James Kalm has the distinct pleasure of bringing viewers this brief tour of recent paintings by one of New York’s most enigmatic artists, Ron Gorchov. Though a member of the New York art world since the early fifties, it was in the late sixties that Gorchov devised his unique painting support, often referred to as a “saddle shape”. The use of this convex surface was a refutation of Clement Greenberg’s dogmatic idea that the picture plane must be flat, and rectangular. Along with his “saddle shape” canvases Gorchov has developed a “stack” format, a series of curved planes overlaying each other, that he paints sophisticated color studies on. This exhibition presents recent examples of Gorchov’s works that display his innovative comingling of painting and sculpture and the mastery of his means. Includes an appreciation by Jonathan Lasker.
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Attendees at the MFA Photography Graduate Thesis show at The Sheila C. Johnson Design Center Gallery Commiserating over… »
- Eric Starosielski's studio Eric working on a new price in front of Angkor Wat, Late After Sunset, a back lit… »
- 21st Precinct art show Guests at the opening Over the weekend, the old 21st precinct in NYC hosted an art show with… »
- Art night at COOHAUS in Chelsea Perusing the cool art at COOHAUS Art lovers come out in the summer in Chelsea to cool… »
- Sarah Doherty Heinrichs Opening at New Century Artist Gallery An artful feast in Chelsea on Thursday Art Night Getting… »
- Image: Proposal for White and Indian Dead Monument Transpositions, Washington, D.C., 2005. Medium density fiberboard,… »
- Archeologists have found an area in Turkey which might have inspired the Garden of Eden story. Gobekli Tepe is a region… »
- Sam Trioli, S. (Installation View), courtesy of the artist and Farm Project Space + Gallery In this day and age it seems… »
- DMAC-Duo Multicultural Arts Center, East Village, NYC is seeking works for its group show/performance art installation: Art… »
- A few days ago I went to see a slide presentation by performance and video artist Dread Scott; the event was part of a… »