Spring is the season for growth and renewal and with it, people come together in joyous celebration. Drunk off the familiar sensation of green grasses and blossoming flora, the world is alive and full of inspiration. A romantic essence fills the air with an intoxicating blend of rejuvenating aromas that tempts the body and plays with the mind. It is easy to lose oneself in the cacophony of reawakening, as senses are overloaded and forged into the memory. Through the enchanted feelings resides a notion of self-discovery that enables reckless abandonment, which leads to a multitude of outcomes. Mighty Tanaka is pleased to bring you our springtime show, The Birds and The Bees, featuring the fantastical artwork of Gigi Chen & H. Veng Smith.
The Birds and The Bees is a traditional metaphor for love, yet it also encompasses the sharp stinging pain of loss. It is a constant reminder of balance and desire as well as the shock of reality. As the warmth grows, so does the undergrowth and the tangle of vines and thorns, creating an ever-challenging terrain of hope and expectations to navigate.
Both Gigi Chen and H. Veng Smith utilize a host of inspiring techniques to create their individual work. Both artists create their work from oil paint, yet their achieved outcome differs greatly. As the days grow longer and the sun shines a little brighter, it’s the perfect setting for The Birds and The Bees to come out to play.
Featuring the artwork of Gigi Chen & H. Veng Smith
Friday, April 13th, 2012
6:00PM – 9:00PM
111 Front Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(Show closes May 4th, 2012)
- Pretty-Cute: New Drawings by Gigi Chen Curated by Frankie Velez
- Check out: FOUNTAIN NEW YORK ANNOUNCES MASSIVE STREET ART INSTALLATION FOR 2011 FAIR Ten Revered Artists Collaborate on a 100-Foot Installation from March 4–March 6, 12pm–7pm
- AF Recommends First Thursdays in DUMBO
- All’s Fair and Affordable in Art
- Amazing Industrial Grace
Sign up for our newsletter!
Jason Woodside, Judith Charles Gallery, July 2014
- A new art installation at a popular West Village wine and dessert bar is catching the eye of many neighborhood residents.… »
- Select Group to Discover the Techniques of Figurative Art NEW YORK, NY July 21st, 2014 -- Renowned figurative painter… »
- Charles Burchfield, an amazing American artist from the past, once wrote: “An artist must paint not what he sees in… »
- Performance Art at Mixed Greens Gallery A Botero Piece at Sundaram Tagore Gallery for Chelsea Art Walk 2014 Last July… »
- Seeing summer group exhibitions in New York is like maintaining a steady exercise routine or going to family reunions -… »
- Ever Blossoming Life (Gold) A group of Japanese artists known as teamLab are currently presenting a compilation of… »
- Gina Minichino, Kiss, 2011 The Curator Gallery, in Chelsea, invites various folks to curate shows on a periodic basis. The… »
- Opening night for The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote at the Lodge Gallery Art by Sirikul Pattachote at The… »
- July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space… »
- Small works on paper from Alissa Blumenthal series Work-in-progress: Istomina's new video based on the footage from… »