Born and raised on the French Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, Alet received his graduate training at Martinique’s Institut regional d’art visuel. Having acquired a considerable reputation both in France and the Caribbean, he established a studio in New York in the mid-1990s and his work has since been commissioned and exhibited throughout the world.
Alet’s highly recognizable peinture manuscrite forefronts the power and ambiance of handwritten text. Working on a large scale, his murals and canvases are rigorously covered with tightly ranged rows of lettering, often citing significant passages from literature or oration. In its dimension as public speech, his work requires viewers to confront issues of socio-political and cultural import. His efforts, however, are just as significantly a meditation on the deeply human gesture of manual inscription itself.
Amistad: New Work by Thierry Alet, will open on Thurs. April 14. A public reception will be held that evening from 6 – 8PM. Regular gallery hours are Wed. through Fri., 12 – 6PM, and Sat. 10AM – 6PM.
For more information, contact:
Alison M. Pierz, Director
150 West 25th Street
New York, New York, 10001
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Space Between a Group Exhibition Curated by Diana Buckley at Paul Kolker Collection. November 13-16, 2014 Opening Reception Thursday, November 13 from 6-8 PM
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
- Fernando Mendoza Bravo November 2011. “The hour of the Wolf is the hour between night and dawn, when most people… »
- The art set at Driscoll Babcock Judith Lauand at Driscoll Babcock Everything old is new again. The cyclical nature of… »
- Art night in Chelsea at Yancey Richardson Thursday Art Night in Chelsea at Yancey Richardson Artist Bryan Graf … »
- 16.0, Brent Birnbaum, Paint On Treadmill, 57 x 56 x 124 in New York, New York, October 22, 2014—Diana Buckley, guest… »
- Erik Jones working on a huge 5 ft x 12 ft painting A work by Hueman A work by Alex Yanes Hueman with one of her… »
- Between the art of Thomas Scheibitz Opening for Thomas Scheibitz at Tanya Bonakdar Cheers to art on Thursday in… »
- On October 29th Mark Schubin will give a free presentation, as part of National Opera Week, at Neil Scherer’s Going… »
- Some words from Linda Yablonsky. During her life this person has written only one novel but she’s among the most… »
- As Director Richard P. Townsend explained during the press preview, MOBIA is following up its Back to Eden show (reviewed… »
- Egg-before conception Breaking the mold of the sort of artworks shown at Dacia gallery, Ted Barr's "Cycle of Life" show… »