SUBURBAN LEGENDS is a collective exhibition of personalized work done by painter Abbey Golden and photographer Chase Coughlin. Although the work appears to be opposite in nearly every respect at first glance, the efforts of both artists are that much more exemplified with the presence of their contrast. Where Coughlin extracts vital colors and details ominously through chemical treatment, Golden freely uses a pastel color scheme and focuses on characteristic details. As the title suggests, both artists have sentimental, reflective themes and imagery, inspired by personal feelings of isolation in the neighborhoods in which they were raised. Both seem to mockingly portray these communities; Golden through her portrayal of the posh self-indulgences of well-bred youth and Coughlin through his display of the narrow-mindedness and decay found in his native mountain town. As a whole, the show has an overarching sense of voyeurism, nostalgia, and melancholy.
- Check out: Jonathan Fritz’s solo show at Orchard Windows gallery which opens December 17th located on 37 Orchard street
- Check out: Jonathan Fritz's solo show at Orchard Windows gallery which opens December 17th located on 37 Orchard street
- Windows Gallery presents: Scott Weingarten “Women and nature series” from Dec 27, 2010-Jan 06, 2011
- Windows Gallery presents: Scott Weingarten "Women and nature series" from Dec 27, 2010-Jan 06, 2011
- Windows Gallery Presents: Jody and Cheryl Fallon.November 22-30th
Sign up for our newsletter!
Jason Woodside, Judith Charles Gallery, July 2014
- Performance Art at Mixed Greens Gallery A Botero Piece at Sundaram Tagore Gallery for Chelsea Art Walk 2014 Last July… »
- Seeing summer group exhibitions in New York is like maintaining a steady exercise routine or going to family reunions -… »
- Ever Blossoming Life (Gold) A group of Japanese artists known as teamLab are currently presenting a compilation of… »
- Gina Minichino, Kiss, 2011 The Curator Gallery, in Chelsea, invites various folks to curate shows on a periodic basis. The… »
- Opening night for The Second Life of Flowers by Sirikul Pattachote at the Lodge Gallery Art by Sirikul Pattachote at The… »
- July 17 2014. The evening saw the opening reception of Sophie Gaucher’s Constellations at Museum Quality, a concept space… »
- Small works on paper from Alissa Blumenthal series Work-in-progress: Istomina's new video based on the footage from… »
- Color Us Happy to be out on ART NIGHT Artist George Horner The borderline between East Side and West Side is… »
- Color Rules in the Art Shows of South Korea Mixing Art with the art crowd in South Korea * AF Editor Note: Deukyun… »
- Amorphic Form 1 (Wave), Iron Amorphic Form 3 (Claw), Bronze In the art world, to utilize the most expensive and… »
BROWSE OUR ARCHIVES
Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.