The exhibition features work that explores the complex interdependency between figuration and abstraction. Artists included in the exhibition are James Bills, Alec Dartley, Peter Dudek, Raymond Dumas, Douglas Goldberg, Sue Havens, Sara Klar, Michael Lee, Elisa Lendvay, Abraham McNally, Christopher Saunders, Zoe Pettijohn Schade, Christopher Schade.
If the current moment is about the multiplicity of experience created by the overlapping of technology and cultural traditions then the search for a synthesis within heterogeneous aesthetic forms seems to be an overriding impulse among artists today.
The artists we have chosen to participate in this exhibit all work in the rich territory between abstraction and representation. These labels and dichotomies have become reductive in that many artists do not feel bound by loyalty to pursue one to the exclusion of the other. Instead of opposite aesthetic poles, these artists work somewhere on the spectrum between the two.
In this ambiguous space, much can be discovered about when and how content is imbued; when shapes become animate, read or understood. Instead of abstraction as a tool of reduction or an emptying out of content, these artists explore the complicating qualities of association that accumulate around forms.
This space has been characterized by Will Wright, inventor of The Sims video games, as “Possibility Space,” while Willem de Kooning described this impulse as the desire “to make something I can never be sure of, and no one else can either. I will never know, and no one else will ever know.”
Zoe Pettijohn Schade
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 21st Precinct art show Guests at the opening Over the weekend, the old 21st precinct in NYC hosted an art show with… »
- Art night at COOHAUS in Chelsea Perusing the cool art at COOHAUS Art lovers come out in the summer in Chelsea to cool… »
- Sarah Doherty Heinrichs Opening at New Century Artist Gallery An artful feast in Chelsea on Thursday Art Night Getting… »
- Image: Proposal for White and Indian Dead Monument Transpositions, Washington, D.C., 2005. Medium density fiberboard,… »
- Archeologists have found an area in Turkey which might have inspired the Garden of Eden story. Gobekli Tepe is a region… »
- Sam Trioli, S. (Installation View), courtesy of the artist and Farm Project Space + Gallery In this day and age it seems… »
- DMAC-Duo Multicultural Arts Center, East Village, NYC is seeking works for its group show/performance art installation: Art… »
- A few days ago I went to see a slide presentation by performance and video artist Dread Scott; the event was part of a… »
- Sarah C. Rutherford, “Ocellus", Stain, Acrylic and Wood Burning, 48in x 92in Guests at the opening checking out the… »
- Inside and Out is a group show curated by Suechung Koh at Elga Wimmer Hyun Contemporary. The connecting thread through the… »