Greenpoint Gallery is pleased to present Colleen Blackard: “Fading Memories; Emerging Spirit”, a poignant exhibition of ballpoint pen and mixed media drawings that explores the contrasting realities of Alzheimer’s Disease. Colleen shows that while memory deteriorates, the human spirit emerges, unfettered by social constraints.
This subject is intimately personal to the artist, having lost two grandparents, one great-grandmother, and others to Alzheimer’s. Informed by these experiences, Colleen includes ballpoint pen and circular lines in each drawing that in time, almost unnoticeably, will slowly bleed together, blurring the distinctions of light and dark just as Alzheimer’s blurs the distinctions of reality.
In keeping with Colleen’s vision, the show has a hopeful tone. She believes in a time when memories will remain and Alzheimer’s will be forgotten. To this end, she will donate a portion of sales to the Alzheimer’s Association of New York City to research the cure.
Colleen Blackard is originally from Austin, TX, and currently lives and works in Brooklyn. Colleen received a BA from Hampshire College, MA. Colleen’s first solo exhibition “For The Universe” opened in 2009 at Hampshire College Gallery, and she has been included in exhibitions at Rush Arts Gallery, Dino Eli Gallery, and Contrast at 320 Studios. This will be the artist’s first solo exhibition with the Greenpoint Gallery.
- Check out: FOUNTAIN NEW YORK ANNOUNCES MASSIVE STREET ART INSTALLATION FOR 2011 FAIR Ten Revered Artists Collaborate on a 100-Foot Installation from March 4–March 6, 12pm–7pm
- Lemay Navigates the Lush Darkness
- Check out: Gerhard Richter “Lines Which Do Not Exist” at the Drawing Center is soho, closes in 14 days
- Check out: Gerhard Richter "Lines Which Do Not Exist" at the Drawing Center is soho, closes in 14 days
- Check out: Colleen Blackard’s solo show at American Art Gallery from Nov. 30 – Dec. 13th
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 21st Precinct art show Guests at the opening Over the weekend, the old 21st precinct in NYC hosted an art show with… »
- Art night at COOHAUS in Chelsea Perusing the cool art at COOHAUS Art lovers come out in the summer in Chelsea to cool… »
- Sarah Doherty Heinrichs Opening at New Century Artist Gallery An artful feast in Chelsea on Thursday Art Night Getting… »
- Image: Proposal for White and Indian Dead Monument Transpositions, Washington, D.C., 2005. Medium density fiberboard,… »
- Archeologists have found an area in Turkey which might have inspired the Garden of Eden story. Gobekli Tepe is a region… »
- Sam Trioli, S. (Installation View), courtesy of the artist and Farm Project Space + Gallery In this day and age it seems… »
- DMAC-Duo Multicultural Arts Center, East Village, NYC is seeking works for its group show/performance art installation: Art… »
- A few days ago I went to see a slide presentation by performance and video artist Dread Scott; the event was part of a… »
- Sarah C. Rutherford, “Ocellus", Stain, Acrylic and Wood Burning, 48in x 92in Guests at the opening checking out the… »
- Inside and Out is a group show curated by Suechung Koh at Elga Wimmer Hyun Contemporary. The connecting thread through the… »