[imagebrowser id=105] Peter V. Milo will be displaying part of his his project End Of The Universe, an extended photographic essay about Rockaway Beach and the burgeoning surf scene located there.
Peter was fascinated with narrative ever since he was a small child in his native Brooklyn neighborhood of Gerritsen Beach. When he was older he studied photography, creative writing, and screenwriting at The New School.
Because of his love of story Peter’s work in photography is mostly documentary in nature. Peter prefers to focus in on moments and having them speak for themselves.
About End Of The Universe Peter says: “I started thinking about this project way back in 2005 when I lived on Beach 90th for several months. Back then I was on my last dime, and living with a relative.
It was in the winter and the entire neighborhood and with lack of activity in the streets, and the boarded up storefronts the whole place felt haunted. In my diaries I wrote “There is a spirituality here, probably because there is no where else to go but into the ocean. It’s almost as if this place is the end of the universe.”
Above all though I was interested in the fact there was real surfing here in New York City. I lived within the five boroughs for most of my life and I never even saw a surfboard in person until I lived in Rockaway.
Five years later in 2010 I started this project when again I found myself with nowhere else to go. It was a sunny day at the end of the winter. The waves were up and there were surfers in the water. I took some shots. When I got home and went through the day’s work I realized I had something, and I kept going back whenever I could.”
Sign up for our newsletter!
“Sir! Sir! ….Sorry.” By Ivaylo Gueorgiev at Launch F-18
- AF: Congratulations on your show Rad Roubeni. Can you please tell Arte Fuse about your background in photography and how… »
- Art night in the LES can be a golden opportunity Artist Elise Adibi The last time I saw the work and reviewed Elise… »
- Art night on the LES in Krause Gallery Stephan Zirwes & Marco Guglielmino at Krause Gallery Installation shot of… »
- Public Display: Streetscapes by Rad Roubeni Opening Reception: Sunday, December 21, 2014 4 - 7 p.m Exhibition… »
- Bloody good photos at Site 109 Photography lovers at Site 109 A bird's eye view at Site 109 Close Up Detail on one… »
- Prime Set Who: Justin Stewart, Chandler Craig, Allison Barker and a collective of musicians, visual artists, and… »
- Festina Lente group show at Create and Collectduring Art Basel week 2014 Laura Cartagena and Tatiana Camacho WYNWOOD,… »
- On Friday November 14th, Arte Fuse visited Launch F18 for their final opening at its current location in Tribeca. The… »
- Press release provided by the Gallery Venus Over Manhattan and Sotheby’s S|2 present Cosa Nostra, the first major… »
- Graffiti at Fridge Art Fair Qinza and Zaks Art by Lady Millard Fridge Art Fair was pleased to offer exhibitors and… »