The exhibition features work that explores the complex interdependency between figuration and abstraction. Artists included in the exhibition are James Bills, Alec Dartley, Peter Dudek, Raymond Dumas, Douglas Goldberg, Sue Havens, Sara Klar, Michael Lee, Elisa Lendvay, Abraham McNally, Christopher Saunders, Zoe Pettijohn Schade, Christopher Schade.
If the current moment is about the multiplicity of experience created by the overlapping of technology and cultural traditions then the search for a synthesis within heterogeneous aesthetic forms seems to be an overriding impulse among artists today.
The artists we have chosen to participate in this exhibit all work in the rich territory between abstraction and representation. These labels and dichotomies have become reductive in that many artists do not feel bound by loyalty to pursue one to the exclusion of the other. Instead of opposite aesthetic poles, these artists work somewhere on the spectrum between the two.
In this ambiguous space, much can be discovered about when and how content is imbued; when shapes become animate, read or understood. Instead of abstraction as a tool of reduction or an emptying out of content, these artists explore the complicating qualities of association that accumulate around forms.
This space has been characterized by Will Wright, inventor of The Sims video games, as “Possibility Space,” while Willem de Kooning described this impulse as the desire “to make something I can never be sure of, and no one else can either. I will never know, and no one else will ever know.”
Zoe Pettijohn Schade
Sign up for our newsletter!
Ryan Piers Williams: Monsters and Landscapes
2015 OPEN CALL AT COOHAUS ART MORA GALLERY
- Thursday Art Night at Dillon Gallery The eyes have it in the work of Santiago Ydanez Artist Santiago Ydanez The… »
- The art crowd at Winston Wachter Gallery The image transformed in the work of Margeaux Walter Artist Margeaux… »
- Maria Constanza Cerullo Chief Curator at MACBA MUseum I AF: MACBA - Museum of Contemporary Art in Buenos Aires opened… »
- Guests enjoying the project 365 DEGREES OF INSTANT FILM at the opening of MONSTERS AND LANDSCAPES exhibition by Ryan Piers… »
- Open Call 2015 at Coohaus Art Mora Stop by the gallery to vote for your favorite piece A guest enjoying the work of… »
- Sculpture by Aaron Spangler Ellen Lesperance TAKE BACK VERMONT! struck me as a timely, relevant and even important type… »
- Sumi ink is made of a type of compressed soot derived from burning plant seed oils, which is then mixed with bone glue.… »
- Exterior of frosch & portmann on the LES frosch & portmann opening reception for Brad Nelson Back in January… »
- So many statements made at the show RESPOND in Smack Mellon Respond at Smack Mellon in DUMBO The Art goers come out… »
- Perusing the art of Erin Smith Amy Li (at center) with guests at the opening for Erin Smith Here is the unusual… »