Born and raised on the French Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, Alet received his graduate training at Martinique’s Institut regional d’art visuel. Having acquired a considerable reputation both in France and the Caribbean, he established a studio in New York in the mid-1990s and his work has since been commissioned and exhibited throughout the world.
Alet’s highly recognizable peinture manuscrite forefronts the power and ambiance of handwritten text. Working on a large scale, his murals and canvases are rigorously covered with tightly ranged rows of lettering, often citing significant passages from literature or oration. In its dimension as public speech, his work requires viewers to confront issues of socio-political and cultural import. His efforts, however, are just as significantly a meditation on the deeply human gesture of manual inscription itself.
Amistad: New Work by Thierry Alet, will open on Thurs. April 14. A public reception will be held that evening from 6 – 8PM. Regular gallery hours are Wed. through Fri., 12 – 6PM, and Sat. 10AM – 6PM.
For more information, contact:
Alison M. Pierz, Director
150 West 25th Street
New York, New York, 10001
- Dive into the Deep End of Pool Art Fair
- Opening: Judy Rifka’s “Star Street” Curated by Alison Pierz at Trestle projects
- Judy Rifka: Star Street at Trestle Projects, Brooklyn
- Check out the opening for Milavec Hakimi Gallery Hello World! held at 41 Cooper Square, NYC September 15th
- Check out: Mary Henderson’s The Bathers at Lyons Wier Gallery from May 12 – June 11, 2011
Sign up for our newsletter!
Jason Woodside, Judith Charles Gallery, July 2014
- Gina Minichino, Kiss, 2011 The Curator Gallery, in Chelsea, invites various folks to curate shows on a periodic basis. The… »
- Opening night for The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote at the Lodge Gallery Art by Sirikul Pattachote at The… »
- July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space… »
- Small works on paper from Alissa Blumenthal series Work-in-progress: Istomina's new video based on the footage from… »
- Color Us Happy to be out on ART NIGHT Artist George Horner The borderline between East Side and West Side is… »
- Color Rules in the Art Shows of South Korea Mixing Art with the art crowd in South Korea * AF Editor Note: Deukyun… »
- Amorphic Form 1 (Wave), Iron Amorphic Form 3 (Claw), Bronze In the art world, to utilize the most expensive and… »
- Limones (after Ouka Leele), 2014 Barça 86, 2014 A project space in East Harlem is currently featuring a show by Wendy… »
- Rockaway! was envisioned by Patti Smith and MoMA PS1’s Director, Klaus Biesenbach, both Rockaway residents. Their… »
- A series of sketches and watercolor paintings by Hank Blaustein are currently on view in Chelsea. The exhibition, Drawn… »