The exhibition features work that explores the complex interdependency between figuration and abstraction. Artists included in the exhibition are James Bills, Alec Dartley, Peter Dudek, Raymond Dumas, Douglas Goldberg, Sue Havens, Sara Klar, Michael Lee, Elisa Lendvay, Abraham McNally, Christopher Saunders, Zoe Pettijohn Schade, Christopher Schade.
If the current moment is about the multiplicity of experience created by the overlapping of technology and cultural traditions then the search for a synthesis within heterogeneous aesthetic forms seems to be an overriding impulse among artists today.
The artists we have chosen to participate in this exhibit all work in the rich territory between abstraction and representation. These labels and dichotomies have become reductive in that many artists do not feel bound by loyalty to pursue one to the exclusion of the other. Instead of opposite aesthetic poles, these artists work somewhere on the spectrum between the two.
In this ambiguous space, much can be discovered about when and how content is imbued; when shapes become animate, read or understood. Instead of abstraction as a tool of reduction or an emptying out of content, these artists explore the complicating qualities of association that accumulate around forms.
This space has been characterized by Will Wright, inventor of The Sims video games, as “Possibility Space,” while Willem de Kooning described this impulse as the desire “to make something I can never be sure of, and no one else can either. I will never know, and no one else will ever know.”
Zoe Pettijohn Schade
Sign up for our newsletter!
Jason Woodside, Judith Charles Gallery, July 2014
- Opening night for The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote at the Lodge Gallery Art by Sirikul Pattachote at The… »
- July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space… »
- Small works on paper from Alissa Blumenthal series Work-in-progress: Istomina's new video based on the footage from… »
- Color Us Happy to be out on ART NIGHT Artist George Horner The borderline between East Side and West Side is… »
- Color Rules in the Art Shows of South Korea Mixing Art with the art crowd in South Korea * AF Editor Note: Deukyun… »
- Amorphic Form 1 (Wave), Iron Amorphic Form 3 (Claw), Bronze In the art world, to utilize the most expensive and… »
- Limones (after Ouka Leele), 2014 Barça 86, 2014 A project space in East Harlem is currently featuring a show by Wendy… »
- Rockaway! was envisioned by Patti Smith and MoMA PS1’s Director, Klaus Biesenbach, both Rockaway residents. Their… »
- A series of sketches and watercolor paintings by Hank Blaustein are currently on view in Chelsea. The exhibition, Drawn… »
- AF Editor in Chief Oscar Laluyan with Maureen Chung of gallery nine5 The News is that Street Art has invaded the… »