Greenpoint Gallery is pleased to present Colleen Blackard: “Fading Memories; Emerging Spirit”, a poignant exhibition of ballpoint pen and mixed media drawings that explores the contrasting realities of Alzheimer’s Disease. Colleen shows that while memory deteriorates, the human spirit emerges, unfettered by social constraints.
This subject is intimately personal to the artist, having lost two grandparents, one great-grandmother, and others to Alzheimer’s. Informed by these experiences, Colleen includes ballpoint pen and circular lines in each drawing that in time, almost unnoticeably, will slowly bleed together, blurring the distinctions of light and dark just as Alzheimer’s blurs the distinctions of reality.
In keeping with Colleen’s vision, the show has a hopeful tone. She believes in a time when memories will remain and Alzheimer’s will be forgotten. To this end, she will donate a portion of sales to the Alzheimer’s Association of New York City to research the cure.
Colleen Blackard is originally from Austin, TX, and currently lives and works in Brooklyn. Colleen received a BA from Hampshire College, MA. Colleen’s first solo exhibition “For The Universe” opened in 2009 at Hampshire College Gallery, and she has been included in exhibitions at Rush Arts Gallery, Dino Eli Gallery, and Contrast at 320 Studios. This will be the artist’s first solo exhibition with the Greenpoint Gallery.
Sign up for our newsletter!
“Sir! Sir! ….Sorry.” By Ivaylo Gueorgiev at Launch F-18
- AF: Congratulations on your show Rad Roubeni. Can you please tell Arte Fuse about your background in photography and how… »
- Art night in the LES can be a golden opportunity Artist Elise Adibi The last time I saw the work and reviewed Elise… »
- Art night on the LES in Krause Gallery Stephan Zirwes & Marco Guglielmino at Krause Gallery Installation shot of… »
- Public Display: Streetscapes by Rad Roubeni Opening Reception: Sunday, December 21, 2014 4 - 7 p.m Exhibition… »
- Bloody good photos at Site 109 Photography lovers at Site 109 A bird's eye view at Site 109 Close Up Detail on one… »
- Prime Set Who: Justin Stewart, Chandler Craig, Allison Barker and a collective of musicians, visual artists, and… »
- Festina Lente group show at Create and Collectduring Art Basel week 2014 Laura Cartagena and Tatiana Camacho WYNWOOD,… »
- On Friday November 14th, Arte Fuse visited Launch F18 for their final opening at its current location in Tribeca. The… »
- Press release provided by the Gallery Venus Over Manhattan and Sotheby’s S|2 present Cosa Nostra, the first major… »
- Graffiti at Fridge Art Fair Qinza and Zaks Art by Lady Millard Fridge Art Fair was pleased to offer exhibitors and… »