Fountain Art Fair, an alternative exhibition of avant-garde, independent galleries and art collectives, returns for its 6th year during Armory Arts Week in New York. Opening with a VIP & Press Preview on Thursday, March 3rd, Fountain will feature over 20 projects in its latest and most ambitious exhibition yet. Continuing Fountain’s tradition of supporting underground artwork, Fountain is thrilled to announce its latest addition for New York 2011—a massive collaborative installation by more than ten of the country’s up-and-coming, notorious street artists.
Visitors entering Fountain Art Fair at Pier 66 Maritime will encounter the 100-foot long street art installation stretching along the entrance and exit to the Fair. Fountain has brought together some of the freshest artists from New York and Los Angeles for this site-specific piece, which follows the success of Fountain Miami‘s recent street art installation during December 2010’s Art Basel Miami Beach 2010. The Fountain New York 2011 installation wall will feature work by notable artists CHRIS STAIN, DICKCHICKEN!, FARO, GAIA, SHARK TOOF, CLOWN SOLDIER, LOVE ME, ELLIS G, ALESSANDRO ECHEVARRIA, LEE TRICE and others to be announced. “From the first Fountain show in 2006 with McCaig-Welles, to working with Ad Hoc Art in Miami and New York in 2008 and 2009, to the street art install in Miami 2010, the medium and movement referred to as Street Art has played an integral role in Fountain Art Fair’s development,” said David Kesting, Fountain Art Fair Co-Founder.
Among the 20 art projects and exhibits presented, Grace Exhibition Space will present artists from Mobius Collective performing roaming and sited pieces on Pier 66 Maritime’s Frying Pan lightship throughout the weekend, and video artist Allison Berkoy who will take over the pier’s salvaged train caboose with a multi-media installation. Continuing Fountain’s precedent of recognizing music as a vital contemporary art form, Friday’s public opening night reception (March 4th) will feature a live performance by breakout pop/funk force Gordon Voidwell. He will be joined by the upbeat electro-pop of Tecla. Hip hop/pop-punk trio Ninjasonik will headline Saturday night’s event (March 5).
Recognizing and supporting Fountain’s commitment to up-and-coming, culturally resonant artwork are this year’s sponsors, including standout media institutions and tastemakers such as The Village Voice, Gawker Artists, Flavorpill, The Onion, and The L Magazine. Additional Fountain participants and sponsors will be announced in the coming weeks, as well as more details on the exciting and carefully-culled lineup of exhibits, installations, partners, and events that will push Fountain New York 2011 even further beyond the boundaries of the traditional art fair model.
Fountain Exhibitors: Camel Art Space, Brooklyn * Cheap & Plastique, Brooklyn * Christina Ray Gallery, New York * G-Spotpresents: Cronin-Smith-Rose, Brooklyn* Grace Exhibition Space, Brooklyn * Leo Kesting Gallery, New York * The Marketplace Gallery, Albany * Marianne Nems Gallery, New York * McCaig-Welles, San Francisco * Microscope Gallery, Brooklyn * Mighty Tanaka, Brooklyn * Murder Lounge, Boston/New York * Temporary States, Brooklyn * Thaddeus Kwiat Projects, New York * We-Are-Familia, New York * What It Is, Chicago Independent Artist Projects: Allison Berkoy, Brooklyn * Danni Rash & GILF!, New York * Evo Love, Miami * Greg Haberny, New York * Marni Kotak and Jason Robert Bell, Brooklyn * Mark Demos, New York
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 21st Precinct art show Guests at the opening Over the weekend, the old 21st precinct in NYC hosted an art show with… »
- Art night at COOHAUS in Chelsea Perusing the cool art at COOHAUS Art lovers come out in the summer in Chelsea to cool… »
- Sarah Doherty Heinrichs Opening at New Century Artist Gallery An artful feast in Chelsea on Thursday Art Night Getting… »
- Image: Proposal for White and Indian Dead Monument Transpositions, Washington, D.C., 2005. Medium density fiberboard,… »
- Archeologists have found an area in Turkey which might have inspired the Garden of Eden story. Gobekli Tepe is a region… »
- Sam Trioli, S. (Installation View), courtesy of the artist and Farm Project Space + Gallery In this day and age it seems… »
- DMAC-Duo Multicultural Arts Center, East Village, NYC is seeking works for its group show/performance art installation: Art… »
- A few days ago I went to see a slide presentation by performance and video artist Dread Scott; the event was part of a… »
- Sarah C. Rutherford, “Ocellus", Stain, Acrylic and Wood Burning, 48in x 92in Guests at the opening checking out the… »
- Inside and Out is a group show curated by Suechung Koh at Elga Wimmer Hyun Contemporary. The connecting thread through the… »