Fountain Art Fair, an alternative exhibition of avant-garde, independent galleries and art collectives, returns for its 6th year during Armory Arts Week in New York. Opening with a VIP & Press Preview on Thursday, March 3rd, Fountain will feature over 20 projects in its latest and most ambitious exhibition yet. Continuing Fountain’s tradition of supporting underground artwork, Fountain is thrilled to announce its latest addition for New York 2011—a massive collaborative installation by more than ten of the country’s up-and-coming, notorious street artists.
Visitors entering Fountain Art Fair at Pier 66 Maritime will encounter the 100-foot long street art installation stretching along the entrance and exit to the Fair. Fountain has brought together some of the freshest artists from New York and Los Angeles for this site-specific piece, which follows the success of Fountain Miami‘s recent street art installation during December 2010’s Art Basel Miami Beach 2010. The Fountain New York 2011 installation wall will feature work by notable artists CHRIS STAIN, DICKCHICKEN!, FARO, GAIA, SHARK TOOF, CLOWN SOLDIER, LOVE ME, ELLIS G, ALESSANDRO ECHEVARRIA, LEE TRICE and others to be announced. “From the first Fountain show in 2006 with McCaig-Welles, to working with Ad Hoc Art in Miami and New York in 2008 and 2009, to the street art install in Miami 2010, the medium and movement referred to as Street Art has played an integral role in Fountain Art Fair’s development,” said David Kesting, Fountain Art Fair Co-Founder.
Among the 20 art projects and exhibits presented, Grace Exhibition Space will present artists from Mobius Collective performing roaming and sited pieces on Pier 66 Maritime’s Frying Pan lightship throughout the weekend, and video artist Allison Berkoy who will take over the pier’s salvaged train caboose with a multi-media installation. Continuing Fountain’s precedent of recognizing music as a vital contemporary art form, Friday’s public opening night reception (March 4th) will feature a live performance by breakout pop/funk force Gordon Voidwell. He will be joined by the upbeat electro-pop of Tecla. Hip hop/pop-punk trio Ninjasonik will headline Saturday night’s event (March 5).
Recognizing and supporting Fountain’s commitment to up-and-coming, culturally resonant artwork are this year’s sponsors, including standout media institutions and tastemakers such as The Village Voice, Gawker Artists, Flavorpill, The Onion, and The L Magazine. Additional Fountain participants and sponsors will be announced in the coming weeks, as well as more details on the exciting and carefully-culled lineup of exhibits, installations, partners, and events that will push Fountain New York 2011 even further beyond the boundaries of the traditional art fair model.
Fountain Exhibitors: Camel Art Space, Brooklyn * Cheap & Plastique, Brooklyn * Christina Ray Gallery, New York * G-Spotpresents: Cronin-Smith-Rose, Brooklyn* Grace Exhibition Space, Brooklyn * Leo Kesting Gallery, New York * The Marketplace Gallery, Albany * Marianne Nems Gallery, New York * McCaig-Welles, San Francisco * Microscope Gallery, Brooklyn * Mighty Tanaka, Brooklyn * Murder Lounge, Boston/New York * Temporary States, Brooklyn * Thaddeus Kwiat Projects, New York * We-Are-Familia, New York * What It Is, Chicago Independent Artist Projects: Allison Berkoy, Brooklyn * Danni Rash & GILF!, New York * Evo Love, Miami * Greg Haberny, New York * Marni Kotak and Jason Robert Bell, Brooklyn * Mark Demos, New York
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Madness of Art — Season 1, Episode 1: Tony
- Imagine listening to the first phone conversation Maayan Strauss might have had with the Kohler Company to ask for the… »
- Dogon, Granary Doors, Mali, wood with iron staples, 21” x 16” Kadir Nelson, Barber Shop, oil on canvas, 2014, 50"x… »
- The interior of Marc Straus Gallery with works by John Newsom John Newsom makes ART that can pounce and… »
- Opening night at Arlene's Grocery (L-R) Art by Danielle Mastrion, Whisbe and Michael Serafino Artist Cojo next to his… »
- In November 2013 Scooter LaForge and Johnny Rozsa set out on a cross-country car ride with Rozsa’s three dogs and a first… »
- Elise P. Church, T-Cells, paper, photographs, ink, graphite21 x 14 in., 2014, image courtesy of Molly Krom Gallery Elise… »
- You may have seen some of Bruce Davenport Jr.’s work at the recent Outsider Art Fair in New York City. For this current show… »
- Katya Grokhovsky, Disturbance, 2015, mixed media, found objects, photo: Peter Gynd Katya Grokhovsky, Lips, 2014, mixed… »
- Clio art fair 2015 CLIO ART FAIR returns for its 2nd year in NYC March 5th – 8th at 508-526 West 26th Street… »