Visual art is a manifestation of the whole in a particular, an attempt to frame the chaos. I strive to create images that penetrate through walls of enculturation and artificially constructed otherness. The beautiful is recognized viscerally; feelings need no verbal explanation. I want to strip the cultural, the acquired, the imposed and reveal the essential that remains. Nudity divulges secrets, and a portrait is merely a nude focused on the face. Faces protrude from our collars like plants rising above the ground from their roots. At times they betray sensations of the flesh hidden behind the mask of personal adornment. Conversely, a psychic event may be so intense it crosses into the realm of the physical. This intersection fascinates me as an artist. It is in these moments of utmost intensity that we are united.
|Orchard Windows Gallery
37 Orchard St.
New York, NY 10002
Sign up for our newsletter!
- NEW YORK—A+E Studios is pleased to present Chasing Unicorns: Mythologies of Progress in American Landscapes, a group… »
- Matt Ducklo, 240, 2013, gelatin silver print, 24 x 20 inchescourtesy of LAUNCH F 18 gallery When I first saw Matt… »
- Deborah G. Nehmad uses paper as a type of surrogate material for human skin, and, therefore, by extension, for the human… »
- Martin Beck at 47 Canal Artist Martin Beck being reflective Thoughtful and cerebral art can be made well and captivate… »
- The art multitude at Foley Gallery Michael Foley on the left during the opening Celebrating its 20th Issue, the… »
- The energy of emotion at Clen Gallery, panoramic view (Middle) Clelia Zolli with friends “Build awareness, test new… »
- As the title of this show at Flowers implies, Lucy Jones openly defies expectations in regard to who is ‘supposed’ to… »
- Le Corbusier’s intentions were sincere. He saw poor folks living in dark, dirty, unhealthful and crowded slums and felt… »
- Christine Mackey – AC Institute The county you live in, in NY State, can mean a great deal to folks from other counties… »
- Regal Morbid Beauty as done by Joseph Grazi Art imitating Life or the other way around All artists are charged with the… »