Spring is the season for growth and renewal and with it, people come together in joyous celebration. Drunk off the familiar sensation of green grasses and blossoming flora, the world is alive and full of inspiration. A romantic essence fills the air with an intoxicating blend of rejuvenating aromas that tempts the body and plays with the mind. It is easy to lose oneself in the cacophony of reawakening, as senses are overloaded and forged into the memory. Through the enchanted feelings resides a notion of self-discovery that enables reckless abandonment, which leads to a multitude of outcomes. Mighty Tanaka is pleased to bring you our springtime show, The Birds and The Bees, featuring the fantastical artwork of Gigi Chen & H. Veng Smith.
The Birds and The Bees is a traditional metaphor for love, yet it also encompasses the sharp stinging pain of loss. It is a constant reminder of balance and desire as well as the shock of reality. As the warmth grows, so does the undergrowth and the tangle of vines and thorns, creating an ever-challenging terrain of hope and expectations to navigate.
Both Gigi Chen and H. Veng Smith utilize a host of inspiring techniques to create their individual work. Both artists create their work from oil paint, yet their achieved outcome differs greatly. As the days grow longer and the sun shines a little brighter, it’s the perfect setting for The Birds and The Bees to come out to play.
Featuring the artwork of Gigi Chen & H. Veng Smith
Friday, April 13th, 2012
6:00PM – 9:00PM
111 Front Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(Show closes May 4th, 2012)
Sign up for our newsletter!
“Sir! Sir! ….Sorry.” By Ivaylo Gueorgiev at Launch F-18
- Art night in the LES can be a golden opportunity Artist Elise Adibi The last time I saw the work and reviewed Elise… »
- Art night on the LES in Krause Gallery Stephan Zirwes & Marco Guglielmino at Krause Gallery Installation shot of… »
- Public Display: Streetscapes by Rad Roubeni Opening Reception: Sunday, December 21, 2014 4 - 7 p.m Exhibition… »
- Bloody good photos at Site 109 Photography lovers at Site 109 A bird's eye view at Site 109 Close Up Detail on one… »
- Prime Set Who: Justin Stewart, Chandler Craig, Allison Barker and a collective of musicians, visual artists, and… »
- Festina Lente group show at Create and Collectduring Art Basel week 2014 Laura Cartagena and Tatiana Camacho WYNWOOD,… »
- On Friday November 14th, Arte Fuse visited Launch F18 for their final opening at its current location in Tribeca. The… »
- Press release provided by the Gallery Venus Over Manhattan and Sotheby’s S|2 present Cosa Nostra, the first major… »
- Graffiti at Fridge Art Fair Qinza and Zaks Art by Lady Millard Fridge Art Fair was pleased to offer exhibitors and… »
- To experience Eliane Elias in concert is to understand the notion of temporary bliss. With a career spanning forty… »