could.”
- Follow on Tumblr - Follow artefuse
FEATURED OPENING: FEDERICO CATTANEO
Artist Kim Kalinoski
Claes Oldenburg | The Street
Claes Oldenburg | The Store
TateShots: Allen Jones on Lichtenstein
1913 | “Contrast of Forms” by Fernand Léger
Arte Fuse Recent Posts
- Front of Site 109 where Jack Geary Contemporary presents Federico Cattaneo On to the more glamorous side of the LES from… »
- Even the Dragon gets into the Street Vibe via skateboard The fine china collection by Sheryo x the Yok at Krause… »
- Venus photo by Olya Turcihin Alright, I know what you’re thinking. AF has gone to the dogs indeed! What are we drinking… »
- UNIQUE May 30 – July 12, 2013 at Von Lintel Gallery Von Lintel Gallery is pleased to present UNIQUE, a group show of… »
- The Other World III 40" x 60" The Other World I 60" x 43" Interview With Quiet Lunch In her first NYC solo… »
- Ilona Szwarc's "American Girls" June 5th- July 3rd Opening reception: June 5th, 6-8pm Ilona Szwarc's "American… »
- DiGiovanni, ink on gelatin silver print, 16 x 14 inches, 2012 Kim Kalinoski received her Bachelor or Fine Arts degree from… »
- Battle Armor by Karen Heagle Artist Karen Heagle Heraldry and the days of valiant knights are now legendary. Everyone… »
- The art is BOLD yet alluring by Laura Bochet Guests glamour it up at Something in Mind Artist Laura… »
- Jessica Segall, The Thirsty Person, Who Having Found a Spring, Rushes to Drink, Does Not Contemplate Its Beauty (2011), video… »