Greenpoint Gallery is pleased to present Colleen Blackard: “Fading Memories; Emerging Spirit”, a poignant exhibition of ballpoint pen and mixed media drawings that explores the contrasting realities of Alzheimer’s Disease. Colleen shows that while memory deteriorates, the human spirit emerges, unfettered by social constraints.
This subject is intimately personal to the artist, having lost two grandparents, one great-grandmother, and others to Alzheimer’s. Informed by these experiences, Colleen includes ballpoint pen and circular lines in each drawing that in time, almost unnoticeably, will slowly bleed together, blurring the distinctions of light and dark just as Alzheimer’s blurs the distinctions of reality.
In keeping with Colleen’s vision, the show has a hopeful tone. She believes in a time when memories will remain and Alzheimer’s will be forgotten. To this end, she will donate a portion of sales to the Alzheimer’s Association of New York City to research the cure.
Colleen Blackard is originally from Austin, TX, and currently lives and works in Brooklyn. Colleen received a BA from Hampshire College, MA. Colleen’s first solo exhibition “For The Universe” opened in 2009 at Hampshire College Gallery, and she has been included in exhibitions at Rush Arts Gallery, Dino Eli Gallery, and Contrast at 320 Studios. This will be the artist’s first solo exhibition with the Greenpoint Gallery.
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Madness of Art — Season 1, Episode 1: Tony
- Imagine listening to the first phone conversation Maayan Strauss might have had with the Kohler Company to ask for the… »
- Dogon, Granary Doors, Mali, wood with iron staples, 21” x 16” Kadir Nelson, Barber Shop, oil on canvas, 2014, 50"x… »
- The interior of Marc Straus Gallery with works by John Newsom John Newsom makes ART that can pounce and… »
- Opening night at Arlene's Grocery (L-R) Art by Danielle Mastrion, Whisbe and Michael Serafino Artist Cojo next to his… »
- In November 2013 Scooter LaForge and Johnny Rozsa set out on a cross-country car ride with Rozsa’s three dogs and a first… »
- Elise P. Church, T-Cells, paper, photographs, ink, graphite21 x 14 in., 2014, image courtesy of Molly Krom Gallery Elise… »
- You may have seen some of Bruce Davenport Jr.’s work at the recent Outsider Art Fair in New York City. For this current show… »
- Katya Grokhovsky, Disturbance, 2015, mixed media, found objects, photo: Peter Gynd Katya Grokhovsky, Lips, 2014, mixed… »
- Clio art fair 2015 CLIO ART FAIR returns for its 2nd year in NYC March 5th – 8th at 508-526 West 26th Street… »