Greenpoint Gallery is pleased to present Colleen Blackard: “Fading Memories; Emerging Spirit”, a poignant exhibition of ballpoint pen and mixed media drawings that explores the contrasting realities of Alzheimer’s Disease. Colleen shows that while memory deteriorates, the human spirit emerges, unfettered by social constraints.
This subject is intimately personal to the artist, having lost two grandparents, one great-grandmother, and others to Alzheimer’s. Informed by these experiences, Colleen includes ballpoint pen and circular lines in each drawing that in time, almost unnoticeably, will slowly bleed together, blurring the distinctions of light and dark just as Alzheimer’s blurs the distinctions of reality.
In keeping with Colleen’s vision, the show has a hopeful tone. She believes in a time when memories will remain and Alzheimer’s will be forgotten. To this end, she will donate a portion of sales to the Alzheimer’s Association of New York City to research the cure.
Colleen Blackard is originally from Austin, TX, and currently lives and works in Brooklyn. Colleen received a BA from Hampshire College, MA. Colleen’s first solo exhibition “For The Universe” opened in 2009 at Hampshire College Gallery, and she has been included in exhibitions at Rush Arts Gallery, Dino Eli Gallery, and Contrast at 320 Studios. This will be the artist’s first solo exhibition with the Greenpoint Gallery.
- Follow on Tumblr - Follow artefuse
FEATURED OPENING: FEDERICO CATTANEO
Artist Kim Kalinoski
Claes Oldenburg | The Street
Claes Oldenburg | The Store
TateShots: Allen Jones on Lichtenstein
1913 | “Contrast of Forms” by Fernand Léger
Arte Fuse Recent Posts
- UNIQUE May 30 – July 12, 2013 at Von Lintel Gallery Von Lintel Gallery is pleased to present UNIQUE, a group show of… »
- The Other World III 40" x 60" The Other World I 60" x 43" Interview With Quiet Lunch In her first NYC solo… »
- Ilona Szwarc's "American Girls" June 5th- July 3rd Opening reception: June 5th, 6-8pm Ilona Szwarc's "American… »
- DiGiovanni, ink on gelatin silver print, 16 x 14 inches, 2012 Kim Kalinoski received her Bachelor or Fine Arts degree from… »
- Battle Armor by Karen Heagle Artist Karen Heagle Heraldry and the days of valiant knights are now legendary. Everyone… »
- The art is BOLD yet alluring by Laura Bochet Guests glamour it up at Something in Mind Artist Laura… »
- Jessica Segall, The Thirsty Person, Who Having Found a Spring, Rushes to Drink, Does Not Contemplate Its Beauty (2011), video… »
- Meg Cranston recipient of the Artadia NADA award Hudson of Feature Inc talking to a client at NADA Art Fair Debo… »
- The 81 Foot Balloon Dog by Paul McCarthy greets all at Frieze Art Fair NY 2013 Jack Early at McCaffrey Fine Art Booth … »
- Thomas Witte: "Piazza San Marco" 2012 Hand cut archival paper at Davidson Contemporary Cameron Gray at Mike Weiss… »