SUBURBAN LEGENDS is a collective exhibition of personalized work done by painter Abbey Golden and photographer Chase Coughlin. Although the work appears to be opposite in nearly every respect at first glance, the efforts of both artists are that much more exemplified with the presence of their contrast. Where Coughlin extracts vital colors and details ominously through chemical treatment, Golden freely uses a pastel color scheme and focuses on characteristic details. As the title suggests, both artists have sentimental, reflective themes and imagery, inspired by personal feelings of isolation in the neighborhoods in which they were raised. Both seem to mockingly portray these communities; Golden through her portrayal of the posh self-indulgences of well-bred youth and Coughlin through his display of the narrow-mindedness and decay found in his native mountain town. As a whole, the show has an overarching sense of voyeurism, nostalgia, and melancholy.
Sign up for our newsletter!
Antonio Petracca, Kim Foster Gallery, October 2014
Julien Levy, Garis & Hahn, October 2014
COJO, Castle Fitzjohns Gallery, September 2014
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Leila Heller Gallery, September 2014
- As Director Richard P. Townsend explained during the press preview, MOBIA is following up its Back to Eden show (reviewed… »
- Egg-before conception Breaking the mold of the sort of artworks shown at Dacia gallery, Ted Barr's "Cycle of Life" show… »
- Mikhail Larionov (1881-1964), Abstract Composition, 1910, Pencil and watercolor on paper, 16.5 x 12 in / 41.9 x 30.4… »
- Moyra Davey, Diaries III, 2014, Digital C-print, tape, postage, ink, 12 x 18 inches Moyra Davey Burn the Diaries ICA… »
- In 1984 E.O. Wilson wrote the book Biophilia, which theorized that there was an inherent attraction that humans felt toward… »
- Studying details in the art of Antonio Petracca Close Up detail on the work of Antonio Petracca for Mezzogiorno Artist… »
- Thursday Art Night at FLOWERS Gallery Close Up Detail on work by Renny Tait It is the Major Duomo of ART Fun is on… »
- Sara MacCulloch Opening at Kathryn Markel Fine Arts Thursday Art Night at 529 West 20th Street Building at Kathryn Markel… »
- Birgit Brenner, Sleep, 2014,Wood, paint, paper, 47.2 x 24 inchesimage courtesy of Marc Straus gallery Birgit Brenner,… »
- Over the canyon, behind the pain. That's where we'll find out way home by Jay Riggio hand cut collage on vellum paper 11 x 14… »
BROWSE OUR ARCHIVES
Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.