Warning: array_search() [function.array-search]: Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/content/90/6546190/html/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/nggfunctions.php on line 699
Warning: reset() [function.reset]: Passed variable is not an array or object in /home/content/90/6546190/html/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/nggfunctions.php on line 701
Warning: key() [function.key]: Passed variable is not an array or object in /home/content/90/6546190/html/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/nggfunctions.php on line 702
Warning: end() [function.end]: Passed variable is not an array or object in /home/content/90/6546190/html/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/nggfunctions.php on line 704
At the recent Pulse Miami 2011, abstract artist, Mark Schoening, was picked by New American Painting as an Pluse Week Highlight. His most recent works are compositions that push and pull space with the aid of tonal shifting ray beams and dot matrix fields. There is a real sense of conveying a layer of compression and expansion of time, space and place.
The noted works have the medium of acrylic, ink and carbon transfer are layered with resin allowing each mark to seemingly float in space which compels the viewer to visualize a single moment of creation, adaptation and transformation.
Per his artist’s statement below:
I do not have the luxury of escape. In this century, in this moment, few of us do. Information piles up: the advertisements, the mechanisms, the media, the people. I am attached to it, in the midst of it, a part of it. However, as a painter, I am also a witness and a reactionary. The paintings speak of information explosions, where an entire environment can be physically contained in a seamlessly presented two-dimensional world. It is a reaction to the age of technology we find ourselves living in. The way we look at, perceive and process ideas has changed…and because of that…because of what the viewer brings to the experience, these painting could not have been created in any other time. This is not so much a comment on myself as it is the viewer. They now have the ability to take in numerous ideas and aesthetic techniques all at once as a consequence of their everyday lives. What I am doing is letting the ideas fall in a frozen plane, allowing for further investigation.
Born in 1981 in Brainerd, Minnesota. He received his BFA in painting from the Massachusetts College of Art in Boston. Schoening’s work is in the collections of the DeCordova Museum in Lincoln, Massachusetts and Third Point Management in Manhattan. Additionally, his large-scale sculptures were recently selected by DJ/Producer Damian Lazarus for inclusion in his 2011 GET LOST tour.
His upcoming solo exhibition at the Blythe Projects gallery will be in January/February 2012.
For more information, please visit their site: http://blytheprojects.net/artists/mark-schoening/
Special thanks to Hillary Metz for introducing and sending materials about Mark’s work to Arte Fuse.
article by: Oscar A. Laluyan
- Follow on Tumblr - Follow artefuse
FEATURED OPENING: FEDERICO CATTANEO
James Turrell: “Second Meeting” | “Exclusive” | Art21
Artist Kim Kalinoski
Claes Oldenburg | The Street
Claes Oldenburg | The Store
TateShots: Allen Jones on Lichtenstein
Arte Fuse Recent Posts
- Front of Site 109 where Jack Geary Contemporary presents Federico Cattaneo On to the more glamorous side of the LES from… »
- Even the Dragon gets into the Street Vibe via skateboard The fine china collection by Sheryo x the Yok at Krause… »
- Venus photo by Olya Turcihin Alright, I know what you’re thinking. AF has gone to the dogs indeed! What are we drinking… »
- UNIQUE May 30 – July 12, 2013 at Von Lintel Gallery Von Lintel Gallery is pleased to present UNIQUE, a group show of… »
- The Other World III 40" x 60" The Other World I 60" x 43" Interview With Quiet Lunch In her first NYC solo… »
- Ilona Szwarc's "American Girls" June 5th- July 3rd Opening reception: June 5th, 6-8pm Ilona Szwarc's "American… »
- DiGiovanni, ink on gelatin silver print, 16 x 14 inches, 2012 Kim Kalinoski received her Bachelor or Fine Arts degree from… »
- Battle Armor by Karen Heagle Artist Karen Heagle Heraldry and the days of valiant knights are now legendary. Everyone… »
- The art is BOLD yet alluring by Laura Bochet Guests glamour it up at Something in Mind Artist Laura… »
- Jessica Segall, The Thirsty Person, Who Having Found a Spring, Rushes to Drink, Does Not Contemplate Its Beauty (2011), video… »