SUBURBAN LEGENDS is a collective exhibition of personalized work done by painter Abbey Golden and photographer Chase Coughlin. Although the work appears to be opposite in nearly every respect at first glance, the efforts of both artists are that much more exemplified with the presence of their contrast. Where Coughlin extracts vital colors and details ominously through chemical treatment, Golden freely uses a pastel color scheme and focuses on characteristic details. As the title suggests, both artists have sentimental, reflective themes and imagery, inspired by personal feelings of isolation in the neighborhoods in which they were raised. Both seem to mockingly portray these communities; Golden through her portrayal of the posh self-indulgences of well-bred youth and Coughlin through his display of the narrow-mindedness and decay found in his native mountain town. As a whole, the show has an overarching sense of voyeurism, nostalgia, and melancholy.
Sign up for our newsletter!
The Madness of Art — Season 1, Episode 1: Tony
- Installation view of Alison Rossiter’s “Paper Wait,” Yossi Milo Gallery© Thomas Seely, Courtesy Yossi Milo Gallery, New… »
- More Bradley Hart work at Anna Zorina Gallery Close Up on a sculpture by Bradley Hart Back in March 2013, I had my… »
- Art Lovers at Kim Foster Gallery Artist Kathleen Mulcahy Art by Ron Desmett Thursday Art Night at Kim Foster… »
- Perusing the art at Metro Pictures Check Mate on Art Night in Chelsea The art crowd at Metro Pictures in Chelsea … »
- The origin of the current show at Mayson Pop-Up Space, at 98 Orchard Street (the basement space at Castle Fitzjohns),… »
- Imagine listening to the first phone conversation Maayan Strauss might have had with the Kohler Company to ask for the… »
- Dogon, Granary Doors, Mali, wood with iron staples, 21” x 16” Kadir Nelson, Barber Shop, oil on canvas, 2014, 50"x… »
- The interior of Marc Straus Gallery with works by John Newsom John Newsom makes ART that can pounce and… »
- Opening night at Arlene's Grocery (L-R) Art by Danielle Mastrion, Whisbe and Michael Serafino Artist Cojo next to his… »
BROWSE OUR ARCHIVES
Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.