The exhibition features work that explores the complex interdependency between figuration and abstraction. Artists included in the exhibition are James Bills, Alec Dartley, Peter Dudek, Raymond Dumas, Douglas Goldberg, Sue Havens, Sara Klar, Michael Lee, Elisa Lendvay, Abraham McNally, Christopher Saunders, Zoe Pettijohn Schade, Christopher Schade.
If the current moment is about the multiplicity of experience created by the overlapping of technology and cultural traditions then the search for a synthesis within heterogeneous aesthetic forms seems to be an overriding impulse among artists today.
The artists we have chosen to participate in this exhibit all work in the rich territory between abstraction and representation. These labels and dichotomies have become reductive in that many artists do not feel bound by loyalty to pursue one to the exclusion of the other. Instead of opposite aesthetic poles, these artists work somewhere on the spectrum between the two.
In this ambiguous space, much can be discovered about when and how content is imbued; when shapes become animate, read or understood. Instead of abstraction as a tool of reduction or an emptying out of content, these artists explore the complicating qualities of association that accumulate around forms.
This space has been characterized by Will Wright, inventor of The Sims video games, as “Possibility Space,” while Willem de Kooning described this impulse as the desire “to make something I can never be sure of, and no one else can either. I will never know, and no one else will ever know.”
Zoe Pettijohn Schade
Sign up for our newsletter!
Jason Woodside, Judith Charles Gallery, July 2014
- A new art installation at a popular West Village wine and dessert bar is catching the eye of many neighborhood residents.… »
- Select Group to Discover the Techniques of Figurative Art NEW YORK, NY July 21st, 2014 -- Renowned figurative painter… »
- Charles Burchfield, an amazing American artist from the past, once wrote: “An artist must paint not what he sees in… »
- Performance Art at Mixed Greens Gallery A Botero Piece at Sundaram Tagore Gallery for Chelsea Art Walk 2014 Last July… »
- Seeing summer group exhibitions in New York is like maintaining a steady exercise routine or going to family reunions -… »
- Ever Blossoming Life (Gold) A group of Japanese artists known as teamLab are currently presenting a compilation of… »
- Gina Minichino, Kiss, 2011 The Curator Gallery, in Chelsea, invites various folks to curate shows on a periodic basis. The… »
- Opening night for The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote at the Lodge Gallery Art by Sirikul Pattachote at The… »
- July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space… »
- Small works on paper from Alissa Blumenthal series Work-in-progress: Istomina's new video based on the footage from… »