Visual art is a manifestation of the whole in a particular, an attempt to frame the chaos. I strive to create images that penetrate through walls of enculturation and artificially constructed otherness. The beautiful is recognized viscerally; feelings need no verbal explanation. I want to strip the cultural, the acquired, the imposed and reveal the essential that remains. Nudity divulges secrets, and a portrait is merely a nude focused on the face. Faces protrude from our collars like plants rising above the ground from their roots. At times they betray sensations of the flesh hidden behind the mask of personal adornment. Conversely, a psychic event may be so intense it crosses into the realm of the physical. This intersection fascinates me as an artist. It is in these moments of utmost intensity that we are united.
|Orchard Windows Gallery
37 Orchard St.
New York, NY 10002
Sign up for our newsletter!
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- Artist Armando Marino Skylight gallery mistook his wife for a hat, or rather her husband since the gallery is directed… »
- Interrelated Echoes, 2014, (view 1) Steel, 62" x 41" So you’ve seen Leonardo’s Vitruvian Man – the… »
- Chambers Fine Art and Francis Naumann Fine Art have teamed up to present some of Ai Wei Wei’s latest work, along with a… »
- After two intense weeks of attending openings to kick-off the Fall 2014 Art Season, AF went back to Chelsea for… »
- Co-owner Frank Maresca Our final stop for the evening was Body Electric curated by Margot Mifflin at Ricco… »
- Iranian born New York based Samira Abbassy’s solo exhibition Conflicting Narratives: Series of Eternal War at B2OA… »
- Sometimes Brian Calvin paints a slightly open mouth against a plain background. Sometimes he presents an image of this… »
- Welcome to art night on Wednesday in NOLITA at Rebecca Hossack Gallery Wednesday night in NOLITA is alive with their art… »
- Definitely not a wall flower with this piece “Wear It Loud” at R|R Gallery Art +Jewelry Exhibition—Mercedes… »
- The Trygve Lie Gallery, located on the lower level of the Norwegian Seaman Church in Midtown East, is currently… »