Spring is the season for growth and renewal and with it, people come together in joyous celebration. Drunk off the familiar sensation of green grasses and blossoming flora, the world is alive and full of inspiration. A romantic essence fills the air with an intoxicating blend of rejuvenating aromas that tempts the body and plays with the mind. It is easy to lose oneself in the cacophony of reawakening, as senses are overloaded and forged into the memory. Through the enchanted feelings resides a notion of self-discovery that enables reckless abandonment, which leads to a multitude of outcomes. Mighty Tanaka is pleased to bring you our springtime show, The Birds and The Bees, featuring the fantastical artwork of Gigi Chen & H. Veng Smith.
The Birds and The Bees is a traditional metaphor for love, yet it also encompasses the sharp stinging pain of loss. It is a constant reminder of balance and desire as well as the shock of reality. As the warmth grows, so does the undergrowth and the tangle of vines and thorns, creating an ever-challenging terrain of hope and expectations to navigate.
Both Gigi Chen and H. Veng Smith utilize a host of inspiring techniques to create their individual work. Both artists create their work from oil paint, yet their achieved outcome differs greatly. As the days grow longer and the sun shines a little brighter, it’s the perfect setting for The Birds and The Bees to come out to play.
Featuring the artwork of Gigi Chen & H. Veng Smith
Friday, April 13th, 2012
6:00PM – 9:00PM
111 Front Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(Show closes May 4th, 2012)
Sign up for our newsletter!
- As the title of this show at Flowers implies, Lucy Jones openly defies expectations in regard to who is ‘supposed’ to… »
- Le Corbusier’s intentions were sincere. He saw poor folks living in dark, dirty, unhealthful and crowded slums and felt… »
- Christine Mackey – AC Institute The county you live in, in NY State, can mean a great deal to folks from other counties… »
- Regal Morbid Beauty as done by Joseph Grazi Art imitating Life or the other way around All artists are charged with the… »
- The work of Alois Kronschlaeger at Cristin Tierney The opening reception for Alois Kronschlaeger Experiencing the art… »
- The work of Bill Jensen at Cheim & Read Thursday Art Night in Chelsea at Cheim & Read In amazement at the work… »
- The city of Juárez Mexico has launched a public relations campaign. Heartened by the fact that the city went from the #1… »
- View of Repsychling Group Exhibition "Repsychling" curated by Vida Sabbaghi at the Macy Art Gallery (Columbia… »
- "I had returned from Spain looking for the ‘sexual revolution’ and instead found sexual commercialization that mostly… »
- The Allegory of Painting, Oil on Canvas, 30 x 40 inches each painting - Diptych “Interior Conversation” at Van Der… »