Born and raised on the French Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, Alet received his graduate training at Martinique’s Institut regional d’art visuel. Having acquired a considerable reputation both in France and the Caribbean, he established a studio in New York in the mid-1990s and his work has since been commissioned and exhibited throughout the world.
Alet’s highly recognizable peinture manuscrite forefronts the power and ambiance of handwritten text. Working on a large scale, his murals and canvases are rigorously covered with tightly ranged rows of lettering, often citing significant passages from literature or oration. In its dimension as public speech, his work requires viewers to confront issues of socio-political and cultural import. His efforts, however, are just as significantly a meditation on the deeply human gesture of manual inscription itself.
Amistad: New Work by Thierry Alet, will open on Thurs. April 14. A public reception will be held that evening from 6 – 8PM. Regular gallery hours are Wed. through Fri., 12 – 6PM, and Sat. 10AM – 6PM.
For more information, contact:
Alison M. Pierz, Director
150 West 25th Street
New York, New York, 10001
- Dive into the Deep End of Pool Art Fair
- Opening: Judy Rifka’s “Star Street” Curated by Alison Pierz at Trestle projects
- Judy Rifka: Star Street at Trestle Projects, Brooklyn
- Check out the opening for Milavec Hakimi Gallery Hello World! held at 41 Cooper Square, NYC September 15th
- Check out: Mary Henderson’s The Bathers at Lyons Wier Gallery from May 12 – June 11, 2011
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Danilo Perez Panama 500 The start of Summer brings a bounty of splendor: beachy days and starry nights, barbeques… »
- Crank a Fish & See the Origins of Consciousness at ISE Cultural Foundation Spiritual fulfilment has often been… »
- Attendees at the MFA Photography Graduate Thesis show at The Sheila C. Johnson Design Center Gallery Commiserating over… »
- Eric Starosielski's studio Eric working on a new price in front of Angkor Wat, Late After Sunset, a back lit… »
- 21st Precinct art show Guests at the opening Over the weekend, the old 21st precinct in NYC hosted an art show with… »
- Art night at COOHAUS in Chelsea Perusing the cool art at COOHAUS Art lovers come out in the summer in Chelsea to cool… »
- Sarah Doherty Heinrichs Opening at New Century Artist Gallery An artful feast in Chelsea on Thursday Art Night Getting… »
- Image: Proposal for White and Indian Dead Monument Transpositions, Washington, D.C., 2005. Medium density fiberboard,… »
- Archeologists have found an area in Turkey which might have inspired the Garden of Eden story. Gobekli Tepe is a region… »
- Sam Trioli, S. (Installation View), courtesy of the artist and Farm Project Space + Gallery In this day and age it seems… »