Spring is the season for growth and renewal and with it, people come together in joyous celebration. Drunk off the familiar sensation of green grasses and blossoming flora, the world is alive and full of inspiration. A romantic essence fills the air with an intoxicating blend of rejuvenating aromas that tempts the body and plays with the mind. It is easy to lose oneself in the cacophony of reawakening, as senses are overloaded and forged into the memory. Through the enchanted feelings resides a notion of self-discovery that enables reckless abandonment, which leads to a multitude of outcomes. Mighty Tanaka is pleased to bring you our springtime show, The Birds and The Bees, featuring the fantastical artwork of Gigi Chen & H. Veng Smith.
The Birds and The Bees is a traditional metaphor for love, yet it also encompasses the sharp stinging pain of loss. It is a constant reminder of balance and desire as well as the shock of reality. As the warmth grows, so does the undergrowth and the tangle of vines and thorns, creating an ever-challenging terrain of hope and expectations to navigate.
Both Gigi Chen and H. Veng Smith utilize a host of inspiring techniques to create their individual work. Both artists create their work from oil paint, yet their achieved outcome differs greatly. As the days grow longer and the sun shines a little brighter, it’s the perfect setting for The Birds and The Bees to come out to play.
Featuring the artwork of Gigi Chen & H. Veng Smith
Friday, April 13th, 2012
6:00PM – 9:00PM
111 Front Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(Show closes May 4th, 2012)
- Pretty-Cute: New Drawings by Gigi Chen Curated by Frankie Velez
- Check out: FOUNTAIN NEW YORK ANNOUNCES MASSIVE STREET ART INSTALLATION FOR 2011 FAIR Ten Revered Artists Collaborate on a 100-Foot Installation from March 4–March 6, 12pm–7pm
- AF Recommends First Thursdays in DUMBO
- All’s Fair and Affordable in Art
- Amazing Industrial Grace
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 21st Precinct art show Guests at the opening Over the weekend, the old 21st precinct in NYC hosted an art show with… »
- Art night at COOHAUS in Chelsea Perusing the cool art at COOHAUS Art lovers come out in the summer in Chelsea to cool… »
- Sarah Doherty Heinrichs Opening at New Century Artist Gallery An artful feast in Chelsea on Thursday Art Night Getting… »
- Image: Proposal for White and Indian Dead Monument Transpositions, Washington, D.C., 2005. Medium density fiberboard,… »
- Archeologists have found an area in Turkey which might have inspired the Garden of Eden story. Gobekli Tepe is a region… »
- Sam Trioli, S. (Installation View), courtesy of the artist and Farm Project Space + Gallery In this day and age it seems… »
- DMAC-Duo Multicultural Arts Center, East Village, NYC is seeking works for its group show/performance art installation: Art… »
- A few days ago I went to see a slide presentation by performance and video artist Dread Scott; the event was part of a… »
- Sarah C. Rutherford, “Ocellus", Stain, Acrylic and Wood Burning, 48in x 92in Guests at the opening checking out the… »
- Inside and Out is a group show curated by Suechung Koh at Elga Wimmer Hyun Contemporary. The connecting thread through the… »