SUBURBAN LEGENDS is a collective exhibition of personalized work done by painter Abbey Golden and photographer Chase Coughlin. Although the work appears to be opposite in nearly every respect at first glance, the efforts of both artists are that much more exemplified with the presence of their contrast. Where Coughlin extracts vital colors and details ominously through chemical treatment, Golden freely uses a pastel color scheme and focuses on characteristic details. As the title suggests, both artists have sentimental, reflective themes and imagery, inspired by personal feelings of isolation in the neighborhoods in which they were raised. Both seem to mockingly portray these communities; Golden through her portrayal of the posh self-indulgences of well-bred youth and Coughlin through his display of the narrow-mindedness and decay found in his native mountain town. As a whole, the show has an overarching sense of voyeurism, nostalgia, and melancholy.
- Check out: Jonathan Fritz’s solo show at Orchard Windows gallery which opens December 17th located on 37 Orchard street
- Check out: Jonathan Fritz's solo show at Orchard Windows gallery which opens December 17th located on 37 Orchard street
- Windows Gallery presents: Scott Weingarten “Women and nature series” from Dec 27, 2010-Jan 06, 2011
- Windows Gallery presents: Scott Weingarten "Women and nature series" from Dec 27, 2010-Jan 06, 2011
- Windows Gallery Presents: Jody and Cheryl Fallon.November 22-30th
Sign up for our newsletter!
Oscar Murillo At David Zwirner Gallery
- Nancy Reed - vocals Listening to Jazz music is often associated with the famous rooms of major cities. This setting… »
- This month, four artists come together to participate in the latest group show New Acquaintances—works by GAMA, Fu… »
- Caspar David Friedrich The artists of the Romantic Movement could see science coming, and it wasn’t pretty. Science… »
- Jack Youngerman, Blackfoil Beverly Pepper, Homage The 188th Annual shows that the National Academy continues as an arts… »
- The largest retrospective ever held of a single artist at the Whitney Museum, it’s not a secret, is the… »
- Jerry Kearns, Heaven’s Gate, 2014, Pigment print and acrylic on canvas, 36 x 48 inches Jerry Kearns,BAM BAM,… »
- Artist Profile: Adam Kiger Artist Profile: Adam Kiger Columbus native, Adam Kiger, comes from a long line of acrylic… »
- Last Friday night, Arte Fuse headed to Brooklyn to check out some shows in Bushwick. Our last stop on the agenda was… »
- Yasushi Nakamura - bass, Ben Perowsky - drums Fat Cat It is difficult to succinctly write about pianist, Jon Davis. … »
- Although Tiananmen Square is referenced in the notes for the show “Square” by Zhang Dali (at Klein Sun Gallery), I… »
BROWSE OUR ARCHIVES
Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.