SUBURBAN LEGENDS is a collective exhibition of personalized work done by painter Abbey Golden and photographer Chase Coughlin. Although the work appears to be opposite in nearly every respect at first glance, the efforts of both artists are that much more exemplified with the presence of their contrast. Where Coughlin extracts vital colors and details ominously through chemical treatment, Golden freely uses a pastel color scheme and focuses on characteristic details. As the title suggests, both artists have sentimental, reflective themes and imagery, inspired by personal feelings of isolation in the neighborhoods in which they were raised. Both seem to mockingly portray these communities; Golden through her portrayal of the posh self-indulgences of well-bred youth and Coughlin through his display of the narrow-mindedness and decay found in his native mountain town. As a whole, the show has an overarching sense of voyeurism, nostalgia, and melancholy.
Sign up for our newsletter!
Ryan Piers Williams: Monsters and Landscapes
2015 OPEN CALL AT COOHAUS ART MORA GALLERY
- Guests enjoying the project 365 DEGREES OF INSTANT FILM at the opening of MONSTERS AND LANDSCAPES exhibition by Ryan Piers… »
- Open Call 2015 at Coohaus Art Mora Stop by the gallery to vote for your favorite piece A guest enjoying the work of… »
- Sculpture by Aaron Spangler Ellen Lesperance TAKE BACK VERMONT! struck me as a timely, relevant and even important type… »
- Sumi ink is made of a type of compressed soot derived from burning plant seed oils, which is then mixed with bone glue.… »
- Exterior of frosch & portmann on the LES frosch & portmann opening reception for Brad Nelson Back in January… »
- So many statements made at the show RESPOND in Smack Mellon Respond at Smack Mellon in DUMBO The Art goers come out… »
- Perusing the art of Erin Smith Amy Li (at center) with guests at the opening for Erin Smith Here is the unusual… »
- As the cognitive psychologist Jerome Bruner pointed out, before children can visually represent anything, they scribble.… »
- As he was being forced to leave the USA, in 1948, the composer Hanns Eisler read this statement to the press: “I leave… »
- Guest enjoying the work of Julia Sinelnikova Opening night for Magick Show at Galerie Protégé Folks who like to… »
BROWSE OUR ARCHIVES
Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.