Born and raised on the French Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, Alet received his graduate training at Martinique’s Institut regional d’art visuel. Having acquired a considerable reputation both in France and the Caribbean, he established a studio in New York in the mid-1990s and his work has since been commissioned and exhibited throughout the world.
Alet’s highly recognizable peinture manuscrite forefronts the power and ambiance of handwritten text. Working on a large scale, his murals and canvases are rigorously covered with tightly ranged rows of lettering, often citing significant passages from literature or oration. In its dimension as public speech, his work requires viewers to confront issues of socio-political and cultural import. His efforts, however, are just as significantly a meditation on the deeply human gesture of manual inscription itself.
Amistad: New Work by Thierry Alet, will open on Thurs. April 14. A public reception will be held that evening from 6 – 8PM. Regular gallery hours are Wed. through Fri., 12 – 6PM, and Sat. 10AM – 6PM.
For more information, contact:
Alison M. Pierz, Director
150 West 25th Street
New York, New York, 10001
Sign up for our newsletter!
Ryan Piers Williams: Monsters and Landscapes
2015 OPEN CALL AT COOHAUS ART MORA GALLERY
- Thursday Art Night at Dillon Gallery The eyes have it in the work of Santiago Ydanez Artist Santiago Ydanez The… »
- The art crowd at Winston Wachter Gallery The image transformed in the work of Margeaux Walter Artist Margeaux… »
- Maria Constanza Cerullo Chief Curator at MACBA MUseum I AF: MACBA - Museum of Contemporary Art in Buenos Aires opened… »
- Guests enjoying the project 365 DEGREES OF INSTANT FILM at the opening of MONSTERS AND LANDSCAPES exhibition by Ryan Piers… »
- Open Call 2015 at Coohaus Art Mora Stop by the gallery to vote for your favorite piece A guest enjoying the work of… »
- Sculpture by Aaron Spangler Ellen Lesperance TAKE BACK VERMONT! struck me as a timely, relevant and even important type… »
- Sumi ink is made of a type of compressed soot derived from burning plant seed oils, which is then mixed with bone glue.… »
- Exterior of frosch & portmann on the LES frosch & portmann opening reception for Brad Nelson Back in January… »
- So many statements made at the show RESPOND in Smack Mellon Respond at Smack Mellon in DUMBO The Art goers come out… »
- Perusing the art of Erin Smith Amy Li (at center) with guests at the opening for Erin Smith Here is the unusual… »