The Dino Eli Gallery is pleased to present Reflections of the Feminine Soul by artist Janet Cristenfeld. This moving exhibition of oils and watercolors depicts the many facets of a woman’s experience: from pain, mourning, solitude, and contemplation to expressions of sensuality and love to a more enlightened awareness of one’s spiritual nature. Through the use of simple lines, subtle shading, and unusual color, the paintings contain both a depth of feeling and an immediate presence. Some of the faces look away, involved in their own emotions, and some engage the viewer in a direct glance.
From her perspective as a woman, Cristenfeld paints imaginary female faces and forms to express states of being, but the strengths and vulnerabilities revealed are common to us all. “I believe art heals by touching us and helping us communicate, and is a means of expanding our consciousness,” says Cristenfeld. “Through art we bring our Inner Knowing into this world.”
As part of the opening reception, choreographer Suzanne Caesar will present an excerpt from a production she is currently creating, where she explores the journey of the feminine soul. Adapted specifically for the opening, we find we are not only spectators, but are drawn into the longing for connection to the source of feminine power in all its rawness, grace and beauty, mirroring the essence of the paintings on display.
JANET CRISTENFELD received a BA in painting and photography from Smith College, Massachusetts, and moved to New York City, where she currently lives and works. She has previously exhibited in solo and group shows, including the Parrish Museum in Southampton, NY, and received a Project Residencies Award from the Hillwood Art Museum, Brookville, NY, sponsored in part by the New York State Council on the Arts. In addition to her art career, Cristenfeld is a Spiritual Healer and has channeled a unique set of mystical symbols and phrases, called Souligraphy™, from which she is creating paintings, drawings, jewelry, and a book. www.janetcristenfeld.com
SUZANNE CAESAR, MA, choreographer and founder of Rhythm For Life™, has performed in such venues as the Dia Art Foundation, Dance Theater Workshop, the American Museum of Natural History and Sony Plaza, and has choreographed for special events and summer stock theater. From Irish dancing as a child, to dancing her way through two pregnancies, Suzanne has come full circle in her own journey as a dancer and choreographer. After her recent travels to Egypt and her studies in Ancient Egyptian Sacred Dance, Caesar’s work has taken her into the dance as a vehicle to express the glorious nature of the collective woman. www.rhythmforlife.info
Dino Eli Gallery
81 Hester Street, New York, NY 10002
Gallery Hours: Tuesday – Sunday, 11 AM to 6 PM
- Part 2 of The Public Secret curated by David Gibson at The Dino Eli Gallery
- The Public Secret curated by David Gibson at The Dino Eli Gallery
- The American Academy of Arts and Letters holds an award ceremony
- The Drawing Room at the Milavec Hakimi Gallery
- Opening: Orchard Windows Gallery presents Egon Zippel “The Devandalizer”
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Amorphic Form 1 (Wave), Iron Amorphic Form 3 (Claw), Bronze In the art world, to utilize the most expensive and… »
- Limones (after Ouka Leele), 2014 Barça 86, 2014 A project space in East Harlem is currently featuring a show by Wendy… »
- Rockaway! was envisioned by Patti Smith and MoMA PS1’s Director, Klaus Biesenbach, both Rockaway residents. Their… »
- A series of sketches and watercolor paintings by Hank Blaustein are currently on view in Chelsea. The exhibition, Drawn… »
- AF Editor in Chief Oscar Laluyan with Maureen Chung of gallery nine5 The News is that Street Art has invaded the… »
- Ross BonfantiSt. Sebastian, 2013Concrete, nails, toy parts12 x 20 x 12 in Opening Reception: July 16 from 6-9PM Ross… »
- (L-R) Laura Manning, Daniel Weintraub and SEK3 Last Friday night we headed to Succulent Studios for the closing party… »
- Curator David A. Willis Last week a group of thirteen artists alongside curator David Wills took over a storefront… »
- Lots of art denizens taking another look Drawn to the light of ART Thursday Art Night is HOT in Chelsea Welcome to… »
- A mural painting by Shie Moreno PORTRAIT of artist Shie Moreno Unexpectedly stepping foot into this happening haven—I… »