The Caelum Gallery presented its first exhibition of the Spring 2012 season, hosting works by celebrated artists, Eddie Rehm, Holly Adams & Natsuko Hattori. The exhibit brought together raw artistic expression & style. The artists revealed all new works creatively pooling together a very well rounded exhibit for the savviest of collectors to the ambitious art patrons starting their own collection or looking to partake in the exhibits experience.
Rehm brings brash street art into the tame indoors. Although the titles of two of the works include the word ‘belligerent’ the works are better characterized by the adjective ‘exuberant’. For all the tumultuous intensity of the graffiti-like marks, the artist maintains control principally though the use of symmetry. He also unifies his works by other means such as framing one painting with a black, paint-spattered drop cloth, and another by adding another layer of marks on industrial plastic. Rehm’s imagery is so hidden in a maze of marks that the viewer is unsure if he is seeing robotic figures or a depiction of pure energy.
“Soft” sculpture has been a genre for decades and it has gained momentum as the crossover of crafts and fine art has become accepted. Soft sculpture has an innate friendliness to it, as opposed to the more aggressive media of metal and stone. Hattori’s sculptures evoke clouds, beehives or other natural phenomena that hang in the air. Color is very difficult to control in sculpture, but the artist uses color persuasively and dramatically. The viewer cannot help wondering about the weight of the suspended sculpture. The stuffed fabric they are made of speaks of lightness, but the mass of the sculptures seems to give it considerable weight, and the tension between the two adds to their appeal.
Adam’s work is about the ephemeral, things that are on the border between existing and not existing. In one painting, for instance, an angel is depicted with her back to the viewer, as though she is in the process of disappearing. Another work, although it appears to be a solid relief sculpture, is made of paper toweling, and the all-white work seems to dissolve as one looks at it. Other paintings come in and out of focus like the Northern Lights, lovely in their nuanced colors. A series of miniature paintings depict abstract waves, which, although frozen in one position, are intrinsically fleeting.
- Art Exhibition Belligerently Depicting the Morale of Life & Art for Arts Sake !
- Eddie Rehm brings his Belligerent Visceral Message to his Hometown Labor Day Weekend
- Davenport & Shapiro Fine Arts Opens Summer Season with Emerging Contemporary Art Show
- Eddie Rehm’s “Belligerence” takes over at Orchard Windows Gallery
- The Orchard Windows Gallery Presents, Eddie Rehm’s “Instant Gratification Abstract” . This Solo show will be on display from “January 10th to January 19th” , at 37 Orchard Street , Lower East Side , Manhattan. The Artists Reception will be “Friday , January 14th from 6pm to 10pm “
Sign up for our newsletter!
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- What might be the oldest symbol for the concept of ‘rebirth’? Well, if you go back to the cave paintings of about… »
- In 2012 an 84 year-old Roman Catholic nun and two male companions cut through three fences at the Y-12 nuclear weapons… »
- One of the highlights of the Chelsea opening night last week was Deborah Butterfield’s striking sculptures of horses,… »
- Several months ago I wandered into ClampArt on a Saturday afternoon and saw that the gallery was primarily filled with… »
- Satan Ceramics at Salon 94 When Michelle Grabner curated the Whitney Biennial a line was drawn, a declaration that there is… »
- My name is Tasha Lewis and I want to share with you the story of my global collaborative street art project Swarm The… »
- Christopher Le Brun at Friedman Benda Two painintgs by Christopher Le Brun photo from Friedman Benda Gallery Into each… »
- Another great art night in Chelsea (L-R) Joseph Gross with artist Ted Lawson The electric backdrop of art at Joseph… »
- A good crowd at David Benjamin Sherry opening in Danziger Gallery Artist David Benjamin Sherry David Benjamin Sherry… »
- Alexander Gray (in orange jacket) with the designer and models Vegan Grade Couture deserve Vegan Shoes With the FALL… »