Spring is the season for growth and renewal and with it, people come together in joyous celebration. Drunk off the familiar sensation of green grasses and blossoming flora, the world is alive and full of inspiration. A romantic essence fills the air with an intoxicating blend of rejuvenating aromas that tempts the body and plays with the mind. It is easy to lose oneself in the cacophony of reawakening, as senses are overloaded and forged into the memory. Through the enchanted feelings resides a notion of self-discovery that enables reckless abandonment, which leads to a multitude of outcomes. Mighty Tanaka is pleased to bring you our springtime show, The Birds and The Bees, featuring the fantastical artwork of Gigi Chen & H. Veng Smith.
The Birds and The Bees is a traditional metaphor for love, yet it also encompasses the sharp stinging pain of loss. It is a constant reminder of balance and desire as well as the shock of reality. As the warmth grows, so does the undergrowth and the tangle of vines and thorns, creating an ever-challenging terrain of hope and expectations to navigate.
Both Gigi Chen and H. Veng Smith utilize a host of inspiring techniques to create their individual work. Both artists create their work from oil paint, yet their achieved outcome differs greatly. As the days grow longer and the sun shines a little brighter, it’s the perfect setting for The Birds and The Bees to come out to play.
Featuring the artwork of Gigi Chen & H. Veng Smith
Friday, April 13th, 2012
6:00PM – 9:00PM
111 Front Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(Show closes May 4th, 2012)
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Madness of Art — Season 1, Episode 1: Tony
- The origin of the current show at Mayson Pop-Up Space, at 98 Orchard Street (the basement space at Castle Fitzjohns),… »
- Imagine listening to the first phone conversation Maayan Strauss might have had with the Kohler Company to ask for the… »
- Dogon, Granary Doors, Mali, wood with iron staples, 21” x 16” Kadir Nelson, Barber Shop, oil on canvas, 2014, 50"x… »
- The interior of Marc Straus Gallery with works by John Newsom John Newsom makes ART that can pounce and… »
- Opening night at Arlene's Grocery (L-R) Art by Danielle Mastrion, Whisbe and Michael Serafino Artist Cojo next to his… »
- In November 2013 Scooter LaForge and Johnny Rozsa set out on a cross-country car ride with Rozsa’s three dogs and a first… »
- Elise P. Church, T-Cells, paper, photographs, ink, graphite21 x 14 in., 2014, image courtesy of Molly Krom Gallery Elise… »
- You may have seen some of Bruce Davenport Jr.’s work at the recent Outsider Art Fair in New York City. For this current show… »
- Katya Grokhovsky, Disturbance, 2015, mixed media, found objects, photo: Peter Gynd Katya Grokhovsky, Lips, 2014, mixed… »