Fountain Art Fair, an alternative exhibition of avant-garde, independent galleries and art collectives, returns for its 6th year during Armory Arts Week in New York. Opening with a VIP & Press Preview on Thursday, March 3rd, Fountain will feature over 20 projects in its latest and most ambitious exhibition yet. Continuing Fountain’s tradition of supporting underground artwork, Fountain is thrilled to announce its latest addition for New York 2011—a massive collaborative installation by more than ten of the country’s up-and-coming, notorious street artists.
Visitors entering Fountain Art Fair at Pier 66 Maritime will encounter the 100-foot long street art installation stretching along the entrance and exit to the Fair. Fountain has brought together some of the freshest artists from New York and Los Angeles for this site-specific piece, which follows the success of Fountain Miami‘s recent street art installation during December 2010’s Art Basel Miami Beach 2010. The Fountain New York 2011 installation wall will feature work by notable artists CHRIS STAIN, DICKCHICKEN!, FARO, GAIA, SHARK TOOF, CLOWN SOLDIER, LOVE ME, ELLIS G, ALESSANDRO ECHEVARRIA, LEE TRICE and others to be announced. “From the first Fountain show in 2006 with McCaig-Welles, to working with Ad Hoc Art in Miami and New York in 2008 and 2009, to the street art install in Miami 2010, the medium and movement referred to as Street Art has played an integral role in Fountain Art Fair’s development,” said David Kesting, Fountain Art Fair Co-Founder.
Among the 20 art projects and exhibits presented, Grace Exhibition Space will present artists from Mobius Collective performing roaming and sited pieces on Pier 66 Maritime’s Frying Pan lightship throughout the weekend, and video artist Allison Berkoy who will take over the pier’s salvaged train caboose with a multi-media installation. Continuing Fountain’s precedent of recognizing music as a vital contemporary art form, Friday’s public opening night reception (March 4th) will feature a live performance by breakout pop/funk force Gordon Voidwell. He will be joined by the upbeat electro-pop of Tecla. Hip hop/pop-punk trio Ninjasonik will headline Saturday night’s event (March 5).
Recognizing and supporting Fountain’s commitment to up-and-coming, culturally resonant artwork are this year’s sponsors, including standout media institutions and tastemakers such as The Village Voice, Gawker Artists, Flavorpill, The Onion, and The L Magazine. Additional Fountain participants and sponsors will be announced in the coming weeks, as well as more details on the exciting and carefully-culled lineup of exhibits, installations, partners, and events that will push Fountain New York 2011 even further beyond the boundaries of the traditional art fair model.
Fountain Exhibitors: Camel Art Space, Brooklyn * Cheap & Plastique, Brooklyn * Christina Ray Gallery, New York * G-Spotpresents: Cronin-Smith-Rose, Brooklyn* Grace Exhibition Space, Brooklyn * Leo Kesting Gallery, New York * The Marketplace Gallery, Albany * Marianne Nems Gallery, New York * McCaig-Welles, San Francisco * Microscope Gallery, Brooklyn * Mighty Tanaka, Brooklyn * Murder Lounge, Boston/New York * Temporary States, Brooklyn * Thaddeus Kwiat Projects, New York * We-Are-Familia, New York * What It Is, Chicago Independent Artist Projects: Allison Berkoy, Brooklyn * Danni Rash & GILF!, New York * Evo Love, Miami * Greg Haberny, New York * Marni Kotak and Jason Robert Bell, Brooklyn * Mark Demos, New York
Sign up for our newsletter!
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
COJO, Castle Fitzjohns Gallery, September 2014
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- Mikhail Larionov (1881-1964), Abstract Composition, 1910, Pencil and watercolor on paper, 16.5 x 12 in / 41.9 x 30.4… »
- Moyra Davey, Diaries III, 2014, Digital C-print, tape, postage, ink, 12 x 18 inches Moyra Davey Burn the Diaries ICA… »
- In 1984 E.O. Wilson wrote the book Biophilia, which theorized that there was an inherent attraction that humans felt toward… »
- Studying details in the art of Antonio Petracca Close Up detail on the work of Antonio Petracca for Mezzogiorno Artist… »
- Thursday Art Night at FLOWERS Gallery Close Up Detail on work by Renny Tait It is the Major Duomo of ART Fun is on… »
- Sara MacCulloch Opening at Kathryn Markel Fine Arts Thursday Art Night at 529 West 20th Street Building at Kathryn Markel… »
- Birgit Brenner, Sleep, 2014,Wood, paint, paper, 47.2 x 24 inchesimage courtesy of Marc Straus gallery Birgit Brenner,… »
- Over the canyon, behind the pain. That's where we'll find out way home by Jay Riggio hand cut collage on vellum paper 11 x 14… »
- In Halley Zien’s current work at BravinLee programs, she uses a combination of collage and painting to create small… »
- Rima Fujita, Avidya, 68x58 inches; mixed media on canvas Michela Martello, me on, work in progress for the installation,… »