I consider space to be a material. The articulation of space has come to take precedence over other concerns. I attempt to use sculptural form to make space distinct.
– Richard Serra
Gagosian Gallery is pleased to present Junction (2011) and Cycle (2010), two new sculptures by Richard Serra. Serra has pushed the unique sculptural syntax that he developed over the last fifteen years to arrive at entirely new forms in two of his most complex and challenging works to date.
Born in 1938, Richard Serra is one of the most significant artists of his generation. His groundbreaking bodies of work in both sculpture and drawing have been celebrated with major retrospectives at The Museum of Modern Art (“Richard Serra Sculpture Forty Years,” 2007 and “Richard Serra/Sculpture,” 1986) and the current “Richard Serra Drawings: A Retrospective” at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, which will travel this year to SFMOMA and the Menil Collection in Houston. He has produced large-scale, site-specific sculptures for architectural, urban and landscape settings spanning the globe, from Iceland to New Zealand. In addition to his 2008 MONUMENTA installation Promenade at the Grand Palais in Paris, Serra conceived The Matter of Time, an eight-part permanent installation at the Guggenheim Bilbao in 2005.
For further information please contact the gallery at firstname.lastname@example.org or at +212.741.1111.
- Follow on Tumblr - Follow artefuse
FEATURED OPENING: FEDERICO CATTANEO
Artist Kim Kalinoski
Claes Oldenburg | The Street
Claes Oldenburg | The Store
TateShots: Allen Jones on Lichtenstein
1913 | “Contrast of Forms” by Fernand Léger
Arte Fuse Recent Posts
- The Other World III 40" x 60" The Other World I 60" x 43" Interview With Quiet Lunch In her first NYC solo… »
- Ilona Szwarc's "American Girls" June 5th- July 3rd Opening reception: June 5th, 6-8pm Ilona Szwarc's "American… »
- DiGiovanni, ink on gelatin silver print, 16 x 14 inches, 2012 Kim Kalinoski received her Bachelor or Fine Arts degree from… »
- Battle Armor by Karen Heagle Artist Karen Heagle Heraldry and the days of valiant knights are now legendary. Everyone… »
- The art is BOLD yet alluring by Laura Bochet Guests glamour it up at Something in Mind Artist Laura… »
- Jessica Segall, The Thirsty Person, Who Having Found a Spring, Rushes to Drink, Does Not Contemplate Its Beauty (2011), video… »
- Meg Cranston recipient of the Artadia NADA award Hudson of Feature Inc talking to a client at NADA Art Fair Debo… »
- The 81 Foot Balloon Dog by Paul McCarthy greets all at Frieze Art Fair NY 2013 Jack Early at McCaffrey Fine Art Booth … »
- Thomas Witte: "Piazza San Marco" 2012 Hand cut archival paper at Davidson Contemporary Cameron Gray at Mike Weiss… »
- The booth for Galerie Dix9 (R) Bruno Hadjadj Director of cutlog Approximately 45 galleries and curators presented… »